• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 3
9 9

155 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 5:28 PM, Panda2 said:

A few questions from someone who bombed this round but is trying to learn (memo to self - bump your grades by .5 regardless of what you think you see)…

House of secrets - is that not a stain on the back cover by the ‘salve’?

Strange Tales - is that spot above the torch’s head considered distributor’s ink?  Also did they count the CB crease in the torch’s leg a printers crease?

I was 

5.5 way low -minor spine split, small tears, cover creasing

3.5 close enough

4.5 small pieces out FC, stain on rear, small spine split

4.0 spine stress, foreign substance on FC, colour breaking crease FC, readers crease

8.0 close enough

ugh 13. After a 5 last round…

thanks in advance for comments and opinions!

That did look like a printer's crease to me on The Torch's leg.  But I also marked way down for that spot above his head and a couple of spots above the T in Strange.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Not bad at all - you're still ahead of me, and I managed 6 bullseyes so far across the 3 rounds! I'm sitting at 22 - that's how poorly I did on round 2... :tonofbricks:

Ouch. I have 4 bulls-eyes, but several single and two point deductions. Today was the first deduction over 2. Arg. We'll see what the next round looks like, but for now, I'm just hoping for a respectable score.

Whoa that first book threw me!

That spine, but I didn't take into account the page edge. doh! gave it a 4.5, 10 points total with 5 being on that book alone doh

Still my first bullseyes of the contest I think, with two of them, there may have been other rounds I don't recall. But Dan off by five oye!

Not a bad round overall with 5 points and one bull. That's a pretty generous 7.0 on that MP #110 (shrug)

Motion Picture #110 - 6.0

War Fury #1 - 4.5

HoS #4 - 5.5

Strange Tales #114 - 7.5

FF Annual #6 - 8.5

On 8/1/2023 at 7:35 PM, zzutak said:

A question for @CGC Mike (which you can respond to at the conclusion of the contest):  Are all 20 books being assessed/certified by the same CGC grader during a single session?  hm

Also, are they being graded on Monday, or later in the week?

On a full stomach?

Is it raining outside?

Does the grader seem to have a healthy libido?

On 8/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Whoa that first book threw me!

That spine, but I didn't take into account the page edge. doh! gave it a 4.5, 10 points total with 5 being on that book alone doh

Still my first bullseyes of the contest I think, with two of them, there may have been other rounds I don't recall. But Dan off by five oye!

Same. With the lower shredded spine split and a constellation of creases bottom left front cover… 7.0 is quite puzzling. ???Otherwise I was close with everything. That said… in four rounds, one bad miss is all it takes to torpedo you. :pullhair:

I think my worst round ever...10 points. 

I saw creasing and tears on the Motion Picture book at the bottom, and I had the FF Annual at 8.5 but I lowered it to 7.5 after reading the grading book that said there were deductions for wormholes and transfer stains (which the grader forgot to mention;) 

It's OK, last round I got 4 points, it will even out, I'm happy if I can stay in the top 50

So... that FF Annual. Am I going nuts, or does it have a small edge tear BC top, and what are those marks/paper losses along the top edge of the FC? I had it at 6.5

And I assume that distributor ink is given a pass - even when it spots onto the FC proper instead of on the top edge?

On 8/1/2023 at 9:11 PM, AJD said:

And I assume that distributor ink is given a pass - even when it spots onto the FC proper instead of on the top edge?

I think the BC "tear" is a stain, the front cover damage are  wormholes...distributor ink is given a pass, but there is also a transfer stain. I don't think distributor's ink has never been red, so I figured it was a transfer stain..and that right open edge looks funky, but I'm guessing it's the famous "camera glare".

Edited by skypinkblu

• Administrator
On 8/1/2023 at 9:10 PM, paqart said:

@CGC Mike How do you deal with ties? There are a lot of people with the same total score. There is less of that with the better scores, but it certainly seems possible you'll have one or more ties for the top three spots.

We will do a tiebreaker round if necessary.  If there is still a tie, we will use this to determine final rankings:

1) Most cumulative Bullseyes

2) Most Books off by 1 grade

3) Most Books off by 2 grades

4) First Book in order listed to get Bullseye

5) Second Book in order listed to get Bullseye

• Administrator
On 8/1/2023 at 8:35 PM, zzutak said:

A question for @CGC Mike (which you can respond to at the conclusion of the contest):  Are all 20 books being assessed/certified by the same CGC grader during a single session?  hm

I would guess they are being graded by the same group of Graders.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:25 PM, CGC Mike said:

I would guess they are being graded by the same group of Graders.

Yeah, I'd be willing to go on record as being 100% certain they're all graded by the same group -- that "group" being the CGC staff.  doh!