• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F eBay. Other sales platform suggestions and experiences?
2 2

70 posts in this topic

Last year I needed a quick cash raise and wanted to unload an IH 181. For me the deal breaker on eBay was the revelation that they will take their14%ish final value fee and apply it against the sales tax collected and then deduct that from your net proceeds.

So say you sell an $8500 book and sales tax collected on their side is $680. They will then deduct nearly $100 from your net proceeds. That is just absolute bonkers unless someone else more astute with eBay selling experience can break down this logic for me. You would never have this on MCS nor CL, CC etc. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:36 PM, factory sealed said:

Last year I needed a quick cash raise and wanted to unload an IH 181. For me the deal breaker on eBay was the revelation that they will take their14%ish final value fee and apply it against the sales tax collected and then deduct that from your net proceeds.

So say you sell an $8500 book and sales tax collected on their side is $680. They will then deduct nearly $100 from your net proceeds. That is just absolute bonkers unless someone else more astute with eBay selling experience can break down this logic for me. You would never have this on MCS nor CL, CC etc. 

Your math doesn't add up. It would be way more than a $100. Are you saying sell 8500$ with $680 tax? You'd net something like $7900, which now that I think about it you might have meant $1000.

I do want to say that eBay takes less over a certain amount. But idk what it is nowadays 😭

On 8/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Your math doesn't add up. It would be way more than a $100. Are you saying sell 8500$ with $680 tax? You'd net something like $7900, which now that I think about it you might have meant $1000.

I do want to say that eBay takes less over a certain amount. But idk what it is nowadays 😭

What I'm saying is, in addition to the final value fee on an $8500 slab and the shipping; they also would ding you for yet another near $100 just on the sales tax. In other words, they are also applying that 14% fee against the sales tax they collected and deducting that as well against your net proceeds! Does that make more sense?? 

On 8/10/2023 at 3:46 PM, factory sealed said:

in addition to the final value fee on an $8500 slab and the shipping; they also would ding you for yet another near $100 just on the sales tax. In other words, they are also applying that 14% fee against the sales tax they collected and deducting that as well against your net proceeds! Does that make more sense?? 

e.g. gross sale of $8,500 x 9% state tax = $765 state tax x 13% eBay fees = $100 more for eBay fees. Fees on top of fees on top of taxes. Heck, sounds  just like Canada.

On 8/10/2023 at 5:46 PM, factory sealed said:

What I'm saying is, in addition to the final value fee on an $8500 slab and the shipping; they also would ding you for yet another near $100 just on the sales tax. In other words, they are also applying that 14% fee against the sales tax they collected and deducting that as well against your net proceeds! Does that make more sense?? 

It did sorry about that, agreed

. People are complaining about ebay, although PayPal has its issues too just to vent.

I had made some under $100 paypal credit purchases, which is non promotional. Throughout the years I've paid a little on it, but it always ends up getting applied to the promotional purchases instead. Even when I call before payment to PayPal to have it allocated to non promotional,  its like pulling teeth. Meanwhile they're sitting on that non promotional and charging interest every month  :pullhair:

And when I finally do get it applied to non promotional, because when I paid it was at first applied to my promotional and that amount due goes down, then when 1 to 2 billing cycles it gets added back like I own my promotional again(when finally allocated to non promotional) and it's past due, I have 30 days to pay the adjusted cost or get charged my interest on the promotional for non payment. When I pay it upfront to begin with but it isn't allocated due to PayPals accounting methods.

Really just wtf. :( edit @factory sealed

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/10/2023 at 5:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It did sorry about that, agreed

. People are complaining about ebay, although PayPal has its issues too just to vent.

I had made some under $100 paypal credit purchases, which is non promotional. Throughout the years I've paid a little on it, but it always ends up getting applied to the promotional purchases instead. Even when I call before payment to PayPal to have it allocated to non promotional,  its like pulling teeth. Meanwhile they're sitting on that non promotional and charging interest every month  :pullhair:

And when I finally do get it applied to non promotional, because when I paid it was at first applied to my promotional and that amount due goes down, then when 1 to 2 billing cycles it gets added back like I own my promotional again(when finally allocated to non promotional) and it's past due, I have 30 days to pay the adjusted cost or get charged my interest on the promotional for non payment. When I pay it upfront to begin with but it isn't allocated due to PayPals accounting methods.

Really just wtf. :( edit @factory sealed

Lol which is like the 4th time I've tried to explain it lol

Sounds like rambling, but is the way PayPal has me understand it, just accounting on there end that causes me grief. Good Grief!

On 8/4/2023 at 4:27 PM, MisterMR said:

MCS is where I sell all my stuff. Less fees than eBay, and you also are NOT sent a tax form at the end of the year, regardless of how much you sell. 

What is MCS? MyComicShop?

Been selling on eBay for over 20 years. Hate the fees but can't beat the traffic.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:01 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

What is MCS? MyComicShop?

Been selling on eBay for over 20 years. Hate the fees but can't beat the traffic.

Every item consigned with us that you choose to sell as buy it now format (rather than auction) is automatically cross-posted to eBay at no cost to you. So you still have all the visibility of eBay, plus visibility on the MyComicShop website, the highest traffic comic retailer/consignment website.

I don’t seem to have the problems with ebay that many other posters do. My experience mirrors that of NWO’s and fastballspecial’s. Although my volume is only a fraction of those guys, I sell enough to maintain top-rated status and pretty much have only had minimal issues since ’99. If folks don’t want to sell on ebay anymore that’s fine by me, there’ll be less competition for sales!