• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man #15
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Slightly blunted corners, slightly mistrimmed top edge, a few small color breaking spine ticks, discolored staples, minor spine roll.

IMO, the small color breaking tick/crease at the top left corner and the spine roll prevent this book from being a higher grade.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

On 7/22/2023 at 11:34 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Slightly blunted corners, slightly mistrimmed top edge, a few small color breaking spine ticks, discolored staples, minor spine roll.

IMO, the small color breaking tick/crease at the top left corner and the spine roll prevent this book from being a higher grade.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

that is a pretty darn good eye, I am going to look at it closely and try to spot the same defects as you mentioned. I am trying to get higher resolution images as I figure a basic scanner and sometimes even the IPHONE do not do the books justice. When you hold the book in front of you those defects are hard to see as the back cover does not appear to be yeliwish if that is what foxing actually is. 
But I am glad I got an honest opinion that way when I look at my other books I can get a sense for what to look for and just how many small defects would be present in order to knock a book from VF+ to FN+ or lower. 

I have a couple of CGC slabbed books in the 9.4 and 9.2 range and they look crisp and clean so I can see a slight difference that is  why I am looking for CGC or CBSC slabbed books very raw. Some folks are over the top with the prices and some are really reasonable. 

7.0/7.5 there's a light line running parallel to the spine. Not sure what that is. As far as shopping goes, for raw books, mycomicshop is the best for a book like this. Their grading is strict & you might pay a dollar or two more than an auction, but at least you're getting what you paid for. I'm pretty convinced that a lot of online sellers are just "trying" to sell their collections b/c their spouse is making them. They set the prices high so their inventory never actually sells :devil:

For once I weigh in higher than the pros! I'd call this an 8.0 and note the very slight bump/crunch at top of the spine as seen from the back view.

I'll say it's good if we get at least a view of the centrefold, to see how the staples are positioned, as this has an impact on any damage that could occur from opening the book repeatedly, and let us see how sharp the page corners are and of course page colour/quality. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 7/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, scburdet said:

7.0/7.5 there's a light line running parallel to the spine. Not sure what that is. As far as shopping goes, for raw books, mycomicshop is the best for a book like this. Their grading is strict & you might pay a dollar or two more than an auction, but at least you're getting what you paid for. I'm pretty convinced that a lot of online sellers are just "trying" to sell their collections b/c their spouse is making them. They set the prices high so their inventory never actually sells :devil:

That is funny, but what I find mind boggling is the amount of money on shipping , processing, grading and slabbing and return shiiping and Ebay fees and then shipping to new buyer goes with a book. 
It is like a new car only 5% of the price goes to profit. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

For once I weigh in higher than the pros! I'd call this an 8.0 and note the very slight bump/crunch at top of the spine as seen from the back view.

I'll say it's good if we get at least a view of the centrefold, to see how the staples are positioned, as this has an impact on any damage that could occur from opening the book repeatedly, and let us see how sharp the page corners are and of course page colour/quality. 

I just added some new closeups and Iphone pics in natural light. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:06 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Hadn't realised how wavy the book is. And that's after pressing, right? I'm afraid my sharp eyed co-graders were right and I'm lowering my estimate to 7.0 / 7.5 However this is not a key so guessing you had no plans to retire fixed on this book :peace:

Yes the book almost feels embossed, it is not a key issue so I would not be worth slabbing I would think. I appreciate the review though. 

On 7/24/2023 at 2:33 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Bindery/Printing related.

I just spent 5 min looking at the photos again thinking I was crazy or losing my mind :insane: Then I read the post again to see the scans were replaced by photos. I had a suspicion it could be a scanner artifact, and it looks like that might have been it.