• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone familiar with adding books to the Grand Comics Database?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a book that I didn't realize was a Canadian version until after I received it. Not a problem for me but I wanted to research it a little for page count and such. Turns out this version of the issue isn't in the GCD so I thought I would try to add it. 

I made an account and attempted to add the issue following the instructions as best I could. It's been a few weeks and it hasn't been added. There was mention that someone might contact me about it within a week but no one has. I can't seem to find any contact info on the site to follow up on it either. 

Can anyone shed some light on how the process is supposed to go? Or maybe someone knows who I could contact? The book itself is nothing major but since I put some effort in I don't want to just let it go. 

-Brian 

I've added a few books, but have also had a few lately that just sit around. If you log in and click on the link to your profile, then click 'editing' you should be able to see the status of your book. I think there might be a problem with their contact process at the moment - I have all of the necessary things checked to get update emails when things I've added are uploaded, but I don't get anything. I suspect the person checking my entries has tried to contact me but I haven't seen it. I thought the problem might be at my end somehow, but maybe not if you haven't got anything.

On 7/25/2023 at 4:14 PM, BriD. said:

I recently purchased a book that I didn't realize was a Canadian version until after I received it. Not a problem for me but I wanted to research it a little for page count and such. Turns out this version of the issue isn't in the GCD so I thought I would try to add it. 

I made an account and attempted to add the issue following the instructions as best I could. It's been a few weeks and it hasn't been added. There was mention that someone might contact me about it within a week but no one has. I can't seem to find any contact info on the site to follow up on it either. 

Can anyone shed some light on how the process is supposed to go? Or maybe someone knows who I could contact? The book itself is nothing major but since I put some effort in I don't want to just let it go. 

-Brian 

Which book is it?

I've had a few of these Ace International / Trans-Canada News editions, and I believe they've all been 36 pages (4 cover pages + 32 interior pages) -- even when the US original was 52 pages.  Cover mention of the book being 52 pages is always deleted and/or replaced with some other language.  If you don't mind sharing, is your copy also 36 pages?

Andy-21.thumb.jpg.a0bb46739a8f38e2cc3e443cef654f38.jpg   Andy-CA.thumb.jpg.e7a67a1399b212a31f565ccba400e586.jpg

I have added and indexed hundreds of books for GCD, and eventually just gave it up.  The editing and approval process was so cumbersome that it just wasn't worth it.  The only times I ever get emails are when they are voting for new editors or policy changes or something.  When you log in you can check what you're currently editing from your Profile page.  Did you try to add it as a Canadian version of US Andy 21, or as a Canadian comic?

https://www.comics.org/series/62790/

or

https://www.comics.org/issue/311064/

On 7/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, wardevil0 said:

The editing and approval process was so cumbersome that it just wasn't worth it. 

Spot on. It's a great resource, and one I'd love to support, but adding books to it is like pulling teeth. Add to that that they insist on cropped images. Cropped images make it harder to gauge authenticity. And then there's their naming conventions. Apart from that, excellent. 

On 7/27/2023 at 11:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Spot on. It's a great resource, and one I'd love to support, but adding books to it is like pulling teeth. Add to that that they insist on cropped images. Cropped images make it harder to gauge authenticity. And then there's their naming conventions. Apart from that, excellent. 

There were so many times when I would have a book open in front of me and entering info directly, then having it disputed by an approver.  Or some formatting complaint about the quality/quantity of detail in advertisements, or whether something should be a synopsis or an indexer note... it just went on and on.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, wardevil0 said:

There were so many times when I would have a book open in front of me and entering info directly, then having it disputed by an approver.  Or some formatting complaint about the quality/quantity of detail in advertisements, or whether something should be a synopsis or an indexer note... it just went on and on.

Indeed. You have to jump through hoops, trying to make their site better. A bit like CGC really. 

On 7/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. You have to jump through hoops, trying to make their site better. A bit like CGC really. 

All that being said, I'm about to try to add a book again... I got an impossibly rare import at San Diego last week and I want to add it to the record, but... ugh.  I'm not really looking forward to it, but I want to increase the awareness.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:58 PM, wardevil0 said:

All that being said, I'm about to try to add a book again... I got an impossibly rare import at San Diego last week and I want to add it to the record, but... ugh.  I'm not really looking forward to it, but I want to increase the awareness.

Good luck :wishluck:

On 7/27/2023 at 10:18 AM, zzutak said:

I've had a few of these Ace International / Trans-Canada News editions, and I believe they've all been 36 pages (4 cover pages + 32 interior pages) -- even when the US original was 52 pages.  Cover mention of the book being 52 pages is always deleted and/or replaced with some other language.  If you don't mind sharing, is your copy also 36 pages?

Andy-21.thumb.jpg.a0bb46739a8f38e2cc3e443cef654f38.jpg   Andy-CA.thumb.jpg.e7a67a1399b212a31f565ccba400e586.jpg

Yes it is. Thanks for mentioning this, I was going to ask about Canadian page counts but wasn't sure which part of the forum was most appropriate 

Edited by BriD.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, wardevil0 said:

I have added and indexed hundreds of books for GCD, and eventually just gave it up.  The editing and approval process was so cumbersome that it just wasn't worth it.  The only times I ever get emails are when they are voting for new editors or policy changes or something.  When you log in you can check what you're currently editing from your Profile page.  Did you try to add it as a Canadian version of US Andy 21, or as a Canadian comic?

https://www.comics.org/series/62790/

or

https://www.comics.org/issue/311064/

The first one, Ace International