• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE OFFICIAL WESTERN GENRE THREAD - where it is okay to corral and chat gunslingers & whiskey in dirty glasses
2 2

36 posts in this topic

But….but… westerns are outdated and have no cultural relevance!!  :ohnoez:

I enjoyed 1883 but it was sad and ruined Yellowstone for me. How can I care about the whiny modern clan when their ancestors were so strong, smart, and brave?

On 7/31/2023 at 1:49 PM, CAHokie said:

You just can't leave well enough alone, having gotten a devoted thread for devotees.  :baiting:

This probably ranks as one of the best Western comedy/dramas, and also one of the best Mad satires of a Western film:

image.thumb.png.51fbaf3d2151bd36be1bae45941ff822.png

On 7/31/2023 at 1:49 PM, CAHokie said:

I enjoyed 1883 but it was sad and ruined Yellowstone for me. How can I care about the whiny modern clan when their ancestors were so strong, smart, and brave?

Not just whiny but absolutely unlikable!  

Sticking with the strong female theme, my favorite female gunslinger goes to “Zerelda” played by Ali Larter.

IMG_0100.thumb.jpeg.b934db013cbf81b01217fb67f27ee759.jpeg

One of my least favorites is the Calamity Jane in Deadwood. Robin did a great job playing the character, I just didn’t like the tv character. The real one is significant in old west history though and may or may not have been exactly as portrayed.

IMG_0101.thumb.jpeg.c5690d7c28a0ca29e28f3130a9a4a785.jpeg

Once Upon a Time in the West was what got me started in westerns. Harmonica is just such a bad:censored:

Favorite duel (from For a Few Dollars More):

Honorable mentions to Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Josey Wales, and all the Anthony Mann films (that also happened to have Jimmy Stewart).

Edited by Skylath

How many Westerns have won best Director? Amazingly, John Ford, the Director with the most wins in Oscar history and also widely considered the greatest Western Director, never won an Oscar for a Western.

The Westerns I know which won a Best Director were:

* Power of the Dog (Jane Campion)

* The Revenant (Innaritu)

* No Country for Old Men (Cohen Brothers)

* Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)

* Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)

* Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)

Any others? Most of those movies are not what I'm looking for in a Western but to each their own. I'd rather have seen Howard Hawkes, John Ford, and Sam Peckipah. 

On 7/31/2023 at 5:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

How many Westerns have won best Director? Amazingly, John Ford, the Director with the most wins in Oscar history and also widely considered the greatest Western Director, never won an Oscar for a Western.

The Westerns I know which won a Best Director were:

* Power of the Dog (Jane Campion)

* The Revenant (Innaritu)

* No Country for Old Men (Cohen Brothers)

* Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)

* Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)

* Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)

Any others? Most of those movies are not what I'm looking for in a Western but to each their own. I'd rather have seen Howard Hawkes, John Ford, and Sam Peckipah. 

Some of those stretch the definition of Western, but I thought they were all good (and in some cases , great)  movies.