• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay change (for a change)
6 6

118 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, october said:

Anything that reduces the amount of buyers that make offers and disappear is good with me. Payment should be automatic and immediate when a deal closes, be it auction, BIN or Best Offer. 

Absolutely 100% agree with this.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, october said:

Payment should be automatic and immediate when a deal closes, be it auction, BIN or Best Offer. 

I like to combine shipping so I still want that option.

As a seller, that is good news at first sight as it will remove non-paying buyers.

However, as a buyer, I am a bit concerned as most of the time I buy multiple items from the same sellers whom can adjust their invoice in order to combine shipping cost. With this new change, will they still be able to send me a combined shipping invoice or will eBay automatically charge me shipping cost for every single purchase?

If combining shipping costs is not possible anymore, then that will be bad news for me as a seller too as buyers may refrain from buying multiple items from me as well.

I'm not sure if you can still do combined shipping when paying the full price of BINs, but whenever I make an offer these days, I automatically pay for the item (including full shipping) if the offer is accepted. I have to rely on the buyer to reimburse me the extra shipping costs when I buy multiple items from him ... which makes me nervous.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Whenever I do sell multiple items on ebay I normally add the shipping price to the book and offer free shipping. Then you don't have to worry about combining to make buyers happy anymore. 

So if I buy 5 books from you I am paying 5 "built in" shipping charges? Ouch. 

So eBay made me designate a card before I could even bid on auctions anymore. I just won four auctions from the same seller, and it autocharged me for all four, with the shipping for each item. I am pretty sure it is a seller that combines shipping, so we'll see if there is an adjustment...., 

What a dumb@ss system.

Interesting that I bought two stand-alone items earlier today, and I had to manually pay for each of those.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:32 AM, pickycollector said:

As a seller, that is good news at first sight as it will remove non-paying buyers.

However, as a buyer, I am a bit concerned as most of the time I buy multiple items from the same sellers whom can adjust their invoice in order to combine shipping cost. With this new change, will they still be able to send me a combined shipping invoice or will eBay automatically charge me shipping cost for every single purchase?

If combining shipping costs is not possible anymore, then that will be bad news for me as a seller too as buyers may refrain from buying multiple items from me as well.

If you set up the prepayment info during your offer, there is no opportunity to combine shipping. EBay will charge you the moment the seller's finger lifts off the Accept button.

This lack of combining only occurs during the new offer process, or if a seller has not enabled combined shipping. 

Most of the time for Buy-It-Now items, you can put them in your cart and request a total. This commits you to buying the items, but won't require payment until invoiced. Hopefully you have communicated with the seller as to what to expect for shipping. 

This new offer system can be worked around by setting up your intentions with the seller ahead of time. They can group your desired Buy-It-Now items into 1 listing at an agreed price, agreed amount of shipping. Or let you do Buy-It-Now purchases at full price on all but 1  listing, that one discounted by the agreed credit for the multi-item purchase and combined shipping. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:21 PM, lizards2 said:

So eBay made me designate a card before I could even bid on auctions anymore.

THAT is going to be a huge problem now.

Pretty much means you have to contact each seller before you bid, explain the problem to them, and ask how they will handle your shipping overpayments. Even those who already have shipping rules in place, which will be disregarded.

Ebay - What a STUPID company. Possibly the stupidest on the planet. 

On 8/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

If you are getting 5 books shipped really well with great descriptions and photos does it really matter? Are you really concerned about a few bucks?

On 8/12/2023 at 6:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

Yes. But hopefully the seller will give you a partial refund for the combined shipping. I've done this as a seller and had it done as a buyer.

It never hurts to ask the seller ahead of time. If they are halfway decent they will do this.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:05 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

If you are getting 5 books shipped really well with great descriptions and photos does it really matter? Are you really concerned about a few bucks?

If they are charging $5 each for shipping then they are spending $25 on shipping 5 books that easily fit into 1 package and is costing them a fraction of that.

A little bit more that "a few bucks"

On 8/12/2023 at 7:14 PM, Dr Zen said:

If they are charging $5 each for shipping then they are spending $25 on shipping 5 books that easily fit into 1 package and is costing them a fraction of that.

A little bit more that "a few bucks"

You're assuming I charge $5 for a book. But you know the price of the books and the condition. So what's the problem? You see 5 books you like, you agree it's a fair price, you get the books shipped bullet proof. No games. Every book is checked out thoroughly. I've never had a negative. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You're assuming I charge $5 for a book. But you know the price of the books and the condition. So what's the problem? You see 5 books you like, you agree it's a fair price, you get the books shipped bullet proof. No games. Every book is checked out thoroughly. I've never had a negative. 

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about ebay shipping in general. That's why I used the pronoun 'they' and not the pronoun 'you'. The going rate for shipping is about $5.

I don't know the price point of the books Lightning55 buys, but let's say you buy 5 books for ~10 bucks each from the same seller. Would you be willing to spend $25 on shipping when you know it doesn't cost anywhere near that?

On 8/12/2023 at 7:25 PM, Dr Zen said:

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about ebay shipping in general. That's why I used the pronoun 'they' and not the pronoun 'you'. The going rate for shipping is about $5.

I don't know the price point of the books Lightning55 buys, but let's say you buy 5 books for ~10 bucks each from the same seller. Would you be willing to spend $25 on shipping when you know it doesn't cost anywhere near that?

I think you are thinking too much about this built in shipping. Like I'm trying to rip people off. You have me confused with the sellers who purposely over-grade their books, don't give you proper descriptions. Take a photo of the book still in the plastic. Use terms like WOW or KEY or MOVIE COMING. What you get from me is the book you see at the price you agreed to pay. Don't matter how to break it down. You are getting what you paid for! 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:32 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I think you are thinking too much about this built in shipping. Like I'm trying to rip people off. You have me confused with the sellers who purposely over-grade their books, don't give you proper descriptions. Take a photo of the book still in the plastic. Use terms like WOW or KEY or MOVIE COMING. What you get from me is the book you see at the price you agreed to pay. Don't matter how to break it down. You are getting what you paid for! 

So you would be willing to pay 5 times the shipping?   I never said or implied that you are ripping people off. I was talking in generalities. If you are sending someone a package anyway why charge 5 times as much?

The combined shipping issue I understand and sympathize with. But otherwise I applaud this change. They just stole the idea from Whatnot, where tons of people sell cards and comics now because buyers have to have a card on file and it gets immediately charged when they buy something. To me, if your an honest buyer intending to follow thru on your purchase I don’t see how there’s any problem with the change - other than the shipping thing.