• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Private Collection, long term storage and caretaking
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am starting to review my collection and decided to Cold Press the books at home with protective cover on front and back of book, using my Vevor T-Shirt Press without the heat and sandwiched between two aluminum sheets. I have been pressing the books this way and let them sit in the press for 24 hours before sliding them back into the bag and board.  I am storing then in a Comic Book long box standing up vertically and pretty tight to help avoid curling.  I am pressing the books once every 6 months or as each book comes back in the round robin as the collection is still relatively small for now (~150 books only a few are slabbed) 

Any ideas on if this is a good practice or ae  

Edited by aabruzzese

I cannot answer your questions about pressing, however, what you are saying sounds like "Overkill" to me. you also stated...

On 7/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, aabruzzese said:

I am storing then in a Comic Book long book standing up vertically and pretty tight to help avoid curling. 

Books should not be "tight" in a comic box, they should not be squeezed in so tight you cannot easily move them, if the box is not full and the books tend to fall use a towel in front to provide support for the books.

Stacking curls are created when books are laid down flat with multiple books laid on top, the weight of this creates the stacking curl, books that are stored properly and in the proper environment will not succumb to stacking curls.

This is a No No!!!

20220416_215949-scaled.jpg

On 7/29/2023 at 9:00 AM, shadroch said:

Start with the low-value ones, and work towards the better ones.

Most of the collection is Spider-Man related with a majority going to Peter Parker Volume 1, there are a couple of valuable books like Amazing Spider #344 and a few higher value keys in the Peter Parker.  I find the prices vary so muich that is not the time for selling or even slabbing books that would not score a 9.4 or better.  I am looking at all the Buy it Now and Auctions with slabbed books at 9.6 or better and trying to get a steal whenever possible. 

On 7/29/2023 at 9:02 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I cannot answer your questions about pressing, however, what you are saying sounds like "Overkill" to me. you also stated...

Books should not be "tight" in a comic box, they should not be squeezed in so tight you cannot easily move them, if the box is not full and the books tend to fall use a towel in front to provide support for the books.

Stacking curls are created when books are laid down flat with multiple books laid on top, the weight of this creates the stacking curl, books that are stored properly and in the proper environment will not succumb to stacking curls.

This is a No No!!!

20220416_215949-scaled.jpg

I appreciate the tip; I will look to make sure I don't compress the books too much and get a second long box if needed.