• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble with Comiclink Website?
10 10

266 posts in this topic

I haven't been able to access the site for about an hour with any browser even after clearing cookies. 

I have about 150 books in this auction, around 30 ending tonight, so a little unnerving. Hopefully everyone else can still get in. :tonofbricks:

image.png.11687cddf5718767e3110a01da34d8d1.png

On 8/4/2023 at 6:31 PM, lotofsilver said:

I haven't been able to access the site for about an hour with any browser even after clearing cookies. 

I have about 150 books in this auction, around 30 ending tonight, so a little unnerving. Hopefully everyone else can still get in. :tonofbricks:

image.png.11687cddf5718767e3110a01da34d8d1.png

Did you restart your computer ?

No issues at all today.  I have placed bids, removed my credit cards (for now), and cautiously awaiting my first auction in about 30 minutes.

EDIT I am on a Windows 11PC in Edge

Edited by Dr Hfuhruhurr
Add clarifying information

On 8/4/2023 at 5:37 PM, B3AST said:

I don't see any indication this was a hack. Theft hackers want sites to stay up, and typically don't cause any coding issues. Malicious hackers typically want you to know they were there, usually defacing home pages or placing the ransomware demands where all can see. The only thing I see odd is that comiclink.com had a DNS update today. They are hosted by Cloudflare with data center servers being hosted by ColocationAmerica, neither of which I have heard of any hack. The healthcare hack was just yesterday, so before CLink went down.

More than likely this was a code crash possibly the SQL sever DB, then a backup/restore failure.

The more concerning thing to me however, is the lack of communication. The deleting posts, ignoring attempts to contact are disappointing at best.

The site went down Tuesday about an hour before that days session and there were reports of redirects to hentai sites earlier in the day.  If xss exploits were used, the target was both customer data as well as company compromise. However if it was just a non-malicious back end issue, they'd have announced something by now. The cybersecurity legal playbook advises them to remain quiet until either their law enforcement or cyber and legal teams say its OK to make an announcement. This happens all the time with the companies you hear about having been hacked. And of course there are so many more you never hear about from the companies that never involve law enforcement and are able to recover quickly or pay off the attackers.

A common strategy is for attackers to seek a large ransome and then once they've seen the business suffering enough or trying to fight it, they lower the ransome to an almost impossible to refuse amount and it often gets paid.

I kept getting the maintenance page right before the auction bur cleared my cache and rebooted and was good to go.

I did notice some very subdued prices on some of the books I bid on. Couldnt tell if it was just from the lack of interest, the timing of Friday night or that folks hadn't reset their browsers to access. Most of my wins went for less than 12mo and 90 day gpa but others went for over gpa so maybe it was just the books offered.

It's been good to go since last night. Before that, it was hit -n- miss for almost a week (mostly miss).

Went in a few days ago to delete any CC information - just being a lemming as I know nothing about these kinds of things. Fortunately, I had no CC information saved on the site.

re: prices being lower this time

I won two auctions and, as usual, I ended up paying my max bid that I placed days before the auction ended (them dang auctions get over way past my bedtime :preach: ). This is off-topic, but I seem to pay my max bid an inordinate amount of the time. I'm not shouting from the rooftops yet, but I am starting to get suspicious.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:18 AM, Gaard said:

This is off-topic, but I seem to pay my max bid an inordinate amount of the time. I'm not shouting from the rooftops yet, but I am starting to get suspicious.

This has been the case for awhile for me on CL, especially if I enter my max bid early. Now I usually just wait and snipe at the last second because it seems to avoid the magical power that brings everything to my max bid. But I’m also on the west coast so it’s not past my bedtime yet either - which makes that easier

On 8/5/2023 at 8:53 AM, wiparker824 said:

This has been the case for awhile for me on CL, especially if I enter my max bid early. Now I usually just wait and snipe at the last second because it seems to avoid the magical power that brings everything to my max bid. But I’m also on the west coast so it’s not past my bedtime yet either - which makes that easier

This is my 1st time bidding there and I put in my max bid early. My auction ends Weds night, so we'll see.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:14 AM, Chaz G. said:

This is my 1st time bidding there and I put in my max bid early. My auction ends Weds night, so we'll see.

What a week to pick to start bidding on CL…. To be fair this whole debacle has lead me to believe CL wouldn’t know how to programmatically phantom bid you to your max even if they wanted to, so I’ve come to the conclusion it’s probably just my paranoia. :roflmao:

The site is still working for me today, having logged on several hours ago and again just recently.  I can view all the ongoing auctions plus my bidding list, place new bids, and have them register to change the current highest bid.  I post this at the risk of encouraging some of you to continue to use the site and wind up bidding on some of the same books as I am.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr
grammar