• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the pursuit of nostalgia vs. living in the present
6 6

104 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 1:08 AM, factory sealed said:

I have friends that have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on vintage comics or toys all in the pursuit to experience or relive moments that have been permanently lost in time.

Admittedly I will say unequivocally my "best" days are behind me and everyone from their own respective generation will have their particular specific favorites. I feel very fortunate to have grown up between the 70s/80s. What an incredible time period this was ranging from comics, cartoons, music, non-sports trading cards, movies, toys, and video games.  

That immense and incredible build up of anticipation before holidays and birthdays or riding your bike to a 7-11 in hopes that the new comic issues had been put out on the rack or walking into an arcade to hear that loud thunderous echoing of five different Defender and Centipede machines being played simultaneously etc.

These core memories and moments are so very special to all of us. I am just curious; especially for folks with OCD type personalities such as myself, how do you balance your own pursuits of nostalgic bliss and collecting goals vs. an appreciation for living and enjoying in the present moment. 

Nice thread. With me I certainly relish the best moments of the past but make a conscious effort not to fall for the trap of living there as one risks idealizing it at the expense of the present. It's tempting to do that as the past is so much better. One has to remember the attributes of the present and appreciate them (the best are great) to maintain a perfect balance.

I thought this was a super goofy thread, with a silly premise, but it seems to have struck a cord with people, so obviously I was wrong.  I will say I don't get it though.  Why does it have to be a line between nostalgia and "living in the present"--with a bright line one "versus" the other?  I collect mostly things from my childhood, but it's my present too.  My Dark Knight Returns statue was just produced last year, and I look at it every day here in the present.  My memories of that are now both reading DKR for the first time in the 80s, plus putting it up in a new display case last year.  If I prefer Peter Parker over Miles Morales, does that mean I'm living in the past?  For me it's more of a combination of nostalgia and the present than one "vs" the other.  Although I mostly collect older stuff, I do like some recent stuff--music, characters, movies, etc.--and it all just gels together.  Collect the stuff / listen to the music / watch the movies that you like--I wouldn't worry at all about whether it's past or present.