• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Significantly important issue numbers 1-100
1 1

90 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, sfcityduck said:

I think you are too focused on character first appearances. I also get the sense you are not as into GA.  Consider these books:

31 - Detective 31

33 - Detective 33

86 - Flash Comics 86

Last issues can be very significant.  I view All-star 57 as more important than All-Star 58, for example. Which is why for 89 I would pick Marvel Family 89 over Fin Fang Foom (really?).

I also think you could be more creator focused like for 20 going with Swamp Thing 20 over Scorpion (who?).

Well, he did say significantly important rather than popular, valuable, notable or anything else. (shrug)

I used to have a checklist called "The 500 Keys" for Marvel books across different genres. I was doing this in like 2012-2014, so it's definitely out-of-date, but was my collecting focus back then:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200220002209/http://jasonbeam.com/500keys/

It covers issues past the #100 mark, and it's super-hero based from SA through CA, but you get the gist.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Since you didn't have anything for #30 yet, I just spent a little bit of time scanning series to see.

Superman #30 - first appearance of Mr. Mxyzptlk - is the best I have come up with so far.

61. First Appearance of Golden Age Starman (Ted Knight) in Adventure Comics #61. A very important character for many reasons. Joined the JSA in the same issue as Wonder Woman, without him there'd be no Jack Knight, a critically acclaimed series from the 90's. A much bigger character than at first it might appear. 

On 8/4/2023 at 1:56 PM, Axelrod said:

Since you didn't have anything for #30 yet, I just spent a little bit of time scanning series to see.

Superman #30 - first appearance of Mr. Mxyzptlk - is the best I have come up with so far.

Possibly a case could be made for Funnies #30 (1939) - CGC notes it as "1st appearance & origin of John Carter of Mars"

On 8/4/2023 at 4:27 PM, Cat said:

61. First Appearance of Golden Age Starman (Ted Knight) in Adventure Comics #61. A very important character for many reasons. Joined the JSA in the same issue as Wonder Woman, without him there'd be no Jack Knight, a critically acclaimed series from the 90's. A much bigger character than at first it might appear. 

Superman #61 has 1st Kryptonite :foryou:

Some fillers until you get more significant entries:

Tales of Suspense 53 Origin of The Watcher
Avengers 56 Captain America Origin
Tales to Astonish 60 1st Hulk in title
Fantastic Four 62 First appearance Blastarr
Avengers 63     Hawkeye becomes Goliath
Tales to Astonish 70     First Sub-Mariner appearance in title
Journey Into Mystery 78     Dr. Strange prototype
Tales to Astonish 93     1st Silver Surfer outside FF
X-Men 95     Death of Thunderbird

On 8/3/2023 at 2:46 PM, buttock said:

I threw this out there almost 20 years ago if you want to revisit the list from then. 

Here is a more recent, similar thread.

Just make sure your head isn't near any hard objects or surfaces when you reach #15.

A modern # 4 is Ultimate Fallout 4, first Miles Morales Spider-Man.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Avengers 69 - first Squadron Sinister

The heroic team, Squadron Supreme, first appears in issue 85, but they’re up  against Loki.