• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 2
10 10

190 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2023 at 3:52 AM, zzutak said:

While I agree with this aspect of your assessment, I still believe that "moving on" is the less problematic path.  These contests are intended to be entertaining (as opposed to "life changing").  We're being asked to predict CGC grades based on very limited data (namely, two flat scans).  As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we're not able to examine a "live" specimen up close means that the data upon which we base our grade will ALWAYS be incomplete.  Irritating?  Perhaps, but only at the same level as, say, a hangnail.  meh

I judged the ASM #38 to be a 6.0 with no suspicion that the interior was stained.  In other words, I don't think this particular hidden and undisclosed defect affects the book's grade.  However, as I mentioned a few pages back, I did get crushed on the HOS #92 (my 7.5 vs CGC's 5.5 -- my first-ever four grade increment whiff  :cry: ).  Once Mike posts the full Round 2 grade distribution data, I think we'll see that most of the more experienced participants made comparable judgments.

A do-over will set a precedent that we will absolutely, positively come to regret at some point down the road.  :preach:  Trust me on this.  :foryou:

I had the same grades as you on the ASM 38 and HOS 92, and agree with your assessment on both. I also don’t think I’ve missed a grade by 4 increments before either. Heck, I still don’t see staining on the HOS 92…lol

We all had the same info going in, so put me in the camp for no do-over. It should be interesting to see the results as is.

On 7/30/2023 at 2:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

We are given five days each round to grade the books but were given only a 30 minute window to comment on whether an error which may have a material impact would be allowed to stand.

I'll second that emotion! Let 's see how the rankings change with the 2nd round scores. This kind of error could hurt those who know how to grade for such defects and boost those who don't.

CGCMike asked for everyone’s opinion, after the reveal, regarding the graders notes for the two books he had concerns about. Some people were available to respond immediately and others the next day.

I’ve always gotten the impression that the participants of these Grading games are extremely grateful and appreciative of CGCMike and his willingness and enthusiasm toward running these games.

Having a civil discourse regarding one’s opinion on this unprecedented event shouldn’t outrightly threaten future participation or CGCMike’s involvement.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:35 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I did slightly better this round with 5 points instead of 7. Nailed the grade on More Fun #102 . However I had no confidence in my 4.0 grade for Harvey Library #1. With the large split and multiple pages showing it seemed like 4.0 was being generous. (shrug)

Confidence would be nice! I'm just trying to patiently wait until I'm on a bigger monitor, in short, to avoid the phone or tablet. It hasn't given more "confidence" but has been probably "a" key to consistency !

Not bad on 5 points though  :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM