• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

should I get new comics graded
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I hate that we've come to a point in collecting where people's first instincts are "should I slab XYZ?" for EVERYTHING.  This comment isn't geared towards just you OP, it's more the repeated question here and on other social media sites around the internet.  There are those vocally oppose slabbing.  You'll often hear them chirp "books are meant to be read!"  I like to think of them as "raw doggers".  Then you've got the opposite end of the spectrum who see any remotely valuable book and go "send that to CGC!"  That latter group of people is what leads newbies to re-enter the hobby and ask of themselves "what's CGC and should I get my books slabbed" and then often post a bunch of drek.  The truth is, there's a middle ground.  Slabbing serves a purpose in the following situations:

1) You have a personal/emotional connection to a book and just REALLY want it slabbed.  If that's what makes you happy, go for it.

2) You plan to keep the book a long time and want to easily identify value for yourself, or more realistically, your next of kin.

3) You want the provenance that comes with witnessed signature/sketches.

4) You want to ensure that a book is free from restoration.

There are other reasons (such as people maintaining registries), but beyond that, you need to consider the cost of slabbing.  Far too often I see people slabbing $10 books and it just makes no sense to me when the cost of slabbing such a book can be as high as $50/book.  If you have the money and want to just blow it on that stuff, no one's gonna stop you.  But logically, I'd rather apply that $50 into some sort of fund for future books/keys.

Also, while we're on the subject of slabbing, any books signed and not witnessed by CGC will be given a green label.  A lot of people don't like green labels and would much prefer yellow.

Lastly, no, I don't think you should get those books graded, but it's not my money, it's yours.

Edited by ExNihilo

It’s pretty subjective, based on your own preferences and collection and goals and finances.

You can do the research on each comic in terms of costs and projected revenues based on your own experience, return on investment goals, and grading skills.  And if you’ve done the analysis and it’s worth it to you, go ahead.

BUT if you haven’t done the analysis or can’t do the analysis (due to lack of experience or any other reason) probably best not to spend the money on slabbing.  

If finances are a paramount priority, then treat it like a business investment, and do your due diligence first

Some variants go up, some I've seen people just asking for cover price for YEARS and not getting it. Your asking people to predict the future. I, personally, having lived through the Great 90s Comic Bust think this variant nonsense is just history repeating itself and people collecting those nonsense variants are going to have lotsa garage sell filler when comic movies are no longer Hollywood's crutch. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and the Ida Spud 1:100 potato skin variant ASM will be worth $20k in 2030.  

These are great comments and i apologize that i repeated something asked probably a million and one times. I read through some pages and didn’t find the information - not giving an excuse.

i also take no offense to your comments. I get it.

i did pick up comics I love - not read them but chose to preserve them In plastic and boards. But, Maybe i should update to mylar bags?

thanks everyone

One of my reasons for slabbing is to literally protect the books.  I want to preserve what I have for a long time.  The thought of someone mistakenly damaging the books with no harm intended is a risk I do not want to take.

On 7/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, StewartCA said:

These are great comments and i apologize that i repeated something asked probably a million and one times. I read through some pages and didn’t find the information - not giving an excuse.

i also take no offense to your comments. I get it.

i did pick up comics I love - not read them but chose to preserve them In plastic and boards. But, Maybe i should update to mylar bags?

thanks everyone

Again, it's not you, it's me.  This is the newbie section of the board and your question is perfectly valid.  I apologize as it's just something I happen to see repeatedly in places like Reddit.  So yeah, keep your questions coming.

I agree, I think mylar is an excellent means of protecting your books.  It's the material used by the Library of Congress to protect historical documents so I'm of the opinion that if it's good enough for them, then it should be good enough for our comics.  People will say that they want to slab to protect their book and I think that's a bit misguided.  Mylar, fullback, microchamber paper, and a top loader will provide sufficient protection at a fraction of the cost.  Obviously if you've got like an Action Comics 1, then you're gonna want to go the whole nine yards with a slab and likely several other layers of protection, but again, it's a matter of cost relative to value.