• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay change (for a change)
6 6

118 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, lizards2 said:

I can't seem to fix the Paypal automatic payment from drawing on my debit card. If anyone figures this out, let me know.

Delete the debit card. I had to delete

my credit card to get it off.

Go to account profile and hiy delete

On 8/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, skypinkblu said:

Delete the debit card. I had to delete

my credit card to get it off.

Go to account profile and hiy delete

I'll check - it isn't in eBay, it is in Paypal.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:21 PM, lizards2 said:

I'll check - it isn't in eBay, it is in Paypal.

I deleted the card on eBay and switched to Paypal. So it's different I guess. When I deleted my credit card, I could not make an offer or bid until I authorized PP and then they made me sign into Paypal and authorize a card there, through PP, but it said I could change it any time...who knows...I would use a few words here I don't usually use in public, but I don't want anyone fainting;)

Hahaha

Ebay Australia just introduced GST without notice.

I just saw it for the first time on a guys multiple purchase today.

The buyer pays.

I worked out it is only added to 'Brand new' designated items.

100% certain that every seller will now list 'As new' with the description "still sealed in original packing - never opened".

Buyers will gravitate to "As new" - with no GST, rather than "Brand New" with GST that the buyer pays.

It would seem eBay Australia isn't going to tackle tax on sellers, but whack buyers with GST. 

Taxing Sellers won't work as receipts just aren't a thing here, and there aren't that many who (in relation to USA / UK for example) sell full time for a living exclusively on used products. It's mostly Moms and Pops clearing out the garage.

I think it's aimed at People who sell cars and whitegoods full time.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:35 AM, skypinkblu said:

Is that Global shipping?

I guess they didn't make the change because I just looked at my purchase list and another item was not only auto paid, they never told me I won the item. That was tonight.

That's ridiculous, and unacceptable. The continuation of the downward slide for eBay. Brace for impact!

On 8/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, Beige said:

Hahaha

Ebay Australia just introduced GST without notice.

I just saw it for the first time on a guys multiple purchase today.

The buyer pays.

I worked out it is only added to 'Brand new' designated items.

100% certain that every seller will now list 'As new' with the description "still sealed in original packing - never opened".

Buyers will gravitate to "As new" - with no GST, rather than "Brand New" with GST that the buyer pays.

It would seem eBay Australia isn't going to tackle tax on sellers, but whack buyers with GST. 

Taxing Sellers won't work as receipts just aren't a thing here, and there aren't that many who (in relation to USA / UK for example) sell full time for a living exclusively on used products. It's mostly Moms and Pops clearing out the garage.

I think it's aimed at People who sell cars and whitegoods full time.

The buyer affected got back to me........

Hello,
Finally got a help chat.
looks like the site glitched over the weekend and domestic purchases were charged GST, they are looking into it.
cheers

:facepalm:

And another....

No worries, thanks for your reply, and for the invoice, which I have. I just tried to pay, but for some reason eBay is automatically adding $4.92 GST on top of what you've charged. It shouldn't do that within Australia

On 8/7/2023 at 5:14 PM, Cat said:

I did forget one esteemed gentlemen who did take the time to reject my offer, on the basis that he doesn't accept offers. 

So. Why. The. Freaking. Hell. Do. You. Have. Offers. Available. On. Your. Items. You. Galactic. insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

eBay changed its listed model about two years ago-- MAKE OFFERS is often a default setting so sellers who don't know to go through line by line or are using the app don't see it-- I only figured this out after having a lengthy back and forth with a good seller who responded to my best offer with "I don't take offers-- why do I keep getting them?"  So I went through to setup one and found the line (I stopped selling on eBay some time ago too).

So that's why.

There's also a good mix of really dumb sellers out there too-- I recently got an offer in which took 5c off the asking price.

On 8/29/2023 at 2:49 PM, manetteska said:

eBay either needs to require all users to have a form of payment ready to go -- and authorized to go -- or they need to look into why so many of their users get hit with "family emergencies" right when it's time to pay for an auction.

I make a lot of offers on ebay. A couple of times now they have requested payment information before I can make an offer. If it is accepted, I am billed immediately. This doesn't bother me, but is this happening to anyone else? I've been on ebay for over two decades so it isn't because I'm new or ever backed out of a deal.

On 8/30/2023 at 5:58 PM, evilskip said:
On 8/29/2023 at 2:49 PM, manetteska said:

eBay either needs to require all users to have a form of payment ready to go -- and authorized to go -- or they need to look into why so many of their users get hit with "family emergencies" right when it's time to pay for an auction.

I make a lot of offers on ebay. A couple of times now they have requested payment information before I can make an offer. If it is accepted, I am billed immediately. This doesn't bother me, but is this happening to anyone else? I've been on ebay for over two decades so it isn't because I'm new or ever backed out of a deal.

Yes; when I put in an offer I now have to put in a payment method.

However, it's not happening to everyone, as I have had people accept offers I send them and then take 12+ hours until I'm notified they have paid.

Unsure how eBay is rolling it out -- by area, feedback score, etc.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, evilskip said:

Did you bother to read ANY of the previous posts in this thread, detailing this issue? C'mon man.

On 8/30/2023 at 7:33 PM, Lightning55 said:

Did you bother to read ANY of the previous posts in this thread, detailing this issue? C'mon man.

And did you clearly read my post? I'm not stupid, thank you. I perfectly understand the why and the wherefores. But nobody posted that they were having to provide payment information ahead of purchase and I was asking if it was happening to anyone else.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:09 AM, evilskip said:

And did you clearly read my post? I'm not stupid, thank you. I perfectly understand the why and the wherefores. But nobody posted that they were having to provide payment information ahead of purchase and I was asking if it was happening to anyone else.

It literally is in the very first post, and others after it.

"All of a sudden I got a popup saying my credit card was going to be charged when I made a best offer. I got no notification before the popup. Once they enable your credit card, they just keep using it."

Maybe not reading to comprehend, which is slightly better than not reading. The whole thread is devoted to your question, the same one posed by the OP.

Edited by Lightning55