• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the pursuit of nostalgia vs. living in the present
6 6

104 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 12:08 AM, factory sealed said:

how do you balance your own pursuits of nostalgic bliss and collecting goals vs. an appreciation for living and enjoying in the present moment. 

I would love to provide some clever answer, but in short you don't.

While I keep up with current fads to some degree (tiktok, chat GPT, AI Art, especially new books) as the years rush forward I find myself less and less inclined to bother with various "new" things. While I by no means live in the past of nostalgia, I just don't really care as much to learn new things or pretend something "new" is actually new (you can only see differently angled marketing for swamp coolers that provide revolutionary newly discovered AC; before you start screaming at the adds).

It is a balance of losing effort really; the scales start to tip and before you know it, you have been left behind shouting at those lazy youths of today.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, Ken Aldred said:

You lived in a very different Bronze and Copper Age Britain to me.

I know what you're referring to Paul and that falls under the far from perfect element I mentioned. Far from perfect.  I was thinking for kids. Everything today is crash bang wallop and 'going large'. They wouldn't make the Clangers today, would they. And the gallery on Take Hart would be set to rave music, no doubt. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I know what you're referring to Paul and that falls under the far from perfect element I mentioned. Far from perfect.  I was thinking for kids. Everything today is crash bang wallop and 'going large'. They wouldn't make the Clangers today, would they. And the gallery on Take Hart would be set to rave music, no doubt. 

It's called EDM now, not 'rave'. 

:devil:

On 8/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, evilskip said:

When my brother in law died, we wound up with 3 electric train engines that my in laws bought him back in 1956. They look great and they run.

I've talked to 2 of the biggest train collectors in our area of the state. They tell me the trains we have are wonderful and worth some money. However, the "market" for them is dwindling rapidly as the baby boomers numbers are shrinking. There really isn't much of a market for them, maybe 25% of their actual value if a buyer could even be found.

People under 40 are more attracted to video games and don't want to fool with things like train tracks and all the other items that previous generations did.

One person's nostalgia is another person's pain in the tookus.

Will comics go the way of Electric train engines?  

On 8/7/2023 at 8:13 AM, WolverineX said:

Will comics go the way of Electric train engines?  

I feel like they already have :cry:

I also grew up in the 70's and after going thru two collections of comics and toys it just isn't the same for kids today I don't think or maybe I'm just getting to old :preach: When I show these young people today my old comics or toys, things like Shogun Warriors, Megos, Johnny West, vintage Star Wars they just don't seem interested (shrug)

On 8/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, Azkaban said:

I feel like they already have :cry:

I also grew up in the 70's and after going thru two collections of comics and toys it just isn't the same for kids today I don't think or maybe I'm just getting to old :preach: When I show these young people today my old comics or toys, things like Shogun Warriors, Megos, Johnny West, vintage Star Wars they just don't seem interested (shrug)

Yeah, it seems like manga, fortnite, pokemon have all supplanted comics.  Does that mean we should try to sell off our books in the next 20 years?  

On 8/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, factory sealed said:

how do you balance your own pursuits of nostalgic bliss and collecting goals vs. an appreciation for living and enjoying in the present moment. 

My wife, family, and job responsibilities ensured that I was always 99% grounded in the present.  :makepoint:

On 8/7/2023 at 1:08 AM, factory sealed said: I feel very fortunate to have grown up between the 70s/80s. What an incredible time period this was ranging from comics, cartoons, music, non-sports trading cards, movies, toys, and video games.  

My sentiments exactly. It seems like the perfect median to have an appreciation of the things that came before us as well as having the ability to adapt to the changes that would come as we grew older because we witnessed it all in real time 

On 8/7/2023 at 1:08 AM, factory sealed said:

I feel very fortunate to have grown up between the 70s/80s. What an incredible time period this was ranging from comics, cartoons, music, non-sports trading cards, movies, toys, and video games.  

My sentiments exactly. It seems like the perfect median to have an appreciation of the things that came before us as well as having the ability to adapt to the changes that would come as we grew older because we witnessed it all in real time

Very interesting read.

I started my comic adventure in the early 90s as did a lot of others.  Collected for about 10 years then took a break.  That break lasted 20 years, only returning at the start of this year.

The landscape has changed dramatically.  One thing I find interesting when I watch comic videos or go to local cons, is that the people buying comics are my age or older.

Younger gen (I have a 13 yr old son) are all into online gaming, youtube, twitch etc.  I have a solid vintage video game and comic collection, and I often wonder as years go on will anyone care about this stuff?  Or will it be cyclical like so many other things in history and become popular again?

Nice to see everyone kind of thinking the same things.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:08 AM, Robot Man said:

I grew up in the dawn of the SA. My first Marvel was ASM #3. I watched Batman, The Munsters and Man from Uncle. I was heavily into British Invasion music.

I sucked it all in. I discovered GA books very early. They always had that certain “mystique”. So in addition to current comics I seeked out the early stuff a lot. A lot of it was the “thrill of the hunt”. In addition to comics, I also looked for vintage era toys of my dad’s age.

Over the years, I fairly easily assembled a nice collection of comics and toys of my youth. All along, picked up cool stuff from before my era.

I treasure my youth but don’t live totally in the past. I often say that we are all born and will die within a certain time frame. I have been blessed to grow up when I did. Wonderful times but you got to progress with the times. 

Any thoughts on this in comparison to your era? For me personally a large distinction of what drives my own personal obsession for nostalgia was the very deep rooted connection we had with a specific character(s) that spanned many different product channels between the comics first but also really well made cartoons, non-trading cards, aisle and aisles of action figures at different toy stores that were stacked to the ceilings, brilliant cinema movies, and allot of younger folks forget but in the 70s and early 80s there were even several super hero prime timeTV shows i.e. Spider-man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk etc. 

So what I'm driving at is there were so many different platforms back in this time frame to consume incredible quality content. It was just everywhere. And obviously when Star Wars came out and then the early 80s cycle of super hero cartoons i.e. MOTU, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats etc. this just took everything to a whole different level.

Funny you mention Batman; before it was syndicated more broadly speaking so you could watch it week days after school in the early 80s, back in mid/late 70s it was only shown once a week and super early on Saturday mornings either 6AM or 7AM. Never missed an episode, Those cliffhangers were just simply awesome.