• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guy Gardener #1 Question
2 2

30 posts in this topic

I have a few pieces of original art for fun and display, not a hardcore collector. Many years ago I had a chance to buy my favorite character, Guy Gardner #1 by Joe Staton. Drawn and inked, with the original stickers and notes on the back, and the logo acetate. I don't have a place to display it at the moment, and with the movie with him coming out, I thought I should part with it. Can anyone offer a suggestion20230723_184229.thumb.jpg.1a06f4909207b591e990ad5419637e38.jpg of value, round about, and the best place to sell? Thanks so much!

Evrery thing I know can be found in the "hidden text" in the first post on the thread called Pricing Comic Art - 2023 Edition. I strongly advise two actions:

1. Ignore the offers you get through the direct messages supported by this board.
  2. Read the advice on that thread especially the part that suggests learning about the market.

Happy to take questions, accept comments, and listen to concerns.

Edited by alxjhnsn

I would suggest that you not part with it until you get a date for the movie's release. Also, see if the auction houses would be willing to place it in auction right after the movie comes out. That should get you your highest return (unless the movie stinks).

As others have suggested, Heritage, and if you can, wait until just before the movie comes out. Ride that marketing wave to the bank.

Here’s the best match I could find;

IMG_8136.thumb.jpeg.f49777a553b72e9d4ed038715790d900.jpeg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/joe-staton-and-bruce-patterson-green-lantern-195-cover-original-art-dc-1985-/a/7340-95503.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 7/26/2023 at 8:50 PM, Michael Browning said:

Oh gosh no. Not AFTER the movie. DC movies tend to do terribly and can hurt the value of art (look at Shazam, Black Adam and Flash art right now). I'd want it in the auction BEFORE the movie comes out when all the hype is going strong.

Fair enough, but at least wait until there is more publicity and a movie release date. I was only vaguely aware this was being done at all.

I want to thank everyone for all the information, it's been great and I've been studying. Heritage would like to list it, but waiting to tell what kind of auction. A $1 opening bid makes me nervous.

Edited by Jason2222

On 7/28/2023 at 7:46 PM, Jason2222 said:

I want to thank everyone for all the information, it's been great and I've been studying. Heritage would like to list it, but waiting to tell what kind of auction. A $1 opening bid makes me nervous.

There isn't a chance this is going for less than several thousand.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:46 PM, Jason2222 said:

IMO Heritage will get the highest final price, just depends on how much of a cut they're taking. I think you'll do well.

On 7/23/2023 at 5:44 PM, Jason2222 said:

Re: Can anyone offer a suggestion 

Yes, if you have an iPhone, do this when you need to photograph art and can’t scan it. 

1. Start Notes
  2. Create a new note
  3. Click on the camera icon
  4. Choose “Scan document”
  5. Touch the button once it is framed. 

Notes scanner will square the image and do some light balancing. It’s almost as good as a scanner. 

On 7/28/2023 at 12:46 PM, Jason2222 said:

Don't list it with them if they are not placing it in a Signature Auction. I recently lost a lot of money on Heritage Weekly Auctions people don't follow those as closely as a signature auction. If they decline placing it in a signature auction go with Comiclink you can contact Steve Borock to get this set up in one of their auctions.