• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Value Comic Shipping
3 3

56 posts in this topic

You could also fly to an authorized submitter's location in Florida to cut down on your books' travel time and distance to CGC.  I'm sure there are plenty who could assist you or even work with you to meet at CGC so they could do the official drop-off.

(I was being dense and thinking you could just go directly to CGC to submit in person, too, but the point is that taking the books yourself, at least most of the way there, definitely seems like an option once shipping costs reach a certain point.)

My expensive books are small potatoes compared to many of yours, but when I sent some out for pressing, I was paranoid the whole time they were gone.  (I shipped them via Registered Mail, by the way.)  If I were sending in books worth thousands of dollars to CGC, I would probably schedule a vacation and carry them personally as far as I was able, anyway.

On 7/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, JBell60 said:

Have few comics I will be submitting in the Unlimited tier (each will have a $3k+ FMV).  Paranoid about shipping, insurance, etc   Any recommendations on carriers?  I have obtained some Gemini boxes and packing and also have a CGC ship kit coming.  Just looking for the best way to handle this.

I am a fan of USPS Registered Mail. 

They are supposed to keep very strict records on the chain of custody, and your item is protected along the way by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks, and keys. Make sure to purchase insurance to cover the declared value of the item you are sending. 

No delivery service is infallible, but registered mail, in my opinion, is about as good as it gets. 

If you object to Uncle Sam, I'd go with top-tier FedEx services, like overnight. 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:10 AM, JBell60 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys!  Since I tend to be overly cautious, I'm thinking of spending $400 for UPS insurance for an overnight delivery.  Def will look into CIS as well.

Do NOT do UPS. Especially right now. 

On 7/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, newshane said:

Do NOT do UPS. Especially right now. 

THIS. UPS is almost certainly going on strike on July 31, and - if it happens - the strike will be long and acrimonious. Your package will - best case scenario - just sit until the strike is over. 

Insured Registered is also much cheaper than insured prio or ups or FedEx while being way safer in all regards.

Only annoying part is you have to do the transaction in person. Being in LA, that means a 45 minute wait. 

On 7/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, Beastfeast said:

Being in LA, that means a 45 minute wait. 

lol

That's ANY location, unless you are lucky enough to have a rural office. 

On 7/24/2023 at 9:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

I recently mailed out a high valued book via USPS Registered Mail.  Boy, it took quite sometime to get to the buyer.. Roughly 2.5 weeks!  Not only that, but I had to call a USPS agent to try and search for the package because there had been no tracking activity for more than a week.  I really thought it was lost!!  Sure enough right after I made that call, the next couple days it arrived at the destination then was being prepared to be delivered.  

I dunno if I can go through registered mail again.  

Going around 3-4 days without a "scan" has been normal for registered mail in my experience although it usually took me around 10-12 calendar days for my package to be delivered.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:05 AM, Action252Kid said:

USPS Express Mail, can insure for $5k.  Or do Registered Mail, can insure for up to $25k, but it's notoriously slow and the tracking will often go days without updating - so you'll drive yourself a bit crazy for up to a week or two while it's in transit.

This is exactly what happened with the recent 5 figure book I bought that was shipped USPS registered mail.  Seller insured it for the selling price.  I did drive myself crazy for a week or two, mainly because the original delivery estimate was only a few days, so I took off work on the day it was listed to arrive and... No book.  I met the postal carrier at my mailbox and asked if he had a registered box for me, and he said "What's registered?".  So then a couple days later the tracking updated to list a "delay" but still in transit.  Waited maybe another 3 days and it finally did arrive safely, although the same carrier signed for it himself and left it on my doorstep.  Luckily I was not far from home when I received an E-mail update from USPS telling me it was delivered.  Rushed home and found it on the doorstep.  Seems that guy needs some more training.

On 7/28/2023 at 12:06 PM, mrlatko said:

This is exactly what happened with the recent 5 figure book I bought that was shipped USPS registered mail.  Seller insured it for the selling price.  I did drive myself crazy for a week or two, mainly because the original delivery estimate was only a few days, so I took off work on the day it was listed to arrive and... No book.  I met the postal carrier at my mailbox and asked if he had a registered box for me, and he said "What's registered?".  So then a couple days later the tracking updated to list a "delay" but still in transit.  Waited maybe another 3 days and it finally did arrive safely, although the same carrier signed for it himself and left it on my doorstep.  Luckily I was not far from home when I received an E-mail update from USPS telling me it was delivered.  Rushed home and found it on the doorstep.  Seems that guy needs some more training.

If you have a FedEx account you can redirect shipments coming from the auction houses to a FedEx office and pick it up personally. Same with CGC, to some states. Not Calufornia though.

Correct me if I’m wrong but a long time ago cgc accepted walk ins for drop offs… did pandemic change this? 

might help to call cgc customer service and see if they make a special case for u to drop off the books in person since it’s very valuable and maybe do a walk in tier not sure on turn around on that but might be worth it as a vacation and peace of mind. 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:43 PM, Dr. Love said:

If you have a FedEx account you can redirect shipments coming from the auction houses to a FedEx office and pick it up personally. Same with CGC, to some states. Not Calufornia though.

This part is very annoying.  Only thing that's worked is turning a vacation hold on with your FedEx account.  

If its something very expensive $10K or more I use FedEx overnight. I rest much easier using the 1 day service.

The most expensive package I ever sent was I think worth around $250K+.
It was packed like a tank! 

Edited by Rip