• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MrBedrock's really weird shiznit...
6 6

150 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, Toz said:

:takeit: I’ve seen some that were treasury sized.Would you have a Spirit coloring book?

Thanks so much. I don't have a Spirit but I have seen one before and will keep an eye out for you.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:57 AM, Readcomix said:

This. Reading that made me double-check, as I have not followed pro sports in a while. My search also turned up several ex-players referring to some guy named Steve Dalkowski, who they all say threw harder than Ryan. I don’t recall ever hearing of the guy before; maybe it’s the players’ answer to Van Lingle Mungo and Sid Finch???

Per bleacher report:

Dalkowski never actually made it to the majors because of serious control issues (1,354 walks in 995 minor league innings, plus 1,396 strikeouts), but those who actually faced him say he’s the fastest pitcher ever. 

Ted Williams once took a spring training pitch from the 5’8” Dalkowski and reportedly never saw it. An official reading is unavailable because Dalkowski pitched in the 1950s and 1960s, but some have estimated his fastball could reach 105 mph.

His greatest accomplishment is probably striking out 21 batters in a minor league game and walking 21 batters in another. 

On 8/5/2023 at 11:35 AM, MrBedrock said:

My Story Book Library Box Set - vfnm books in a fine very fine box - $60

Beautiful condition on this box set of 16 soft cover children's books copyright 1950.

shiznit47.jpg

shiznit50.jpg

shiznit49.jpg

shiznit48.jpg

:takeit:

On 8/5/2023 at 9:55 PM, Toz said:

There was a real good documentary on Netflix,Fastball comparing how ball speed was measured in each era.Don't know if it's still there as I don't have a subscription any more.Also check out The Battered B.....ds of Baseball.Both very interesting.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bob-fellers-famous-motorc_b_797564

Ultimately clocked at 104 MPH. The motorcycle video is legendary.

First 5 throwing 100 MPH:

1. Walter Johnson (likely)

2. Smokey Joe Wood (likely)

3. Bob Feller

4. Ryne Duren

5. Nolan Ryan

I also believe a few others prior to Ryan were probably capable, but didn’t in order to save their arm. Better to throw 300 IP than 100 MPH.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:26 AM, whomerjay said:

First 5 throwing 100 MPH:

1. Walter Johnson (likely)

2. Smokey Joe Wood (likely)

3. Bob Feller

4. Ryne Duren

5. Nolan Ryan

I also believe a few others prior to Ryan were probably capable, but didn’t in order to save their arm. Better to throw 300 IP than 100 MPH.

I claim full responsibility for digging this rabbit hole.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

OptiVISOR - in original box - $45 shipped!

Learn to grade like the professionals with this "optical glass binocular magnifier". You will be able to look directly into your comic's soul and see the defects you have obviously been missing. Plus, as these photos will attest, an OptiVISOR actually makes the wearer more handsome! It's truly a miracle product!

shiznit55.jpg

shiznit54.jpg

shiznit56.jpg

shiznit57.jpg

my geek is a dork.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:48 PM, MrBedrock said:

I tried, but the only blasts I could create came out the other end.

hahahahahahaha

opti-loupe morphed him into g.a.tor!

Edited by Straw-Man

On 8/5/2023 at 5:50 PM, MrBedrock said:

Love This! My first Astros game in the Dome Rusty Staub hit a home-run. The Astrodome scoreboard was pretty extravagant then and to this four year old pea-brain Rusty Staub caused all of that. He was the Astros to me for many years, even though he got traded away pretty shortly there-after.

not a houstonian, but i may have a better "first astros game in the dome" story....   just sayin'.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:40 AM, Straw-Man said:

not a houstonian, but i may have a better "first astros game in the dome" story....   just sayin'.

Tell us about Mantle!

On 8/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, JollyComics said:

Oh my....they won first two Cups in 1930's.  I looked at 1961 Cups and beyond.  Thanks for your correction.  Now, Chicago teams have 29 championships.

Bless their hearts, Chicago fans have a hard time understanding " World Series".

On 8/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, Straw-Man said:

9-yr old me saw this happen; will never forget it.

https://www.mlb.com/video/first-game-in-astrodome-c21325145

I've heard the story so many times I feel like I was there too.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:11 AM, MrBedrock said:

Bless their hearts, Chicago fans have a hard time understanding " World Series".

Maybe we don't get thirsty often to grasp World Series or other championships. We are so used to many droughts for any championship but Houston fans may have a hard time to stop being thirsty for more World Series titles like Green Bay Packers fans will have a hard time to accept their first back to back losing seasons this year since the back to back losing seasons under Mike McCarthy in 2017 and 2018.  Green Bay Packers have only five losing seasons since 2000 and will lose Bears-Packers Rival series lead (105-95-6) in about 10-12 years and Bears will claim the lead in most NFL wins (both Packers and Bears are tied at 786 wins). I wished GM Ryan Pace (now fired) would have drafted Patrick Mahomes instead Mitch Trubisky. Patrick in Bears uniform would destroy Green Bay Packers in last 6 years easily. It didn't happen (I am positively sure Jim relieved that Bears didn't pick Patrick).

Probably you didn't know my hometown Arlington Heights may be a new Chicago Bears' new home.  The old Arlington Park is demolished in process. The demolition will be done by the end of this year. I hope Chicago Bears will stop looking for other options to save money (McCaskey/Halas family is infamous for cheap taste) and will go ahead to build the new stadium.  Hopefully, the new stadium with a retractable roof, new culture, new winning formula and new thirsty for more Super Bowls.  Who knows?   It's so rare to have two quarterbacks were so successful in a long run for two long decades.  None of NFL teams have that one. Green Bay Packers bless to have Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers duo.

The new stadium in Arlington Heights is no brainer and can be done by 2026.