• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 10 / Pristine / SA - Explain to me like I am 5

2 posts in this topic

Can someone explain this to me like I am 5?

Below are three graded promo card from the recent GenCon 2023 from the Ebay "card game".  I own the first one (graded Gem Mint 10)

image.png.7910b51da9b6429ac41277c622840e42.png

This is the exact same card but only graded as a "sample"... why?

image.png.511b13f168b8d979cf6f25ab71bf4f50.png

And this is the exact same card graded a "Pristine 10".

image.png.5db00c94021c125362e746d43ad5e2c5.png

Given the label differences I assume a Pristine 10 is better than a Gem Mint 10 but why? how? what are the rules (they are not explained very well)?

Can someone break this down for me?

Thanks

Edited by DougC

• Administrator

Hello @DougC

Thank you for reaching out to us. A card that displays Sample SA has not been graded but was simply placed in a holder to display a sample of the holder. This service is not publicly available but may have been done for a large dealer or special event.

Pristine 10 could be called the "best of the best." Gem Mint 10 and Pristine 10 are differentiated on the grading scale, as detailed below. 

Pristine 10: A Pristine 10 is a virtually flawless card to the naked eye. The centering is 50/50, and the card has flawless color and registration. All cards that merit a CGC Pristine 10 grade will receive a special CGC Cards Pristine 10 label.

Gem Mint 10: A Gem Mint 10 is a card that has received a 10 grade overall; however, one of the grading criteria does not meet the requirements of a Pristine 10. Corners will appear perfect to the naked eye and Mint+ under 10x magnification. The surface is free of print spots and should also display perfect gloss, devoid of any surface flaws. Centering is not to exceed approximately 55/45, and reverse centering is not to exceed 75/25.

if you have any other questions, please let us know.