• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New OPG Top 20 Bronze Age books
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Key Bronze books that decreased in value from last year’s guide:

Werewolf 32
Hulk 180
ToD 10
ASM 101
Marvel Premiere 1

new to the Top 25:

ToD 1

Significant increases:

Cerebus 1 continues its strong price increase 

Most of the remaining Top 25Bronze were stagnant or had very marginal increases 

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 7/24/2023 at 6:40 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Key Bronze books that decreased in value from last year’s guide:

Werewolf 32
Hulk 180
ToD 10
ASM 101
Marvel Premiere 1

new to the Top 25:

ToD 1

Significant increases:

Cerebus 1 continues its strong price increase 

Most of the remaining Top 25Bronze were stagnant or had very marginal increases 

Why do you think Cerebus 1 continues to grow?  The scarcity in play?  

On 7/24/2023 at 8:35 AM, WolverineX said:

Why do you think Cerebus 1 continues to grow?  The scarcity in play?  

yes, demand exceeds supply. I do wonder though as attrition sadly claims its not large hardcore fanbase if it will sustain current levels 9-12 years out. My total guess is it will slip in demand. IMHO an iffy non short term proposition at current FMV?

On 7/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

yes, demand exceeds supply. I do wonder though as attrition sadly claims its not large hardcore fanbase if it will sustain current levels 9-12 years out. My total guess is it will slip in demand. IMHO an iffy non short term proposition at current FMV?

People were saying the same thing about the value of Cerebus #1 after the series ended with the publication of issue 300, nearly 20 years ago.

yet, both the value of the comic (and Cerebus OA) has increased substantially over this time

On 7/24/2023 at 12:11 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

People were saying the same thing about the value of Cerebus #1 after the series ended with the publication of issue 300, nearly 20 years ago.

yet, both the value of the comic (and Cerebus OA) has increased substantially over this time

Collectors who were 45 years old 20 years ago will be 75 years of age in 10 years. Much much greater attrition is coming than has already occured. Time is relentless and human life is fleeting.

Unless younger Cerebus fans replace those aging out the lofty FMV will decrease.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, MAR1979 said:

Collectors who were 45 years old 20 years ago will be 75 years of age in 10 years. Much much greater attrition is coming than has already occured. Time is relentless and human life is fleeting.

Unless younger Cerebus fans replace those aging out the lofty FMV will decrease.  

They do/will, same as they do for Bone, TMNT, etc

, forgetting how old we collectors are becoming.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:51 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

They do/will, same as they do for Bone, TMNT, etc

This is uncharted territory for cult characters from the late 70s and 80s like Cerebus thus no way to know.

Bone is from the 90s so 1-2 decades of growth is probable as the collectors enter their prime earning years. 

TMNT is not cult! They have full household name status at least in the USA.. TMNT is akin to a-list Marvel and most certainly DC a-level status 

Lemmie guess you have $$$ interest in Cerebus 1. Is it 9.6 or 9.8 with WP :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

This is uncharted territory for cult characters from the late 70s and 80s like Cerebus thus no way to know.

Bone is from the 90s so 1-2 decades of growth is probable as the collectors enter their prime earning years. 

TMNT is not cult! They may even have the Grandmother factor. TMNT is pretty near l a-list Marvel or DC level status 

Cult character or not, there is resounding on-going demand for scarce items from the Copper Age and earlier.

In other posts, you claim to be a long- time collector.  If that’s true, then you should know by now that my statements are valid.

and for the record, I do not own any issues of Cerebus nor any pages from the title.  So you are wrong yet again

Edited by jjonahjameson11

Yeah, it is interesting to see what happens.  Every time I hear that Cerebus 1 will fade away, the prices keep getting crazier which shows that demand outpaces supply.

2000 copies of issue one.  That's not much.  Would non Cerebus fans buy this book?  

On 7/24/2023 at 1:04 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Cult character or not, there is resounding on-going demand for scarce items from the Copper Age and earlier.

In other posts, you claim to be a long- time collector.  If that’s true, then you should know by now that my statements are valid.

Your statements were correct but a shelf life exists. Old paradigms will no longer apply due to aging out factor.

My posts in this thread are all plausibile as are yours even if less so. Fact everyone will die. Fact death is significantly more likely as humans age past age 60. Fact if demand drops prices will not maintain over time. Fact this is uncharted Territory for independent characters limited to cult followings

Opinion; new collectors will not be as likely to spend big money on Cerbrus 1 reducing demand enough to drop FMV.  These new or young collectors will almost certainly flock to Marvel over all else.

Opinion; The tiny supply of Cerebus 1 will prevent a crash 8-12 years out but as demand decreases FMV will dip or rise only in relation to inflation

BTW at one time Little Lulu 1 and the first Stanley issue (i forget the 4 color numbers) had very high rankings on the late 70s and early 1980s Overstreet Silver Charts. Attrition of sadly near all bigtime Lulu collectors has reduced demand down to the point that many under 45 even here are like Little who... Cerebus was never anywhere near as popular as Lulu was at her height. IIRC at one point in 50s it was selling 800k copies a month. I wont even go into Roy Rogers 1 and the western genre which was beyond huge for 2 full decades

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/24/2023 at 1:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

Your stements were correct but a shelf life exists. Old paradigms due to aging out are in play

My posts in this thread are all plausibile as are yours even if less so. Fact everyone will die. Fact death is significantly more likely as humans age past age 60. Fact if demand drops prices will not maintain over time. Fact this is uncharted Territory for independent characters limited to cult followings

Opinion; new collectors will not be as likely to spend big money on Cerbrus 1 reducing demand enough to drop FMV.  These new or young collectors will almost certainly flock to Marvel over all else.

Opinion; The tiny supply of Cerebus 1 will prevent a crash bit as demand decreases FMV will dip or rise only at levels parallel with inflation

BTW at one time Little Lulu 1 and the first Stanley issue (i forget the 4 color numbers) had very high rankings on the late 70s and early 1980s Overstreet Silver Charts. Attrition of sadly near all bigtime Lulu collectors has reduced demand down to the point that many under 45 even here are like Little who... Cerebus was never anywhere near as popular as Lulu was at her height. IIRC at one point in 50s it was selling 800k copies a month. I wont even go into Roy Rogers 1 and the western genre which was beyond huge for 2 full ldecades

Little Lulu, Roy Rogers, Donald Duck, Tarzan, Buck Rogers and anything else you want to throw in to obfuscate the conversations round Cerebus’ value be damned!

I could get into this even further, but given my time is limited and more valuable than getting into an ongoing back and forth with you, I will conclude our conversation by saying that I agree to disagree with you!