• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk has passed.
12 12

188 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2023 at 9:03 PM, adamstrange said:

At its peak, I think that was a good answer to a subjective question.  Other people might have more valuable books (The Dentist, Verzyl), but Jon's was certainly very interesting, containing rare and important comics, as well as many sparkling jewels from the Church pedigree.

...and if one includes the OA, and the wonderful reproductions by Murphy Anderson et al, it's that sheer love of the medium you've so eloquently described that illuminates his collection.

As I recall, it was the remarkable depth and diversity of Jon's collection that Richard described to me, years before it went to auction.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 8/17/2023 at 9:08 PM, MrBedrock said:

I am first and foremost a Timely collector, so Verzyl's collection was always the most intriguing to me. But Jon's collection was so deep in so many areas right up to and through the silver age. And he was always willing to show and share his books. That is now the way I would like my collection to be.

That's a worthy torch to be the bearer of, I'd say.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 8/17/2023 at 2:42 PM, adamstrange said:

In all the time I knew Jon, I never purchased a book from him, even though he had sold hundreds of comics.  When the auction was announced, I was anxious to fix that.

I doubt very many people realize that what was offered by ComicConnect was a scaled down version of his collection, reduced considerably from its peak.  In addition to Church runs of Hit and National, there were SA keys, misc GA, and quite a few 50s books.  Jon was not a wheeler dealer cyclying books in and out, but he got bit hard by the original art bug.

The first big bite of that apple occurred with the arrival at San Diego Con of the original art to the cover of Planet 1.  Alex Acevedo, a dealer in modern art but also previously a dealer in comics and comic art, gave the cover prime location in his booth.  Jon was smitten, and a deal was reached to exchange the Church copies of Pep 1 - 5 plus cash for the art.  The next day Alex had second thoughts and offered Jon $10k just to call the deal off, but the art mattered far more to Jon than the money.

Even with a nice trade value for the Peps, Jon still needed to raise the rest of the funds in time to meet the terms of their deal.  His solution was to sell the Church copies of National 1 - 5.  I was one of the people he called, but those are not my favorite issues even of that run and, at 4x Guide, it was over $40k so not pocket change.  Those did sell (and later the rest of the run) to Joe Smejkal, who eventually submitted them to Heritage.

Duly paid, Acevedo shipped the art to Jon's office while Jon was away.  He called his secretary to open the package and verify the contents, which resulted in an awkward conversation as she tried to describe to him the image of the aliens menacing the space men and women.  It was always his favorite piece of art, but, even though he could have afforded to keep it, he understood it was important to include it as one of the anchor lots of the auction.

As Jon continued to pursue other pieces of art or as funds were needed for family priorities, chunks of the collection were peeled off and shipped to a buyer.  His collection was extensive and de-accessioning was done thoughtfully, which is why the auction was still spectacularly stuffed with rarities and pedigrees, the favorite of which to him were the Fox comics.

My hopes for the auction were modest: one comic book and one piece of original art. Unfortunately, the ones I wanted were likely to be contested by others, who were sure to be rudely unconcerned with my interests.   

Which comic book?  It wasn't cheap, but I have the ability to recreate this picture any time I want to with a book freed from captivity, which I think would have pleased Jon.  I intend to be as careful a custodian and as generous a sharer as he was.

AdamStrangeMysMen8v2.jpg

Such awesome memories and it’s great you were able to buy that book in the end! Jon’s articles in CBM turned me onto a lot of interesting material. I’m happy you were able to share so much with him.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:08 PM, MrBedrock said:

I am first and foremost a Timely collector, so Verzyl's collection was always the most intriguing to me. But Jon's collection was so deep in so many areas right up to and through the silver age. And he was always willing to show and share his books. That is now the way I would like my collection to be.

It is and you do. Thanks!

On 8/17/2023 at 1:08 PM, MrBedrock said:

Well @MrBedrockstart sending them to me you :makepoint:

On 8/17/2023 at 10:50 AM, MrBedrock said:

One little correction - I bought the National run 1-23 from Jon, then foolishly sold them to Joe Smejkal. Selling them was one of the worst comic decisions I ever made.

On 8/17/2023 at 12:42 PM, MrBedrock said:

I've since bought a few back. I wonder if CGC would relabel them "From The Collection of Jon Berk"?

Well, if that doesn't work, then you could always try "From the Collection of Joe Smejkal" because I believe he also had a killer GA collection, especially when it came to the Hawkeye's along with many of the other Church pedigree runs he had.  :bigsmile:

Sadly, another long term collector who left us too early back about some 10 odd years ago.  :(

On 8/17/2023 at 10:35 AM, adamstrange said:

There is an exceptional copy in the Allentown collection, but I'm very happy with mine.

MysteryMenraw.jpg

Well, if it's the Allentown copy you are referring to, no doubt it's an exceptional copy but unfortunately locked away somewhere in a private collection and not likely to see the light of day anytime soon.  :cloud9:

One of the other possible still raw HG copies of Mystery Men 8 might just be the Larson copy as that was graded as a VF/NM copy with lite stains at the spine, but no doubt another copy that we will most likely not be seeing any time soon.  :luhv:

Speaking about HG copies and being the early Fox expert that you are, are you aware of the existence of any HG copies of Mystery Men 7 as this particular issue seems to be dearth of any HG copies?   Especially since the highest graded copy to date is the Church copy at CGC 8.0, with the next highest graded at only a mere CGC 4.0.  Doubt we would have much luck with the Larson copy here since that issue is listed as having a clipped coupon which would take it right out of the Universal category.  hm

On 8/18/2023 at 7:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's the Allentown copy you are referring to, no doubt it's an exceptional copy but unfortunately locked away somewhere in a private collection and not likely to see the light of day anytime soon.  :cloud9:

One of the other possible still raw HG copies of Mystery Men 8 might just be the Larson copy as that was graded as a VF/NM copy with lite stains at the spine, but no doubt another copy that we will most likely not be seeing any time soon.  :luhv:

Speaking about HG copies and being the early Fox expert that you are, are you aware of the existence of any HG copies of Mystery Men 7 as this particular issue seems to be dearth of any HG copies?   Especially since the highest graded copy to date is the Church copy at CGC 8.0, with the next highest graded at only a mere CGC 4.0.  Doubt we would have much luck with the Larson copy here since that issue is listed as having a clipped coupon which would take it right out of the Universal category.  hm

If the Church collection were removed from consideration (in an alternate universe where it never existed), I wonder what that would do to the census in terms of highest graded copies. How many Golden Age comics would have a highest graded in the vg/fine range, rather than the NM range?

On 8/18/2023 at 2:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's the Allentown copy you are referring to, no doubt it's an exceptional copy but unfortunately locked away somewhere in a private collection and not likely to see the light of day anytime soon.

I saw it in the light of day back in February, which is why I know that it is exceptional.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Speaking about HG copies and being the early Fox expert that you are, are you aware of the existence of any HG copies of Mystery Men 7 as this particular issue seems to be dearth of any HG copies?   Especially since the highest graded copy to date is the Church copy at CGC 8.0, with the next highest graded at only a mere CGC 4.0.  Doubt we would have much luck with the Larson copy here since that issue is listed as having a clipped coupon which would take it right out of the Universal category.

I am not aware of other nice copies of that issue.  Other than the color design, I dislike that particular cover, so, if I did hear about one, I'd have been sure to forget it.

On 8/18/2023 at 6:26 AM, batman_fan said:

You still in therapy over it?

Probably not. Just in shock as to what he had to pay to buy them back.

Like I say, if you got it keep it. I have sold beloved books for good reasons. Real estate purchases, kids college ect. Tough decisions but good solid decisions.

Usually something is sold, you spend the money and at the end of the day, you have nothing to show for it.

Knowing Ritchie, he has sold some amazing stuff for a very good reason. The difference is he can come up with the resources and drive to replace a lot of stuff which at this time, I am unable to or have found things to spend money on that mean more to me now.

Hang on to the stuff that means so much to you.

On 8/17/2023 at 11:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Speaking about HG copies and being the early Fox expert that you are, are you aware of the existence of any HG copies of Mystery Men 7 as this particular issue seems to be dearth of any HG copies? 

On 8/18/2023 at 1:47 AM, adamstrange said:

I am not aware of other nice copies of that issue.  Other than the color design, I dislike that particular cover, so, if I did hear about one, I'd have been sure to forget it.

Clearly NOT one of the go to covers from a strict artistic POV in that pantheon of stunning covers in the early Mystery Men 1-10 run.  :bigsmile:

And I imagine it's the strict rarity in grade for this particular issue that has resulted in Mystery Men 7 still being able to fetch thousands of dollars or huge multiples to unrestored condition guide even in low grade beater or restored condition during the past few years.  :whatthe:

Personally, being more of a si-fi fan myself, I've always loved the action packed cover for Mystery Men 2 with its bright colors and I must not be alone in this assessment as this book lately seems to have caught up or possibly even surpassed the highly popular Mystery Men 3 in value with lower grade copies in the CGC 3.0 to 3.5 grade range selling in the $5K to $7K price range during the past couple of years.  I imagine the winner of this Jon Berk copy of Mystery Men 2 for a "mere" $38.5K must be feeling pretty ecstatic about his astute purchase of this little beauty here:   :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/713137

mys5.259a.jpg

On 8/13/2023 at 6:36 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In addition to the above comments, I always appreciated the style in which he left the hobby. Instead of spacing his books out in multiple auctions, and thereby maximizing his profits, he chose to let them all go at once. In doing so, he passed his books to us at a more affordable cost. His exit strategy was the polar opposite of, say, the Promise Collection. 

jon had style

A bit surprised that this point has not been brought up more often in this day and age of seemingly always striving to maximize your potential profits, as I personally believe Jon knew exactly what he was doing when it came to the dissemination of his collection.  hm

Based upon his interviews and a couple of PM's I had with him during the frenetic auction time, I got the distinct impression that he wanted to pass his books to as many of the next generation of comic book COLLECTORS as possible so that they could become the custodians and caretakers of the books while maintaining stewardship over them.  :luhv:  :applause:

Jon was the best of us and indeed will sorely be missed.  :(

On 8/13/2023 at 1:17 PM, Zolnerowich said:

I was super fortunate to have met Jon Berk, though only once, at the unforgettable Preview Night that ComicConnect organized in 2017 in advance of the auction. The books and original art on display (including the OA of Planet Comics #1 !!!), were breathtaking. He was very gracious discussing GA books with a N00B like me, and when I told him that Lou Fine's Jumbo Comics #10 was one of my favorite books, first, his eyes sparkled, and next, he suddenly pantomimed the full grand pose and arc where the hero has just flung his spear into the monster's flesh. I'll never forget that moment. Long Live Jon Berk!!!

I had the opportunity to meet with Jerry Eiger in his apartment in the early 1980's.  I was about to publishing Lance Carrigan Of The Galactic with Jay Disbrow at that time.  Mr. Eiger was nice enough to show me the original art for Planet #1.  He declined my offer to purchase it. Lol.