• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F eBay. Other sales platform suggestions and experiences?
2 2

70 posts in this topic

Has everyone else closed shop and dealings with eBay?

I’ve bought and sold comic books on eBay since 2015. 

It’s been a rough go, and eBay has never been kind to sellers. 

This was the last sale. 

After successfully completing a sale for $1,500 USD, which included tracking, signature authentication, and even receiving positive feedback on the sale, eBay has decided to stick with their 30 day policy and hold the sale funds hostage. 

So now after 8 years, I will no longer buy or sell on their platform again. I can’t support them when it’s already difficult to sell on eBay

So just wanting to see other peoples’ feedback with ComicLink as it might be the best alternative outside of Facebook marketplace. 

I’m a big cheerleader for consigning with MCS. That’s been my go to for all books over $100 for a few years now. 

Never sold through clink but from my buying my experience, they’re consistently getting well below GPA for the things I’m after. So add that to your equation. 

I’ve sold a decent amount on r/comicswap on Reddit but it’s a small amount of eyes on your stuff

I absolutely hate selling on Facebook. It’s such a nightmare of the worst type of comic people. I know some people who exclusively sell there with positive results but I’m not a fan. 

Sold through Heritage but I never have stuff good enough to offset how high their consignment %. 

On 8/4/2023 at 2:00 PM, D2 said:

This was the last sale. 

After successfully completing a sale for $1,500 USD, which included tracking, signature authentication, and even receiving positive feedback on the sale, eBay has decided to stick with their 30 day policy and hold the sale funds hostage. 

So now after 8 years, I will no longer buy or sell on their platform again. I can’t support them when it’s already difficult to sell on eBay

So just wanting to see other peoples’ feedback with ComicLink as it might be the best alternative outside of Facebook marketplace. 

Depending on what is for sale, you might try mycomicshop.com

On 8/4/2023 at 2:00 PM, D2 said:

This was the last sale. 

I'm not following; you sold an item for $1500, shipped, delivered, received positive feedback from the buyer, but eBay is keeping your $1500 (minus fees) for 30 days?

On 8/4/2023 at 5:14 PM, manetteska said:

I'm not following; you sold an item for $1500, shipped, delivered, received positive feedback from the buyer, but eBay is keeping your $1500 (minus fees) for 30 days?

Yes. That’s exactly correct. I sold an item for $1,500 USD, at which point eBay paid themselves 13% of the sale. So the buyer paid, eBay took their fee, and the remainder of the total, now sits in hold for 30 days after payment of the buyer. 
In the past, to avoid the hold, I’d have to send with tracking (which I always did) but now with signature confirmation (which I would do for anything over 1,000), and eBay added a stipulation that, if positive feedback was also received, then they could approve a ‘next day’ fund transfer. 

But due to the ‘high priced’ value of this item (I have sold items for higher values before, even in the same annual quarter), they have decided to hold the payment, regardless, for 30 full days. 

I suspect eBay is holding funds under the shadow of their 30 day eBay guarantee for buyers to open a dispute, even after giving positive feedback, they can’t justify sending me the buyer’s funds. 

Even though, I’ve had my eBay account for 8 years, my score is 434, with zero negative feedback, ever. I’m also not a high volume seller. I sell maybe $10k-$20k a year. I probably buy maybe $10k a year 

On 8/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, D2 said:

Yes. That’s exactly correct. I sold an item for $1,500 USD, at which point eBay paid themselves 13% of the sale. So the buyer paid, eBay took their fee, and the remainder of the total, now sits in hold for 30 days after payment of the buyer. 
In the past, to avoid the hold, I’d have to send with tracking (which I always did) but now with signature confirmation (which I would do for anything over 1,000), and eBay added a stipulation that, if positive feedback was also received, then they could approve a ‘next day’ fund transfer. 

But due to the ‘high priced’ value of this item (I have sold items for higher values before, even in the same annual quarter), they have decided to hold the payment, regardless, for 30 full days. 

I suspect eBay is holding funds under the shadow of their 30 day eBay guarantee for buyers to open a dispute, even after giving positive feedback, they can’t justify sending me the buyer’s funds. 

Even though, I’ve had my eBay account for 8 years, my score is 434, with zero negative feedback, ever. I’m also not a high volume seller. I sell maybe $10k-$20k a year. I probably buy maybe $10k a year 

I’ve stopped on eBay because they’re so anti-seller. I sold a Pop earlier this year for $1300. eBay took their fees, I sent off the item, all good. A month later the buyer does a chargeback with her credit card company under the guise of “item not as described.” Since it’s a chargeback with the credit card company and not through eBay, eBay says it’s hands are tied, honors the chargeback, takes back the money they gave me PLUS the fees, and the buyer still has my Pop. eBay refuses to do more. I’ve had to file a police report and a report with the post office and my next step is small claims court.

This is why I sell all my comics now through MCS. They’ll post it on eBay and on their own site and handle everything including returns. For sales they charge only 10% and if you do it as an auction on their site, it’s only an 8% commission.

1. CGC Boards - sell stuff here. I've done that a bunch over the years.
  2. MCS - I've had a great experience with both selling and consigning with them.
  3. OfferUp - not as good as in past years, but I've sold lots of bulk. Lots of annoying "is it still available" messages with no follow through.
  4. Local Shows - get a booth and sell at a show. 
  5. Whatnot - I don't do this, but I have friends who do and they love it.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:52 PM, MisterMR said:

I’ve stopped on eBay because they’re so anti-seller. I sold a Pop earlier this year for $1300. eBay took their fees, I sent off the item, all good. A month later the buyer does a chargeback with her credit card company under the guise of “item not as described.” Since it’s a chargeback with the credit card company and not through eBay, eBay says it’s hands are tied, honors the chargeback, takes back the money they gave me PLUS the fees, and the buyer still has my Pop. eBay refuses to do more. I’ve had to file a police report and a report with the post office and my next step is small claims court.

This is why I sell all my comics now through MCS. They’ll post it on eBay and on their own site and handle everything including returns. For sales they charge only 10% and if you do it as an auction on their site, it’s only an 8% commission.

This is insane. This is actually insane. I am sorry. My blood boiled reading this. 

On 8/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, D2 said:

This is insane. This is actually insane. I am sorry. My blood boiled reading this. 

Thanks, it’s been a nightmare. It took a weeks for the police to even take a report even though the Pop is worth more than $950, which is the threshold for felony theft in CA. When I would message eBay with questions such as “does this mean any buyer can now just claim “item not as described,” do a credit card chargeback, and keep the item?,” it was either ignored or answered with a form response.  eBay is NOT worth it. I would never in a thousand years sell anything of value on there now because of what I’ve gone through. 

On 8/4/2023 at 3:44 PM, D2 said:
On 8/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, manetteska said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on here as this is not how my eBay funds are handled.

Example: I sold an item on eBay for $2200; buyer paid July 27th, eBay sent my Net funds to my bank account July 29th, and the item was delivered on July 31st. 

This has been my experience since eBay changed to handling the payments themselves; I routinely receive my funds before the item has been delivered (let alone received any feedback).

I know there are various settings to determine how often you are paid (I believe mine is daily), but holding for 30 days does not make sense. From the above it appears you have had this situation happen before, so it seems something is up with your account. 

Did they send you a message in this particular case identifying the reason for the hold?

On 8/4/2023 at 4:19 PM, JollyComics said:

The buyer can change their mind within 30 days. Never know.

Correct, they can, it's called a return and there is a pretty standard flow and operation for returns.

eBay, as far as my account is concerned, does not hold my payments for 30 days in case there is a return.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:50 PM, manetteska said:
On 8/4/2023 at 3:44 PM, D2 said:

Expand  

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on here as this is not how my eBay funds are handled.

Example: I sold an item on eBay for $2200; buyer paid July 27th, eBay sent my Net funds to my bank account July 29th, and the item was delivered on July 31st. 

This has been my experience since eBay changed to handling the payments themselves; I routinely receive my funds before the item has been delivered (let alone received any feedback).

I know there are various settings to determine how often you are paid (I believe mine is daily), but holding for 30 days does not make sense. From the above it appears you have had this situation happen before, so it seems something is up with your account. 

Did they send you a message in this particular case identifying the reason for the hold?

I wasn't going to chime in, but either one wouldn't surprise me. I hardly sell on ebay, but once or twice every 6 months to a year....

At first this year it happened over night, the payout, then 3 to 6 months later I had to wait until delivered and call ebay to show delivered pointing out the tracking. Then next day or so, a payout.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:44 PM, D2 said:

plus right now they can make a 30days of 5% or so annually on the dough. Actually with all the coin that passes through them probably much higher than 5%

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, manetteska said:

My experience is the same as yours. I have my account set to pay daily so other than the two days for processing payment (which is a blatant interest grab on their part IMHO) it goes into my account right away.

What the OP described is BS. I don't know how they can hold the funds for that long after successful delivery and positive feedback.

Edited by kimik

I am not a seller but you might want to try selling here on the forums. I've bought off the forums and have had a positive experience thankfully so far.