• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Allentown . And it’s a Key !
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2023 at 7:15 AM, action1kid said:

IMG_7422.png

Big congrats to you on your pick up here and even though the Boy Commandos title have clearly lost favor with the collectong base over the years, you certainly can't go wrong whenever you pick up an Allentown pedigree copy of a book.  :applause:

A bit surprised to see that the condirtion grade actually dropped on this book since it must have been a failed attempt at an upgrade since it was originally graded as a CGC 8.5 graded copy when it was first certified. doh!

Do I see an opportunity here, especially since it was also originally graded as a VF+ raw copy by Payette?  hm  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

I bought this book for 4 reasons.

1) It’s an Allentown 

2) It’s a key

3) It has a beautiful colorful exciting cover with deep colors.

4) I get a kick out of saying this book slept with  what is arguably the most valuable comic book in the world- The Allentown Detective # 27. 

Edited by action1kid

On 8/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, not only Payette then, as CGC also certifed it as a CGC 8.5 graded copy on its first go round.  :bigsmile:

Yes, CGC also graded it at 8.5, maybe not daring to conflict Payette 8.5 because of his rep as a very respectable grader. Years later “ They dared” and they are right.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:19 PM, action1kid said:

Yes, CGC also graded it at 8.5, maybe not daring to conflict Payette 8.5 because of his rep as a very respectable grader. Years later “ They dared” and they are right.

Is this possibly the reason why most of the Fox Allentown Wonderworld and Mystery Men books were certified higher by CGC when compared to Payette's original raw grades?  hm  (shrug)

On 8/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, KirbyJack said:

I personally love Boy Commandos #1, regardless of pedigree or even condition. I think it’s a great wartime DC key. And, I’m not positive, but isn’t it also the first appearance of Liberty Belle? 

It is! Love this book, too and the Liberty Belle debut story is a great one!

On 8/6/2023 at 2:27 PM, action1kid said:

There is even a bigger conflict with the Allentown Bulletman 1 which Payette graded as a VF+ (8.5). . It’s in a holder today as a 7.0.

I guess you would be referring to this CGC 7.0 graded Allentown copy of Bulletman 1 then:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/bulletman-1-allentown-pedigree-fawcett-publications-1941-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7163-92063.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Bulletman #1 Allentown Pedigree (Fawcett Publications, 1941) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Grader Notes
light spine stress lines
small crease left top of back cover
split top of spine

The spine split is much more noticeable from the back cover, but have you considered the possibilty that this damage might not have been there on the book when Payette graded it as a VF+ back in '87 and was incurred in the intervening 30 years before CGC certified it as a CGC 7.0 graded copy in 2017?  hm  (shrug)

lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F3%2F7%2F8%2F15378014%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 8/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess you would be referring to this CGC 7.0 graded Allentown copy of Bulletman 1 then:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/bulletman-1-allentown-pedigree-fawcett-publications-1941-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7163-92063.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Bulletman #1 Allentown Pedigree (Fawcett Publications, 1941) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Grader Notes
light spine stress lines
small crease left top of back cover
split top of spine

The spine split is much more noticeable from the back cover, but have you considered the possibilty that this damage might not have been there on the book when Payette graded it as a VF+ back in '87 and was incurred in the intervening 30 years before CGC certified it as a CGC 7.0 graded copy in 2017?  hm  (shrug)

lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F3%2F7%2F8%2F15378014%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Possibly the scenario you mention is what happened to the Allentown Wonder 1 with a 4” spine split on the front cover. I can see that happening putting it back in the Mylar.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, action1kid said:

Possibly the scenario you mention is what happened to the Allentown Wonder 1 with a 4” spine split on the front cover. I can see that happening putting it back in the Mylar.

Yep, especially since it was graded as a NM+ copy back in '87 and the large 4" spine split at the bottom would certainly have been caught by Payette during grading.  (thumbsu

Reminds me of a fellow boardie who sadly no longer posts here anymore, but had told me that he split the spine of his HG Mystery Men 1 when inserting it back into the mylar holder.  :fear:  :cry: