• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

October Heritage International Art Auction
3 3

88 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2023 at 7:35 PM, Michael Browning said:

Does anyone believe that there are any John Buscema pencils underneath the Dan Adkins inks? Wasn't this around the time Adkins was doing those look-alike drawings for collectors where he would draw a commission in the style of, say, Buscema? Am I misremembering?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/john-buscema-and-dan-adkins-silver-surfer-illustration-original-art-1999-/a/7345-52060.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

That's the feeling I had too but couldn't remember exactly. Was this at Black Line Fever? I thought I'd seen it before and it was more clear...

On 10/6/2023 at 8:13 PM, Twanj said:

That's the feeling I had too but couldn't remember exactly. Was this at Black Line Fever? I thought I'd seen it before and it was more clear...

I'm not sure.I just remember there was a bit of confusion about some of the commissions Adkins did late in his life, where he signed his name and the artist who he was swiping. Too many of those have been sold and resold over the years as being by "pencils by Artist X and inks by Dan Adkins," when, in reality, the penciler never even touched the art. I'm just wondering if this is one of those (I think it is).

On 10/7/2023 at 6:05 AM, cstojano said:

I had this saved because it looked pretty cool, never saw this show, no clue what any of it is about but was surprised at the result when I got back to the computer this afternoon.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-cel/berserk-season-1-episode-6-guts-pan-sized-key-master-setup-production-cel-c12-a1-olm-1997-/a/7345-51013.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Wow! 

On 10/7/2023 at 5:03 AM, Bronty said:

Any results that stuck out on day 1?

Yeah, apparently the manga collectors didn't get the memo that prices are supposed to be softening.

Osamu Tezuka Astro Boy Vs Saucers Kamishibai IIllustration for $45k

Osamu Tezuka Jungle Emperor Leo (better known to western audiences as Kimba the White Lion) for $30k

Osamu Tezuka Astro Boy Original Drawing for $23,750

Most irritatingly, I'd picked up a page from a manga series from the 1950s for peanuts in the last auction and prices for pages from the series are much stronger in this auction.  

On 10/7/2023 at 6:05 AM, cstojano said:

I had this saved because it looked pretty cool, never saw this show, no clue what any of it is about but was surprised at the result when I got back to the computer this afternoon.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-cel/berserk-season-1-episode-6-guts-pan-sized-key-master-setup-production-cel-c12-a1-olm-1997-/a/7345-51013.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It's a manga series that started in 1989 and still on-going. The author passed away last year and his childhood friend and studio are continuing the series. One of the darkest manga and anime I have read and seen. The original anime's soundtrack is haunting (netflix) Think the passing of the creator has helped to skyrocket the prices. U won't find any Berserk cells cheap. 

On 10/6/2023 at 8:13 PM, Twanj said:

I spoke with Jim Halperin last night and he and his team agreed that it is Dan Adkins AFTER John Buscema and they will be making the change today.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:15 PM, tth2 said:

Yeah, apparently the manga collectors didn't get the memo that prices are supposed to be softening.

Osamu Tezuka Astro Boy Vs Saucers Kamishibai IIllustration for $45k

Osamu Tezuka Jungle Emperor Leo (better known to western audiences as Kimba the White Lion) for $30k

Osamu Tezuka Astro Boy Original Drawing for $23,750

Most irritatingly, I'd picked up a page from a manga series from the 1950s for peanuts in the last auction and prices for pages from the series are much stronger in this auction.  

Yeah I hate it when I buy something cheap 🥹😉

but I get it, you’d like to buy more .

On 10/6/2023 at 11:26 PM, Grendel72 said:

It's a manga series that started in 1989 and still on-going. The author passed away last year and his childhood friend and studio are continuing the series. One of the darkest manga and anime I have read and seen. The original anime's soundtrack is haunting (netflix) Think the passing of the creator has helped to skyrocket the prices. U won't find any Berserk cells cheap. 

Interesting.   Thx for the context . 

On 10/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, Michael Browning said:

I spoke with Jim Halperin last night and he and his team agreed that it is Dan Adkins AFTER John Buscema and they will be making the change today.

Glad they modified the listing… you have to ALWAYS be cautious when buying sketches and ESPECIALLY inked sketches!!!

On 10/7/2023 at 1:14 PM, cstojano said:

So far the few lots I had on watch seem light today, the Gimenez pages, the Moebius page. I suspect consigning the entire first Metabarons book had to drag on prices a bit. The Segrelles also seemed very cheap. 

I, too, thought the Segrelles went VERY cheap. I was expecting those to hit much higher numbers.

I didn't bid on a thing, but I've watched off and on throughout the day. A lot of the big pieces underperformed, I thought.

On 10/7/2023 at 2:07 PM, Michael Browning said:

I, too, thought the Segrelles went VERY cheap. I was expecting those to hit much higher numbers.

I didn't bid on a thing, but I've watched off and on throughout the day. A lot of the big pieces underperformed, I thought.

Same, lots of pre-auction interest and just no desire to spend money today for some reason.

And the auctioneer knew that some stuff was taking a dive. He kept on that Segrelles for a long time and was stating values mid lot, like "this is a 10k piece guys" on something stalled at 6k. And he was right, I thought. Not sure why bought the first Segrelles page they ever auctioned a few years back for north of 40k, but they can't feel great right now.

Maybe the tear and dedication held the price back on that cover, or its limited market use? It was also used on a book by Gary Gygax on gaming!! Quite the real estate.

edit: Just saw what the Kirby 2001 page did, wow! Strong price I think. Yes its movie conan and Treasury Edition (not the weird offshoot) but its a pretty calm page all things considered, for 30k

Edited by cstojano

On 10/6/2023 at 4:35 PM, Michael Browning said:

Does anyone believe that there are any John Buscema pencils underneath the Dan Adkins inks? Wasn't this around the time Adkins was doing those look-alike drawings for collectors where he would draw a commission in the style of, say, Buscema? Am I misremembering?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/john-buscema-and-dan-adkins-silver-surfer-illustration-original-art-1999-/a/7345-52060.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

I don't believe it. I can tell you with certainty that only Dan Adkins is on these pieces and also the other ones you referenced from black line. Dan confirmed this on a surfer piece I bought from him 20 years ago.

I traded that piece at an $200 value making it 100% clear it was not original Buscema underneath. and then saw it flipped at something called the Vault in UK for $1200 a month later. I had paid Dan $80 for an 11x17 and traded it as a Dan Adkins, making it clear it was Adkins only.

When it sold in the UK for $1200, it was auctioned as of it was John and Adkins. :-(

These are nice but I sure wouldn't pay too much for them.

On 10/6/2023 at 1:01 PM, comix4fun said:

Is that the guy selling the Frankenstein “recreations?” 

Some pieces I was following:

Brian Bolland 2000AD Prog #110 Page 6 for $13,750.  This seemed a bit light to me given the iconic image of the "cheap punk".

John Byrne and Terry Austin X-Men #129 Story Page 7 for $90,625.  Seemed pretty strong given such a small image of the team.

Steve Ditko The Amazing Spider-Man #36 Story Page 11 for $100k.  Is it just me or was this insanely light for a page with Spidey in action in every panel?

Dave Gibbons Watchmen #1 Story Page 3 for $115,625.  Seemed like a solid price.

Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #3 Story Page 45-46 for $550k.  The highlight of the auction, which puzzlingly went on the second day rather than the first.  Seems like a very strong price given that it's not the published version.

Alex Raymond Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim #9 Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 3-4-1934 for $42,500.  This went for a relatively light price given that it contains the first mention of "Ming the Merciless" and also include the Jungle Jim topper.  However, Raymond's style at this early stage of the strip's life is not to everyone's taste.  

John Romita Sr. and Mike Esposito Amazing Spider-Man #52 Story Page 16 for $137,500.  This seemed very strong to me.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:25 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Is that the guy selling the Frankenstein “recreations?” 

Same guy

Interesting auction.  While the premium stuff had very little action, the low end stuff is very active. 
can’t speak towards prices, or whether it means the market is “softening”, just noticing how it’s a little different than the American auctions that seem lately to have a lot of action on high end pages while the mid-lower pages seem stagnant 

On 10/7/2023 at 6:18 PM, cstojano said:

Same, lots of pre-auction interest and just no desire to spend money today for some reason.

I think the reason is pretty obvious with the events of the past 48 hours.

Little live bidding and some of it seemed very hesitant. They really had to milk some of these bids out. I actually placed a few bids on stuff not necessarily at the top of my want list, but they were so low I had to take a shot.

The DKR pages went at what I thought the minimum was $250k/300k bit thought they had a chance for more. I’m sure Mandel is happy with paying that for them assuming that’s where they went.