• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would a "date stamp" degrade a comic run value?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

So I am thinking of purchasing an Avengers run, about 1979-1997, full run none missing

They are VF/NM and a lot NM, so very nice, look unread, even older issues

Problem is on the inside there is a "dated stamp" mark, like the stamps a library uses. It does not really make you think "Oh lord that is ugly".

The stamp is on every single issue. I saw another post here just like this but really curious before I make a decision of spending money

Is it the date stamp related to the issuance of the comic?  If that's the case, I don't think it would affect value at all.

Is it all some random unrelated dates?  I would think that would hurt value.

Other questions would be does the stamp cover up words/art/story?  Does it leave imprints that affect the condition of the page?

Edited by revat

If it’s an actual date stamped like a date of arrival, those are not considered anything when factoring in grade. At least on a cover, not sure if that’s applicable to inside but I assume so. If you get the, graded you might get a notation but I don’t think it’ll hurt the grade hardly at all

On 8/7/2023 at 12:39 PM, shadroch said:

Wow. Someone had the same question about a FF run from the same period a week or two ago.

Tune in next week when someone asks about an X-Men run.

I personally don't like date stamps, but it would be kind of cool to have an entire run of books with date stamps from the same store as it's a reflection of a bygone era.  It would feel like owning a collection without the pedigree notation.