• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these spots on these 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man 252s?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

I was looking at some 9.8 newsstand 252s, and noticed that a good amount of them had this discolored area near spidey's leg. 

Anyone have some insight as to what caused this? And I assume CGC is cognizant of this and doesn't deduct for it when grading?

spot1.jpg

spot2.jpg

spot3.jpg

On 7/24/2023 at 11:06 AM, marvelmaniac said:

My old eyes cannot see the spots you are referring to, maybe place a arrow pointing to the spots, also, can we get a full cover shot?

Also, that book does not appear to be a NM/MT 9.8, with the uncentered staple, the corner wear with color loss

CGC is very forgiving with uncentered staples and miswraps. 9.8s are very possible if everything else is in line with 9.8 standard. The other company is not forgiving on these defects 

On 7/24/2023 at 1:06 PM, marvelmaniac said:

My old eyes cannot see the spots you are referring to, maybe place a arrow pointing to the spots, also, can we get a full cover shot?

Also, that book does not appear to be a NM/MT 9.8, with the uncentered staple, the corner wear with color loss

Here you go, have circled the areas I am referring to.

These are 3 different 9.8's from Heritage; I can post the links to them but would need to go back to my history to find them. 

spot3.jpg

spot2.jpg

spot1.jpg

On 7/24/2023 at 1:31 PM, Timed said:

Here you go, have circled the areas I am referring to.

These are 3 different 9.8's from Heritage; I can post the links to them but would need to go back to my history to find them. 

spot3.jpg

spot2.jpg

spot1.jpg

I thought that's what you might have meant, but since it is on most copies, the only thing I can think is the "bleed of color" when printed from the blue and black, I guess so close to the teal like blue green of the box. Idk

On 7/24/2023 at 5:03 PM, Pantodude said:

TBH, I can't discern any spots from those pix.  So I took a look at my copy in hand.  Here's a closeup of the area in question:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8fe9337f545654742eceefb427b32dd.jpeg

No spots, right?   Or are my eyes really that bad.  :nyah:

I don't see it on your copy, nope. ^^

On 7/24/2023 at 5:46 PM, Domo Arigato said:
On 7/24/2023 at 5:03 PM, Pantodude said:

TBH, I can't discern any spots from those pix.  

Neither can I. (shrug)

Best I could tell it looked like some tanning in the teal color by Spidey right leg. What he may call spots, could be considered splotches of what looks to be brown or darker teal, like tanning or dirt from handling. Like from handling with dirty hands, which may be a typical place to hold the comic.

@Timed I didn't really "see it either" , but what I mentioned is kind of there on most the copies you posted and or circled?

It's a stretch, but I know cgc ignores manufacturing stuff most of the time, and I would say a consensus is, the way it was printed and whether bleed through from front page and etc.

Could be why you see it on most or what not.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/24/2023 at 5:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Best I could tell it looked like some tanning in the teal color by Spidey right leg. What he may call spots, could be considered splotches of what looks to be brown or darker teal, like tanning or dirt from handling. Like from handling with dirty hands, which may be a typical place to hold the comic.

@Timed I didn't really "see it either" , but what I mentioned is kind of there on most the copies you posted and or circled?

It's a stretch, but I know cgc ignores manufacturing stuff most of the time, and I would say a consensus is, the way it was printed and whether bleed through from front page and etc.

Could be why you see it on most or what not.

Yeah, that's a good descriptor of it. It's not a circular "spot" necessarily, it's more like a vertical area of discoloration/light brown color next to his leg.

On the Heritage site I looked through about 10 or so copies, and only these 3 were noticeable to me. So not a majority, but a decent amount.

Edited by Timed

Or as mentioned whatever is on the first page? I also wonder what page quality these slabs or raws have. Hiding behind the cover.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:01 PM, Timed said:

Yeah, that's a good descriptor of it. It's not a circular "spot" necessarily, it's more like a vertical area of discoloration/light brown color next to his leg.

Idk. But some covers are more 'see through" than others as well.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Or as mentioned whatever is on the first page? I also wonder what page quality these slabs or raws have. Hiding behind the cover.

Idk. But some covers are more 'see through" than others as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy with me to check what's on the first page.

But I am checking eBay right now and lo and behold, some copies on there have it as well.

This one is a bit more pronounced:

spot4.jpg

Edited by Timed

On 7/24/2023 at 5:49 PM, musicmeta said:

I really can't see any "spots" with my bad eyes.  

It's really an odd thing to notice lol like a centimeter or less line that is a darker impression, probably due to the maroon type cover imo, but I'll try to point it out better.

Otherwise I don't want to think this hard haha - I see noting  :ohnoez:hogan's heroes!

Screenshot_20230724_180659_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 7/24/2023 at 6:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's really an odd thing to notice lol like a centimeter or less line that is a darker impression, probably due to the maroon type cover imo, but I'll try to point it out better.

Otherwise I don't want to think this hard haha - I see noting  :ohnoez:hogan's heroes!

Screenshot_20230724_180659_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks!  Now I see the affected color area. 

On 7/24/2023 at 6:13 PM, musicmeta said:

Thanks!  Now I see the affected color area. 

What I imagine, knowing nothing but limited printing stuff from late eighties early 90s when I'd visit my parents work where my mom did this, is the maroon from the cover and below the price box ran over somehow on the rollers. Or some kind of transfer of such. :)

On 7/24/2023 at 7:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What I imagine, knowing nothing but limited printing stuff from late eighties early 90s when I'd visit my parents work where my mom did this, is the maroon from the cover and below the price box ran over somehow on the rollers. Or some kind of transfer of such. :)

Yup what you said. :bigsmile: