• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader note: light scuffing to cover
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I don't have a photographic example,  but it usually refers to an area of the cover that has color loss. Could also be referred to as color rub, I believe.

So not a bend, crease, or scratch, but something causing erosion of ink. Might be very small, sometimes on the raised areas that the staples can create if not perfectly flat, making those "bumps" susceptible to color loss from rubbing.

It doesn’t say front or back cover, so you'll have to carefully check both.

SCUFF - Light paper ABRASION.

ABRASION - An area of a cover or spine has been roughened by rubbing against a rough surface. See also, PAPER ABRASION

PAPER ABRASION - Rough area on a comic cover where color has been scratched away through contact with a rough surface, revealing the paper beneath the ink.

SCUFFING: A light paper abrasion that may or may not break color, but interrupts the surface gloss of the book. Its effect on grading is determined by severity.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:14 PM, rpgdreamers said:

Doesn't even tell me where this light scuffling is on the cover. 

Most likely somewhere along the front cover side of the spine.  That's where a comic is the thickest, so that's the first place "shelf wear" type color loss will occur (unless, of course, the book has been improperly pressed to make it flat as a pancake  :facepalm: ).  :foryou:

A lot of the newer prestige(?)  format books have high gloss paper, and many have either black or dark blue back covers. Even dragging a book like that across a table will cause light scuffing. I see this all the time on books like the Dark Knight, Batman: Harley Quinn, etc.