• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 3
9 9

155 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 8/1/2023 at 2:26 PM, ashsaytr said:

hey Mike ... you sent a "grades recorded" to me yesterday... but if you would like i can send again!

Sorry for the flag.  If I said grades recorded, you should be on the spreadsheet.

• Administrator

This round is closed.  The results coming in a few, followed by the graders notes.  I will not be posting a link to round 4 for about 1 1/2 hours.  I need to record several people's grades on the spreadsheet first.  It is hard to record grades for round 3 when grades from the next round are being sent.  The results should be posted tomorrow.  

• Administrator

Motion Picture #110

Wear and stress lines spine breaks color

Creasing left bottom of cover

Creasing full top of cover

War Fury #1

Moderate creasing to cover

Light staining to cover

HOS #4

Wear full bottom of cover

Spine stress lines and wear spine

Wear full top of cover

Strange Tales #114

Small tear left center of back cover

Light multiple creases front cover

Light multiple creases back cover

Spine stress lines to cover

FF Annual #6

Light wear all corners of cover

Light wear all edges of cover

On 8/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, jcjames said:

This was an easier round I think - but I don't know WHAT I was seeing in that HoS to give it a 4.5 

Maybe the top f/b cover chipping. I dunno. 

I went back and forth on that chipping too. And I was gun-shy from my terrible 15 point performance last round (5 of which were on the HoS 92). So I just went with my gut.

9 pts for me this round.  Only 1 off on 4 books, but 5 off on the Strange Tales.  I thought those were stains on the top left front cover, but no mention in the notes.  Distributor's ink?  Also marked it down for the spine wear.  I've got a 6.0 that looks way better than this ST.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:06 PM, Cerebus3000 said:

Wow. Best round ever for me. Four bullseyes and a total of one point. It almost makes up for my 10 point round two.

Good job on the 1 point! Similar results for me. In round 2 I had my worst ever round with 10 points, and in round 3 I had my best ever round with 2 points.

I didn't blow it this time, unless you count War Fury #1. If you count that, then I blew it. I got 2 bulls-eyes (HoS and ST), and two single pointers (MP and FF ann). And then on War Fury, after getting pummeled on the Thing, which I think was over-graded by a full point (and think 29 fellow boardies here agree), I decided to be arbitrarily generous and gave it a 6. Bad move. Cost me 4 points, for a total score this round of 6, and a cumulative score of 18 for all three rounds.

A few questions from someone who bombed this round but is trying to learn (memo to self - bump your grades by .5 regardless of what you think you see)…

House of secrets - is that not a stain on the back cover by the ‘salve’?

Strange Tales - is that spot above the torch’s head considered distributor’s ink?  Also did they count the CB crease in the torch’s leg a printers crease?

I was 

5.5 way low -minor spine split, small tears, cover creasing

3.5 close enough

4.5 small pieces out FC, stain on rear, small spine split

4.0 spine stress, foreign substance on FC, colour breaking crease FC, readers crease

8.0 close enough

ugh 13. After a 5 last round…

thanks in advance for comments and opinions!

On 8/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, paqart said:

I didn't blow it this time, unless you count War Fury #1. If you count that, then I blew it. I got 2 bulls-eyes (HoS and ST), and two single pointers (MP and FF ann). And then on War Fury, after getting pummeled on the Thing, which I think was over-graded by a full point (and think 29 fellow boardies here agree), I decided to be arbitrarily generous and gave it a 6. Bad move. Cost me 4 points, for a total score this round of 6, and a cumulative score of 18 for all three rounds.

Not bad at all - you're still ahead of me, and I managed 6 bullseyes so far across the 3 rounds! I'm sitting at 22 - that's how poorly I did on round 2... :tonofbricks: