• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

0 for 2 on TMNT #2 slabs
1 1

8 posts in this topic

So, some of you may have read my thread in grading/restoration issues. That seller took the first book back. Now, I just received my second purchase, this time from a seller in Canada. I want to start by saying I've never seen a slab packaged this well. I state this because I am confident there is no way that 1) The slab could have sustained damage in transit, or 2) That customs went to the trouble of unpacking this book, cracking the side of the slab open, closing it, and then re-sealing all the bubble wrap (4 layers) and cardboard (4 layers) without any signs of the packing tape ever being cut/opened. Both these chips are inside the slab. One side is clearly open but the end tabs are still intact. My question is this; can a book in its plastic inner holder bag be removed from a slab and a different one inserted without any noticeable damage to the end tabs?

image.thumb.png.cb5f4c8f888edea51d466f974d1f7d08.pngimage.thumb.png.cecdd20fc6c209a2fa6028fe624ff78c.png

Edited by Calidream'n

On 8/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

Generally impossible to do.

Does the apparent grade seem significantly lower than the stated grade? Or is it that you are troubled by the plastic particles?

He also doesn't state which slab generation it is, without the label pic we don't know either, and those slabs opened on the sides and is normal. I believe even with magazines, so totally possible that nothing is a fray with the "seller" I suppose not noticing... (shrug) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/19/2023 at 2:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

He also doesn't state which slab generation it is, without the label pic we don't know either, and those slabs opened on the sides and is normal. I believe even with magazines, so totally possible that nothing is a fray with the "seller" I suppose not noticing... (shrug) 

@ADAMANTIUM here's a pic of the label. 

image.thumb.png.9cf96ee9c2ce457a3fb4462ce9afa0d6.png

On 8/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

Generally impossible to do.

Does the apparent grade seem significantly lower than the stated grade? Or is it that you are troubled by the plastic particles?

@Lightning55 I'm troubled by the chips simply because it means someone has either tried to crack this slab, OR like I originally thought, someone switched out a 9.6 for a lower grade. Is it a 9.6 in the slab? There are various little things which might make me think it's lower, but not enough where I would say damn, this is a 8.5 or 9.0 in a 9.6 slab. 

On 8/19/2023 at 2:46 PM, Calidream'n said:

@Lightning55 I'm troubled by the chips simply because it means someone has either tried to crack this slab, OR like I originally thought, someone switched out a 9.6 for a lower grade. Is it a 9.6 in the slab? There are various little things which might make me think it's lower, but not enough where I would say damn, this is a 8.5 or 9.0 in a 9.6 slab. 

Doesn't mean that. It's not an uncommon thing to have slabs come back with pieces of plastic inside the slab. But if discovered after the  stupid 14 day window, CGC refuses to correct the problem unless you pay them.

Edit: This is another example of CGC not correcting a problem that has been happening for years.

Edited by Gaard

On 8/19/2023 at 1:42 PM, Calidream'n said:

@ADAMANTIUM here's a pic of the label. 

image.thumb.png.9cf96ee9c2ce457a3fb4462ce9afa0d6.png

Thanks it is appreciated, I know mag slabs are hard to get a full pic of (thumbsu

My first impression is no one tried to pull a fast one, but that said, there have been reports of plastic shrapnel when encased, which "I'd assume" happened here. Since your not the submitter to cgc they won't reholder for free, but it would have needed to be done by the original submitter within a time frame when received back from CGC :sorry:

Looks to me: big slab, little shrapnel, seller probably didn't notice, but that doesn't really excuse the seller to not make it right. That said, if you don't necessarily see any chips on the case?

Then probably happened at encapsulation, which shouldn't but does happen :foryou: 

On 8/19/2023 at 2:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks it is appreciated, I know mag slabs are hard to get a full pic of (thumbsu

My first impression is no one tried to pull a fast one, but that said, there have been reports of plastic shrapnel when encased, which "I'd assume" happened here. Since your not the submitter to cgc they won't reholder for free, but it would have needed to be done by the original submitter within a time frame when received back from CGC :sorry:

Looks to me: big slab, little shrapnel, seller probably didn't notice, but that doesn't really excuse the seller to not make it right. That said, if you don't necessarily see any chips on the case?

Then probably happened at encapsulation, which shouldn't but does happen :foryou: 

Thanks I appreciate all the input.