• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Hornet # 1 ( 1940) 9.4 Universal up on EBay.
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Fun book but the demand is not there at that price. The first six issues weren't Harveys but put together by Bert Whitman studios. I found a nice issue of #5 at one of Terry's Yorba Linda shows and fell in love with the cover and had to pick it up. And you could take about three zeros off his price for this book.

GreenHornet5.thumb.jpg.775284d2ddb0fa90428243816e12ee2a.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 8/6/2023 at 9:49 AM, action1kid said:

I owned the Mile high copy . I was a 9.2. 
I thought it was under graded in the old holder to this day

I owned it when it was raw, was very surprised to see it only get an 8.5 the first time it was graded. But I guess even back then, CGC knew what grades to give to get maximum resubs.

On 8/7/2023 at 3:59 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wait are you joking or being serious? lol

Well, it is priced at at least 10 times what it's worth—I was serious about that—but I'm sure it wasn't an accident on his part. I doubt he's actually insane enough to think that it's worth anywhere near that amount, but he probably priced it that way as a marketing gimmick—and I guess it's working because it's gotten him attention here.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/7/2023 at 9:44 PM, action1kid said:

Of course the price was Ridiculous. 
It’s not a Major key. The run was too short.

It is a minor key of sorts. 

id say it’s worth 40k. 

what you say?

I think that it might have fetched $30K in 2021 or 2022 during the hot Covid market. Now? I don't even think it would hit $20K at auction. Nobody under 65 cares about that character, and it isn't a horror cover, a GGA cover, or a WWII cover.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think that it might have fetched $30K in 2021 or 2022 during the hot Covid market. Now? I don't even think it would hit $20K at auction. Nobody under 65 cares about that character, and it isn't a horror cover, a GGA cover, or a WWII cover.

These are the only recent sales I could find from a Heritage and CC auction. It definitely doesn’t sell often in any grade, that’s for sure. There’s an 8.5 for sale on CC for $23K best offer last I recall. Not sure how long it’s been sitting there.

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0669.jpeg

On 8/8/2023 at 11:00 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The 2011 reboot was terrible but if done properly for a younger generation I could see this character being relevant again. But it would need to be done by actors and directors of that generation. Wonder who owns the rights these days?

On 8/7/2023 at 8:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm under 65 and care about the character.  Still regret selling my copy many moons ago.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:31 PM, batman_fan said:

I'm under 65 and care about the character.  Still regret selling my copy many moons ago.

"No one" may have been hyperbole—(please don't tell me you're 63 or 64)—but I don't think that the character resonates much with younger collectors. I really can't predict what any book will sell for at auction on a given day; I've been surprised many times. But I'd see it as a risky investment at $20K—potentially hard to move a few years down the road as older collectors exit the hobby.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/8/2023 at 7:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

"No one" may have been hyperbole—(please don't tell me you're 63 or 64)—but I don't think that the character resonates much with younger collectors. I really can't predict what any book will sell for at auction on a given day; I've been surprised many times. But I'd see at a risky investment at $20K—potentially hard to move a few years down the road as older collectors exit the hobby.

I am not even 60 :shy:

I agree, only us older people loving on the character and the “recent” Green Hornet movie did nothing to revive the character.  I think in auction this book would clear $20k potentially over $25k