• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Spiderman slab possible issue
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and to the comic world. 
I started collecting some cgc Spiderman and my recent bought has questioning me about something. 
I got 3 cgc Spiderman comics (Spiderman 2099 cgc 9.8, miles morales cgc 9.6 and spidergwen cgc 9.4), and when I got them I take a look carefully at the external slab. 
The most questioning issue is that I saw on one corner of Spider-Man 2099 a little crack ( not all along the edge but still a crack) and some white reflexes over the side of the connection between the two portion of the slab. I attach here some photo. Can anyone help me understand if this may be opened in some way? 

2nd issue is with Spider-Man Miles morales, which has a completely different molded sing on the lateral side of the slab: it seems to be like not welded or something. Have you ever see something like that? Can it be some problem about the legit of the comic? 
I checked every cgc code and everything is correct about comic data, so I’m really questioning this stuff cause I’m just newbie to this world. Also the comic condition seems to respect the attributed grade.
I really appreciate someone help, thanks! 

Have a nice day everyone.

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

IMG_1883.jpeg

Yeah the cases are cracked. If you submit them to CGC, do it under REHOLDER option and they put it in a fresh new case without regrading it. That way you don’t have to worry about some grader breaking up with his girlfriend the day his dog ran away giving your 9.8 a 8.5 because he was in a bad mood.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:27 PM, KCOComics said:

That's a cracked case. As long as the comic wasn't shaken or damaged, it shouldn't effect the grade or value.  You can even get it reholdered if you care to. 

None of the other pictures stood out as an issue. 

Screenshot_20230725-082524.png

Thanks 🙏 

So you don’t think that someone tried to open it to change the comic? I was mostly warried about that in this case…but any other signs appear to be on the slab. 
Thanks again!

On 7/25/2023 at 2:34 PM, Cman429 said:

Yeah the cases are cracked. If you submit them to CGC, do it under REHOLDER option and they put it in a fresh new case without regrading it. That way you don’t have to worry about some grader breaking up with his girlfriend the day his dog ran away giving your 9.8 a 8.5 because he was in a bad mood.

Thanks to you too! 
On your experience, is it worth it to get rehold it? I saw that a local store (in Italy) get this service for €40 +shipping fees for each comic. 

I don’t know if this can be valuable for that comic or maybe just leave it like that. 
Anyway, thanks again.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bumbus92 said:

Thanks 🙏 

So you don’t think that someone tried to open it to change the comic? I was mostly warried about that in this case…but any other signs appear to be on the slab. 
Thanks again!

I don't see any indication that someone tried to open or tamper with it. Cracked cases are somewhat common and that crack may have been during encapsulation and not the result of a drop. 

Usually opened cases will have some pretty tell tale signs. They are hard to reseal. Not to say there aren't nefarious individuals who have gotten away with it. But usually you can pick up the signs by looking at the case

On 7/25/2023 at 8:59 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IMO it is not worth it to re-holder for cracks like that right now, because the risk outweighs the benefit. 2c

+1 

Just enjoy the book as always. That type of crack shouldn't hurt the value.... Unless it's been dropped and you can see signs the comic was damaged. 

On 7/25/2023 at 2:59 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IMO it is not worth it to re-holder for cracks like that right now, because the risk outweighs the benefit. 2c

I surely understand, thanks for the info! I appreciate it. 

On 7/25/2023 at 3:00 PM, KCOComics said:

+1 

Just enjoy the book as always. That type of crack shouldn't hurt the value.... Unless it's been dropped and you can see signs the comic was damaged. 

Thank you so much, I think I'll do as you guys suggest! don't wanna spend time on rehold right now, specially since the comic is perfectly intact. Thanks again to everyone! :smile: