• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO - FOOM 1 and 2! ALL ITEMS NOW REDUCED!
1 1

53 posts in this topic

Cool stuff. Such a great artist.

Quick story…

I owned a magic store in the mid 80s. One of the books we sold was called “Steranko on Cards”. A quite advanced card magic book. The author’s name was Jim Steranko. I asked around with folks that I thought would know and all said it wasn’t the same guy.

Some years later Steranko is at the comic con in Michigan. I approach him and tell the story of the book. He shakes his head and say no that’s not me. I said “Yea Milt Kort said he didn’t think it was you”. I barely got out the word “said” and Jim interrupted me with “How’s old Milt doin? I haven’t seen him in years…” He now had a big smile on his face and confirmed what I always hoped was true.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:33 PM, Vegabomb said:

Quick story…

I owned a magic store in the mid 80s. One of the books we sold was called “Steranko on Cards”. A quite advanced card magic book. The author’s name was Jim Steranko. I asked around with folks that I thought would know and all said it wasn’t the same guy.

Some years later Steranko is at the comic con in Michigan. I approach him and tell the story of the book. He shakes his head and say no that’s not me. I said “Yea Milt Kort said he didn’t think it was you”. I barely got out the word “said” and Jim interrupted me with “How’s old Milt doin? I haven’t seen him in years…” He now had a big smile on his face and confirmed what I always hoped was true.

Hahaha... Don't know why Jim denied it, he's happy to claim credit for his work.  Milt used a Jim Steranko illustration for the cover of his book!

On 7/23/2023 at 3:33 PM, Vegabomb said:

Quick story…

Do you have the other two volumes that he wrote on magic:  his 1962 STACKED DECK and 1964 STERANKO ON ESCAPES ?  Both were published as the majority of two issues of Genii Magazine.  I have both and can list them here.

Edited by *paull*

On 7/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, MedicAR said:

Great stuff!  Unfortunately, I have most of it....  You wouldn't happen to have a copy of his Indiana Jones print signed would you?

No, sorry, I don’t.  In my opinion, the thing to seek out with regards to Jim’s Indy paintings is the foldout that was included in one of the issues of Mediascene (I believe that’s where it was).

In 1962, Steranko published STACKED DECK (as part of Genii magazine), a 20 page book of revolutionary card magic that was written, designed, illustrated and photographed by him.

In 1964, he upped the ante with STERANKO'S WORLD OF ESCAPES (part of Genii Magazine). 47 pages written, designed, photographed and illustrated by Steranko. Yes, it's true that Steranko influenced Kirby to create Mister Miracle.

These books are super rare, needless to say. Highly sought after by hardcore Steranko collectors. If you need to see interior pics, I have photos of long-ago sold copies from an old thread:

These books are in very high grade.  Crisp, fresh and impossible to find like this. Let's call them NM-. I have been collecting Jim's work for thirty years and have had a few of these before, but nothing anywhere near this condition. These are the best I've ever seen. 

This is a link to a listing I did many years ago with copies in lesser condition, but it shows the interiors of the books.

$700 for the pair

NOW $575 for the pair

zimg582.jpg

zimg583.jpg

Edited by *paull*

On 7/23/2023 at 10:30 PM, mrlatko said:

Met Steranko at a con in the Midwest a couple months ago.  Had him sign a couple classic Nick Fury and Cap books, and he told me a great story about the Nick Fury.  He said that when he turned it in, Stan Lee hated the cover. "Jim, why is it so white?  You know we pay the printer a lot of money to add vibrant colors?". Steranko explained that kids would be drawn to it because of the lack of color.  It would stand out on the shelves, and that was half the battle, just getting someone to pick it up and look at it.  Then they began a quick negotiation.  Stan said he wanted some red/white and blue to be patriotic, so Jim agreed to add the red if he could also add the bullets in the SHIELD logo.  Stan agreed, and a classic was approved!

Then Jim proceeded to flirt with my wife.  What an interesting personality, and so cool in person.

PXL_20230415_211354417.thumb.jpg.ab1ffe233895cb3d34767572b46b6564.jpg

PXL_20230415_211434274.jpg

I wasn't aware of the red being a compromise with Stan.  Interesting...

Jim fought constant battles with Marvel. Stan forced ridiculous dialog in Cap 110 ("green hands smashing through!" for instance), had his work censored/edited multiple times (SHIELD 2, for instance), and text was edited in AT THE STROKE OF MIDNIGHT, after Jim told them not to touch one word.  That last one sealed the deal on Jim leaving Marvel.

On 7/24/2023 at 2:44 AM, Randall Dowling said:

This is a great thread with really premium material.  Hope all of this finds a good home!  Paul is really great to purchase from, highly recommended. :headbang:

Thanks, Randall! 

I may have more stuff. I have to check my boxes.

I got to meet Jim in 2019 and he signed a few books for me.  Genuinely one of the most fascinating people I have ever had a conversation with - and I have met a LOT of celebrities over my time.

I wasn't able to go to Planet Comicon this year, but sent a number of books to get signed and I am QUITE happy with all of them.  Got my XMen 49 & 50 both signed along with some Captain America and my Hulk Special 1.  That reminds me, I need to get those added to my comic wall.

PDG