• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Preview 7
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I'll try to take advantage of the increased traffic on this forum to post another spine roll book. Since I took these photos quite some time ago, I bought a better copy b/c of my experience with discoloration defects. I'm not exactly sure what that stuff is on the back, but it's not so nice looking. Minus that and the spine roll, it's not in bad shape. I will need to find something to do with this magazine at some point.

MP7.jpg

MP7-a.jpg

MP7-b.jpg

MP7-c.jpg

MP7-d.jpg

MP7-e.jpg

MP7-f.jpg

First thought was 5.5 then I knocked it all the way down to 4.0 because of the discolouration, or whatever it is. I suspect coffee or similar beverage. Get someone with a strong constitution/immune system to give it a good sniff. If it was strong coffee, there may still be a hint of it. Java? Columbian? 

Edge wear w/color loss, rounded corners, multiple scratches and color loss, minor spine stress w/multiple color breaking spine ticks and staple tears, stacking curl and moderate spine roll w/fanned pages, moderate to severe staining on the rear cover.

I took a look at other copies on eBay so I could see what belongs and what doesn't, cover color loss (in different spots) seems to be a common theme with this book, even in low grade this book is selling for around $100.00.

There is no significant creasing, pieces missing or spine splits, I always seem to get these grades wrong when there is staining present, however due to the staining, IMO...

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

@LowGradeBronze @marvelmaniac

I pulled this back out and I remain stumped. I forget which on of the books I got back from CGC lately it was, but there was an apparent stain that CGC noted was foxing. The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that this isn't a coffee spill or similar. The darker spots at the top left look like they could be some kind of rust transfer. The one feature of the stuff along the left is the straight line like it was leaning against something I think it's possible it's some kind of foxing patterned by storage. I agree stains are killers, although what causes the stains can matter. Oil transfer stains & rust from staples, not so bad. Spilling something on the book, really bad. Foxing, somewhere in the middle. I'll have to wait for my clean copy to come back, and then I'll decide what to do with this one. Obviously, I don't need multiple copies.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:17 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

spare reader

Well....I've got *a lot* of space dedicated to comic storage. 1 magazine isn't going to be the proverbial straw, but going to an e-copy rather than trying to locate & dig a boo out has some advantages. I kind of like the idea of putting multiples back out in the wild b/c some of these books are getting hard for collectors to find. Plus, for every $1 you make selling a book, you get to spend $10 on something else you want :whistle:

Foxing is generally spotty since it is actually mold, it is usually not a solid stain, your staining appears to be a liquid spill of some sort, do you see any signs of water/liquid damage, did it bleed through the rear cover to the interior pages?

I own one of these, bought it when I was selling my Grandson's Baseball and Pokémon cards, the UV light will show foxing and fingerprints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KS7BGN5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

https://www.artemconservation.com/blog/foxing/

On 7/22/2023 at 3:15 PM, marvelmaniac said:

bleed through

Nothing on the pages. You can see the darker spots away from the spine do penetrate. Not a lot going on with the bulk of the spots. It does look/feel like typical water staining. I'm going with the book was stacked on....something....which had some kind of gunk on it. Maybe something more oily. IDK. At some point it doesn't matter that much what it is. I'm in the 4.0 range personally b/c it's all on the back.

PXL_20230722_190605400.jpg