• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do with extreme Newton Rings?
5 5

34 posts in this topic

Hi,

So with my latest submission I had some issues with Newton Rings. I did come across them before but this is the most extreme.

The attached is the absolute worse I have seen, barely anything left unaffected. The dark patches are the actual unaffected parts. The back cover is not much better either. Instead of a black cover I ended up with a swill of rainbow 

One thing the worst affected books have in common that they're thick, not you bog standard 32 page comics. 

What do you do since May's policy change regarding mechanical errors and these do not qualify. 

I wasn't aware of this change until I requested a reholder under ME.

IMG_20230815_115958.jpg

IMG_20230815_115941.jpg

I'd love to see the sceenshot, if available,  of them denying this request?

I haven't experienced this level, but I'm not sure they word it as a straight denial or what they even consider it as... ie acceptable or minor.

I'm not sure I believe given cgc reputation that they've denied this level.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:40 PM, KBSKards said:

Hi,

So with my latest submission I had some issues with Newton Rings. I did come across them before but this is the most extreme.

The attached is the absolute worse I have seen, barely anything left unaffected. The dark patches are the actual unaffected parts. The back cover is not much better either. Instead of a black cover I ended up with a swill of rainbow 

One thing the worst affected books have in common that they're thick, not you bog standard 32 page comics. 

What do you do since May's policy change regarding mechanical errors and these do not qualify. 

I wasn't aware of this change until I requested a reholder under ME.

IMG_20230815_115958.jpg

IMG_20230815_115941.jpg

Idk that it changed if so, they still approve them.

Unfortunately, the quality control is going down the latrine... Next scuffing/debris will be considered acceptable. Was hoping with the policy change, they'd put more resources into QC... My last submission had scratches, mislabels, and dirt in the cases.

It's sad that so much attention is given to grading, but not QC. A few pixels of color rub is detected by graders, but dirt/scuff/Newtons aren't.

Edited by Le Chat Noir

We'll why even have a "me?"

Not to get technical but thank you for understanding @KBSKards you can edit out your name in the email if you need to.

Just if you're going to accept mechanical error, I can't see how these don't qualify, unless something is fishy. doh!

If "these don't qualify!?!" ???

Exactly "what does?" Idk 

There is a way to potentially fix NR's by yourself, but it can be risky, and a delicate touch is required.  I found a fix that was posted online, then made a couple of personal touches to the fix.  I was able to fix the front side of about 50 percent of my Modern slabs, maybe more.  I don't do business with CGC anymore, so I found my own way.

Edited by Galen130

On 8/17/2023 at 6:49 PM, Lightning55 said:

My recollection is that for excessive rings, they may approve an M.E. on a case by case basis. This certainly looks like it should qualify. 

Maybe @CGC Mike can help out.

Thats what i was saying and my understanding as well. Its confusing when the answer in the email states they're "are in all slabs, some come and go, get better get worse, but are expected"

Hindsight in the older slabs i DO remember them going away on their own, or lessoning. That part is true, but with books like these it may be hard to believe it possible lol

But was why i was concerned on why have a offer of even a possible "me" if this is acceptable. Idk doesnt jive imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/17/2023 at 6:54 PM, Lightning55 said:

I looked the book up and checked out the provided scans, no rings visible. But it is a straight on view.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4301221019/

That and many many many things could occur. Not saying this happened, but there "could have been a spec of unhappy rings, denied a me, then pressed the slab together to make them worse and post here". Not shouting conspiracy but with the copper forum of newish posters posting competition slabs @CGC Mike IT doesn't sound out of the possibility for something fishy

I know plenty, I mean plenty in the qc thread that have been approved for "me", and this seems out of the ordinary. I'm not pointing fingers, but it's in its own thread rather that the qc thread, plus all other mentioned, just doesn't jive imo

Hope I'm yay or nay wrong cause these as they stand should qualify, and I hope he or she is able. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/17/2023 at 11:44 PM, Galen130 said:

There is a way to potentially fix NR's by yourself, but it can be risky, and a delicate touch is required.  I found a fix that was posted online, then made a couple of personal touches to the fix.  I was able to fix the front side of about 50 percent of my Modern slabs, maybe more.  I don't do business with CGC anymore, so I found my own way.

I saw some tips on YouTube, ie. to slide some strong piece of mylar through the bottom of the case and to wiggle it about, and I did try it one on a low value book but to no use. 

This book on the other hand was just so thick to begin with, go to be 80+ pages.. Almost makes you wonder that perhaps it should've been a square bound issue. And perhaps the larger CGC case could be used with these thickos

And I agree, on the scan it looks great. Looking at it dead centre in certain light its ok. But at most angles its hard to miss.

Edited by KBSKards

On 8/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, KBSKards said:

Here are a few more pics, including the back cover.. 

Deepwater Horizon rings bells

IMG_20230818_023416.jpg

IMG_20230818_023431.jpg

I appreciate you being candid and patient, as that IS unfortunate . I know covers like that when it is all black or one color that doesn't divide up or under mine the prism effect are the hardest offenders.  :(

That's not your fault though, as we should collect what we love, such is the hobby. I can only think that as these are collected that "cgc has seen this 'type' before", and I'd hope they wouldn't give up.

Idk how many there are but is "typical" of what I see most being sent back, not sure of a "fix" for it myself so I empathize that these are stand outs in effect!

If this was the main QC thread, it's been mentioned, but don't go through the slab to alleviate pressure with a backing board lol

I make my own scratches with that one!  :insane:

If possible covering that with a bag, and using a bag and board sounds plausible. Again thickness a factor!  :ohnoez:

Unfortunately there's not much you can do. When this whole Newton ring debacle started there were many of us that voiced our displeasure. In fact a thread with a vote came about to get input from everyone and it seemed to help for a short time. People were sending their slabs back and if I remember correctly most were getting fixed. That thread has vanished and so has CGCs desire to fix this problem. It's really quite an easy fix too so I don't know why they wouldn't take care of it. The old cases never had this problem. The competition's cases don't have this problem. I have 1 slab from the company that supposedly was ran from a dudes basement. It is beautiful in every way. And for less. And no label errors. And the book isn't upside down. And it didn't come with shards or a bonus bug inside. Sorry rant off.

Hopefully they put an end to this soon. I have books being graded right now too and I'd rather not have books that are caked with rings.