• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1964) The Slow Build
5 5

1,173 posts in this topic

I never realized it, but Spidey 11 contains a letter by Ken Landgraf.    Ken went on to be an assistant to Gil Kane, Wally Wood, and Rich Buckler.  He inked numerous books for DC in the late 1970s, and was a member of The Tribe, the unsung artists who worked on many Marvel books of the era.  Ken was the artist on Wolverines  first solo adventure.  He also self-published books like The NYC Outlaws. He's been a fixture at NY shows for decades.

On 8/17/2023 at 11:16 PM, shadroch said:

I never realized it, but Spidey 11 contains a letter by Ken Landgraf.    Ken went on to be an assistant to Gil Kane, Wally Wood, and Rich Buckler.  He inked numerous books for DC in the late 1970s, and was a member of The Tribe, the unsung artists who worked on many Marvel books of the era.  Ken was the artist on Wolverines  first solo adventure.  He also self-published books like The NYC Outlaws. He's been a fixture at NY shows for decades.

What was Wolverine’s first solo adventure?

On 8/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, sfcityduck said:

What was Wolverine’s first solo adventure?

Marvel Treasury #26.  It's a six-page story done for inventory that finally saw the light of day.

Hercules is having a bad night and wanders into a tavern, grabbing the first wench he sees and inviting her to party with the Prince of Power. Her under-sized companion objects, and Hercs bad night gets worse.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, shadroch said:

Marvel Treasury #26.  It's a six-page story done for inventory that finally saw the light of day.

Hercules is having a bad night and wanders into a tavern, grabbing the first wench he sees and inviting her to party with the Prince of Power. Her under-sized companion objects, and Hercs bad night gets worse.

Ok. Got it.  I guess I will still go with 180-181-182 has his first solo adventure.

edited to add:  No need for confusion. The Herc Wolvie story was like Hulk and Wolvie. Two hero’s having a misunderstanding. Not sure how one could be a Wolvie solo story and the other not.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/20/2023 at 8:34 PM, Prince Namor said:

RCO022_1468825884.jpg

I know this is considered a classic issue, but this is some of the worst art I’ve ever seen Kirby involved with. When I was hunting these back issues as a kid, I coveted these early FF’s (and most of the other stuff we’ve looked at already like the JIM and TTA books), but now I’m left much more unimpressed. (shrug)

On 8/21/2023 at 12:10 AM, PopKulture said:

I know this is considered a classic issue, but this is some of the worst art I’ve ever seen Kirby involved with. When I was hunting these back issues as a kid, I coveted these early FF’s (and most of the other stuff we’ve looked at already like the JIM and TTA books), but now I’m left much more unimpressed. (shrug)

George Roussos (Bell) did Kirby no favors with his inking in this issue. A bit of a pity, as he did some great work over Kirby pencils in some of the Tales of Asgard stories from around this time.

FF #25 was the story where Dr. Banner acquired a new first name (pp. 4-6, specifically). Exit Bruce Banner, welcome Bob Banner! (Or, as Stan & co. would later christen him: Robert Bruce Banner.)

About 15 years later, the Hulk TV show would turn him into David Banner.

On 8/21/2023 at 1:10 AM, PopKulture said:

Agreed. Kirby doing 110 pages and 9 covers for the month probably didn't help. That's knocking out 4 pages a day for 30 straight days...

ON NEWSSTANDS JANUARY 1964

Patsy & Hedy #93 - There's no division of labor on Patsy & Hedy, even at the start of 1964, and by the dialogue it reads like Al Hartley is scripting it instead of Stan... which aligns with what Hartley would later say:

AL HARTLEY (Alter Ego #61) - JA: When did you start working that way, which is more identified with the 1960s and after, when it became known as the “Marvel method”?

HARTLEY: It’s hard to put a time frame on it, but I’d guess we started working that way in the mid-1950s. I didn’t work on staff; I always worked at home and would bring my stories in.

AL HARTLEY (Alter Ego #61) - Stan Lee didn’t come up with most of the ideas. He really gave me free rein. Actually, I’d just go ahead and write and draw the stories and then send them in.

Part ONE:

RCO001_1664037826.jpg

RCO003_1664037826.jpg

RCO004_1664037826.jpg

RCO005_1664037826.jpg

RCO006_1664037826.jpg

RCO007_1664037826.jpg