• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a book choice. Buying Amazing Spider-Man 300 9.6 Direct vs Buying Amazing Spider-Man 300 9.4 Newsstand

8 posts in this topic

Hi, Many years ago from 1989 to 1997 I used to own a comic store in NY called Powerhouse Comics. Well, during that time we purchased maybe 8 copies of ASM 300 for about 40 to 60 dollars each and sold them for maybe 80 to 100 tops.  Now, its 26 years later and I want to buy one for myself again. Much of this is do to thinking about nastalgia. 

I see now that they differentiate Newsstand from Direct

If anyone can help, my question is:

Having about $1500 to spend give or take 100. 

Which is the better pick up.   An Amazing Spiderman 300 9.6 Direct or an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.4 Newsstand. 

I cant afford a 9.8.   But I can afford a Direct 9.6.  I see though that Newsstands are rarer. I believe in 9.4 its about a 4 or 6 to 1 ration of Direct editions to Newsstands.  

I cant afford a 9.6 Newsstand but I can right on the edge afford a 9.4 Newsstand.

I the past, the rule was always Buy the Higher Grade.  Does this still stand???? As even though a 9.4 Newsstand is lower grade than a 9.6 Direct Edition, Isnt it still rarer and therefore would be the scarcer of the two books in the future?  Or is the higher grade 9.6 Direct Edition the way to go because of the higher grade as in old school?!!  In other words, does Buy the higher grade book still stand and forget about the lower grade 9.4 Newsstand. Or go with the possibly scarcer 9.4 Newstand.

What would You do????!!???  Im conflicted!

Thanks for any help with this question

Edited by Oldtimer57

Thanks for your reply.   Yes, We were in Plainedge, part of Bethpage. Right near Boundary Ave.  That was like 27 years ago.  One of the finest fun times of my life. Now I just collect. Im just getting used to this forum after not posting in a very long time.  

On 7/29/2023 at 11:20 AM, Oldtimer57 said:

Hi, Many years ago from 1989 to 1997 I used to own a comic store in NY called Powerhouse Comics. Well, during that time we purchased maybe 8 copies of ASM 300 for about 40 to 60 dollars each and sold them for maybe 80 to 100 tops.  Now, its 26 years later and I want to buy one for myself again. Much of this is do to thinking about nastalgia. 

I see now that they differentiate Newsstand from Direct

If anyone can help, my question is:

Having about $1500 to spend give or take 100. 

Which is the better pick up.   An Amazing Spiderman 300 9.6 Direct or an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.4 Newsstand. 

I cant afford a 9.8.   But I can afford a Direct 9.6.  I see though that Newsstands are rarer. I believe in 9.4 its about a 4 or 6 to 1 ration of Direct editions to Newsstands.  

I cant afford a 9.6 Newsstand but I can right on the edge afford a 9.4 Newsstand.

I the past, the rule was always Buy the Higher Grade.  Does this still stand???? As even though a 9.4 Newsstand is lower grade than a 9.6 Direct Edition, Isnt it still rarer and therefore would be the scarcer of the two books in the future?  Or is the higher grade 9.6 Direct Edition the way to go because of the higher grade as in old school?!!  In other words, does Buy the higher grade book still stand and forget about the lower grade 9.4 Newsstand. Or go with the possibly scarcer 9.4 Newstand.

What would You do????!!???  Im conflicted!

Thanks for any help with this question

GPA shows a 9.6 direct or a 9.4 newstand at about the same value, $1100.  So the market is valuing them equally.  This really comes down to what you would prefer.  For me I'd go with the 9.6 direct.  Good news is that now is a good time to buy as prices have dropped close to 50% on this book and many others.

I’ll echo what Dave says.  Especially since you owned a direct market store.  If you want it for nostalgia and not investment (which is the only way I collect) and you were involved in the direct market for years, it seems a no-brainer.  Or are you asking which will hold value/appreciate faster in which case I can’t help you.  But I’m sure @valiantman can.

On 7/30/2023 at 11:53 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's still to early to know what the long-term market will look like, but so far in 2023, there have been 69 sales of CGC 9.6 (or higher) Amazing Spider-Man #300 direct edition and 8 sales of CGC 9.4 (or higher) Amazing Spider-Man #300 newsstand.

Prices tend to reflect a combination of grade and "ease of replacement" (or availability, or frequency of sale, etc.), so the CGC 9.4 newsstand is harder to replace (appears less frequently in the market) but it is lower grade... if the price is the same, there's currently a balance of some kind. Long-term, if I had to bet, I'd bet on the one that's available only one-in-every-ten sales (at that grade or higher) since there is only 0.2 grade difference (9.4 newsstand (or higher) being only 10% of that total market of possible choices).

If you were asking about ASM #361, I'd say 9.6 direct edition over 9.4 newsstand, but this is ASM #300 and the numbers (so far) are very different.

FYI: The 90-day average price for CGC 9.4 ASM #300 newsstand is $900. The 90-day average price for CGC 9.6 ASM #300 direct edition is $1,190.

Edited by valiantman

On 7/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, Oldtimer57 said:

Thanks for your reply.   Yes, We were in Plainedge, part of Bethpage. Right near Boundary Ave.  That was like 27 years ago.  One of the finest fun times of my life. Now I just collect. Im just getting used to this forum after not posting in a very long time.  

Yes! I was in the shop a couple of times in the early to Mid 90's when visiting relatives. On a return visit to them around  2000 was crushed to find the shop was long gone.

I recall you had a Land of The Giants Topps test wrapper. I do recall picking some Mid 60's Lost in Space cards at your shop.

Good to see you here!

Edited by MAR1979