• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA August 24, 2023 pulp action-Ultra rare THe Gorrila of the Gas bags!!!

12 posts in this topic

One of the greatest pulps ever is being aucitoned off at HA.com on Aug 24's pulp auction My favorite of the auction is the "Gorilla of the Gas Bags" it looks like a great copy...I was surprised that the current bid is $11,000 pus bp which would made it over 13K...any idea what this will sell for ?

Edited by Mmehdy

On the plus side -- this is one of the rarest of all pulps (are there even 10 extant copies in the world-- who knows?).  On the downside -- it's so obscure that only die-hard longtime pulps collectors have ever even heard of it.  Frank Robinson was obsessed with high-grade copies of his pulps, so one suspects this "vg" copy was the best he could find.  Still-- it's not Shadow #1, or the All-Story Tarzan, or Weird Tales #1... so, based on the multiples of 2020 Guide a lot of things have been going for, and factoring in the above observations, and then tossing in an "I haven't really got a clue"... I'll go out on a limb and say $30k with bp.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:47 AM, Bookery said:

On the plus side -- this is one of the rarest of all pulps (are there even 10 extant copies in the world-- who knows?).  On the downside -- it's so obscure that only die-hard longtime pulps collectors have ever even heard of it.  Frank Robinson was obsessed with high-grade copies of his pulps, so one suspects this "vg" copy was the best he could find.  Still-- it's not Shadow #1, or the All-Story Tarzan, or Weird Tales #1... so, based on the multiples of 2020 Guide a lot of things have been going for, and factoring in the above observations, and then tossing in an "I haven't really got a clue"... I'll go out on a limb and say $30k with bp.

WOW 30 K....amazing pulps have come a long way since that original price guide...super!!!!

On 8/20/2023 at 10:47 PM, Bookery said:

The last sale of this book on Heritage was in 2012--$6572 for an apparent VG+.  So $30k for an unrestored VG+ in this new era of exploding pulp prices on Heritage doesn't sound unreasonable.

On 8/20/2023 at 10:47 PM, Bookery said:

$43,200!

On 8/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, Mmehdy said:

One of the greatest pulps ever is being aucitoned off at HA.com on Aug 24's pulp auction My favorite of the auction is the "Gorilla of the Gas Bags" it looks like a great copy...I was surprised that the current bid is $11,000 pus bp which would made it over 13K...any idea what this will sell for ?

It is rare, I will give you that.  I have only owned a low grade copy of it years back.  There is another copy coming up from Dave Anderson's collection.

Edited by detective35