• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Mechanical Error submissions get re-graded?

2 posts in this topic

I've sent quite a few Mechanical Errors back to CGC in the last few weeks, and the first status they receive is 'Scheduled for Grading' - is this true? do the Mechanical Error books get regraded after being cracked?

I would have thought - I guess, depending on the actual Error - that the books would remain encapsulated and the surrounding case would simply be replaced, negating the need to regrade the book. Is this not correct? 

If the book is regraded, is another round of pressing included? Are you at risk (more than normal, I guess) for a book being damaged with a Mechanical Error submission if it's removed from encapsulation and regraded? 

• Administrator

Hello @dbcn,

When a online order form is received without the pressing service requested, despite the tier, the first status update is the Scheduled for Grading status. For reholders this means the package has been opened and they are waiting to be cracked out of their holders and go through encapsulation. I am sorry for the confusion this has caused. Please note, for ME services and Reholders, each collectible is reviewed before being cracked out. If our team determines the book was damaged (either in shipping or do to another effect) we would contact you to let you know and ask how you would like to proceed. Each of these situations is different so be on the lookout for any correspondence from our team regarding this order. 

Lastly, so you know, when a book is sent in for reholdering, the book is removed from its old encapsulation entirely and receives a new label, inner well, and outer encapsulation. We do not reuse these as they are regularly damaged in the removal process. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.