• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk has passed.
12 12

188 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, adamstrange said:
  • Contributed scans to many reference book projects

Jon was kind enough to do some scans for me (from his copy of New Fun #4) for a personal project of mine some years back, and I'm sure I was a complete stranger to him at the time.  His articles in CBM 25 years ago played a role in enticing me back into the hobby after a long absence.  So very sorry to hear of his passing. 

On 8/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, Sqeggs said:

That was the one time I met him as well. Appreciated and learned a lot from his contributions to the Comic Book Marketplace. His articles about tracking down Lamont Larson were classics. He assembled what was likely one of the best half dozen or so non-OO collections. There's been nothing quite like the CC auction of his collection.

I own the Larson copy of Jumbo 10. I guess I probably had to outbid you for it! 

jum1.1632a.jpeg

Well done, Sqeggs! (And btw, shouldn’t there be a “u” in your name someplace?)

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 8/13/2023 at 1:17 PM, Zolnerowich said:

I was super fortunate to have met Jon Berk, though only once, at the unforgettable Preview Night that ComicConnect organized in 2017 in advance of the auction. The books and original art on display (including the OA of Planet Comics #1 !!!), were breathtaking. He was very gracious discussing GA books with a N00B like me, and when I told him that Lou Fine's Jumbo Comics #10 was one of my favorite books, first, his eyes sparkled, and next, he suddenly pantomimed the full grand pose and arc where the hero has just flung his spear into the monster's flesh. I'll never forget that moment. Long Live Jon Berk!!!

You were looking at the Jumbo i was eyeing the Centaurs i this Chris was also there with us that night .The room was full of life Steve F and Vinnie and Jon all posing for pictures :smile:

Edited by comicjack

On 8/13/2023 at 6:52 PM, comicjack said:

You were looking at the Jumbo i was eyeing the Centaurs i this Chris was also there with us that night .The room was full of life Steve F and Vinnie and Jon all posing for pictures :smile:

I took some photos that night but I can't seem to find them. Probably lost when I exited Photobucket.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:06 PM, Sqeggs said:

I took some photos that night but I can't seem to find them. Probably lost when I exited Photobucket.

Same here can't find mine either 

On 8/13/2023 at 8:51 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Are you saying that’s you?

Nope. The other Jumbo 10 fan in this thread. The guy on the left in that photo looks kinda like Ted Van Liew but I don't remember his being there than night.