• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do with extreme Newton Rings?
5 5

34 posts in this topic

What B.S.

I have over 200 CGC graded books and only one has a few light newton rings.

Its a holder defect that I refuse to accept when buying graded books.

I always reach out to sellers and ask if the book im interested in purchasing has them before I make my purchases.

To say that all cases have them is an outright lie.

(tsk)

• Administrator
On 8/17/2023 at 5:40 PM, KBSKards said:

I wasn't aware of this change until I requested a reholder under ME.

You can send this back as a ME.  I will send you instructions on how to do this via PM.

It's so weird. The competition companies don't have them (or very seldom and minor when they do), but CGC slabs are very often accompanied with NRs (even severe cases are so common these days that they no longer cause any double-takes). And yet CGC is like "Sorry, it's a natural occurrence. Nothing we can do about it."

Reminds me of a old job I had. There was a certain employee who arrived 10-15  minutes late just about every day. My boss was like "There's nothing we can do about it. He's got us over a barrel." because he was the only employee who knew how to run a particular machine. This is pretty much what CGC is doing. The vast majority of their submitters are CGC loyalists who refuse to either stop submitting or take their business elsewhere, so I'm certain CGC is like "What're they going to do about it. I'll tell you what they're going to do ... not a dang thing."

I think the struggle with holder design comes from trying to balance multiple objectives.  The encapsulated comic must be near archival with its preservation, secure from tampering with the comic and the CGC label, hold the comic tightly enough to not shift around easily within the slab and damage edges and corners, but not be held so tight that the cover is vulnerable to tearing away from the interior at the staples, and be visibly attractive for display. 

The evolution of slab designs to what the company uses now took place attempting to improve problems with one or more of these objectives.  Unfortunately, it's clear that the newest holder iteration fails too often with the last of the listed objectives, pleasing visual display, when Newton Rings are present and especially when they're abundant.

Edited by namisgr

CGC has fixed the issue from their fiscal perspective. Their policy now is unless quickly reported in under 14 days after grading by original submitter they will do nothing. 

See how easy they made it by in effect saying its completly your fault for purchasing one of their slabs in the first place.

I do expect soon they will addditionally bill a submitter for any and all debree and hairs CGC seals in a slab. New "Debree charge" to equal 10% FMV of a book.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, Artifiction said:

I'm not sure what egs is? :shy:

They comes from a chicken and are edible. As in  "I'll have an egs salad sandwich on toasted wheat bread"

Edited by MAR1979