• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ElfQuest OA going to Columbia University
2 2

9 posts in this topic

It's all fun and games until the Work Study freshman knocks over a bubble tea on top of that thing. :tonofbricks:

Seriously, makes me a little sad. All of that art locked away from the collectors who would really love it -- until it fades into obscurity. Donate a key issue or cover or something -- not the full shebang.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:45 AM, BCarter27 said:

Seriously, makes me a little sad. All of that art locked away from the collectors who would really love it -- until it fades into obscurity. Donate a key issue or cover or something -- not the full shebang.

Yep. Most of it will never be displayed and will just sit around collecting dust in a dank basement in NYC or in storage across the river. :sorry: 

I think it must be an ego thing to think that a prestigious university will hold your life's work and that many students and scholars will descend upon the archives to study it. But, let's face it - the fantasy is nicer than the reality as described above. 

I totally agree - donate a small portion if you must, but, otherwise, get it out into the hands of the people who care about your work the most - the fans. Your work will live on as it's displayed online and trades hands periodically in perpetuity. 

There is a little bit of it out there, apparently. HA archives show a few published Wendy Pini Elfquest pieces, and a few from Barry Blair. None from Charles Barnett. I can’t recall any other illustrators who worked on the Elfquest books; of course the majority of it was Wendy Pini.

On 8/16/2023 at 1:28 PM, delekkerste said:

Yep. Most of it will never be displayed and will just sit around collecting dust in a dank basement in NYC or in storage across the river. :sorry: 

I think it must be an ego thing to think that a prestigious university will hold your life's work and that many students and scholars will descend upon the archives to study it. But, let's face it - the fantasy is nicer than the reality as described above. 

I totally agree - donate a small portion if you must, but, otherwise, get it out into the hands of the people who care about your work the most - the fans. Your work will live on as it's displayed online and trades hands periodically in perpetuity. 

Good thoughts.    I’ve seen similar gifts in other collecting areas and while I know nothing about this particular gift I’ve come to think these gifts are often exclusion in the guise of “sharing”.    

I suppose given you’ve worked with a museum you’re in a good position to weigh in on that.     Would you say some donors are interested in ensuring that, effectively, no one gets a hand on their precious? 

Edited by Bronty