• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sept Heritage Signature Auction
3 3

281 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

100% correct.  I follow the Spidey Super Story stuff as I've quite a bit.  Based on the prices they have somewhat stabilized for the moment. This has occurred many times in the past right before they jump to the next level.   Do miss the good ol' days when I was able to pick up a Spidey Splash with Thanos for $50 :)

There is/was a good Spidey/Dr. Octopus page on eBay.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, Xatari said:

This issue was pretty highly sought after for a while.  One of the best modern Archie covers.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, Xatari said:

This issue was pretty highly sought after for a while.  One of the best modern Archie covers.

I agree, but I figured it MIGHT hit $7000. I was the high bidder for a second or two early on and knew it would go very high, but that's a HUGE amount for a modern Archie cover.

On 9/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, joefixit2 said:

The Hulk is my favorite character and Sal my fav artist by fr.  Been collecting his artwork for quite some time too and really painful to see how much even panel pages are going for in auctions.  The early Sal seems to be the most desirable, I was able to get a later Sal Hulk page a few days earlier on Heritage for a price I was surprised at. 

As mentioned by others 1970s Sal Hulk is getting its due especially the early TV show era. The 80s stuff that Sal inked has not caught up yet ROM stuff from same time has jumped.

Sal's Hulk looked great with so many of his 1976-1979 inkers I can see why so desirable. Count me as one of the cadre who has squirrled away action pages. At least until they hit the 1500 level. Now i'm content with what I have and sure glad i got them when i did!

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/15/2023 at 3:55 PM, delekkerste said:

Boris Vallejo SSOC #12 Cover at Heritage today = $78,000

Barry Windsor-Smith Conan #5 Cover at CLink last week:  $70,000

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i7imhisvnygzrxlokz

(To be sure, the SSOC is a better Boris work than the Conan #5 is a great example of BWS' work...but still. :fear:)

I actually thought the boris result was predictable TBH and I had predicted 72k on it in private discussions.

I understand the 'mind blown' reaction as there hasn't been a public boris data point at that level, but even if we look only at public data points, the HA comps paint a picture:

- pieces not on the same level (spaceship book cover?) getting 30k and the like recently

- more interesting pieces like SSOC 10 getting 30k also... but FIFTEEN years ago!

In other words, nothing had busted through that 30-40k level, but the items reaching the cap were progressively lower quality implying that a more desirable piece might bust right through that cap.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/17/2023 at 9:51 PM, Michael Browning said:

People, I haven’t seen anybody commenting on this shocker (and just recently, I was trash talking Archie art collectors for being so cheap):

Salaciousness sells! 

On 9/18/2023 at 9:58 AM, delekkerste said:

Salaciousness sells! 

It does.

Anyone else think her bathing suit bottom doesn't look quite right in that pose?   I'm probably the only one that cares, but I always though it looked off.

On 9/18/2023 at 10:00 AM, Bronty said:

It does.

Anyone else think her bathing suit bottom doesn't look quite right in that pose?   I'm probably the only one that cares, but I always though it looked off.

Its not bad, its just drawn that way

On 9/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, Twanj said:

image.thumb.png.884703064f5601a71fc23847bc792066.png

This was surprising to me. It sold on HA in the last few years for about 4k(?) but was not properly described as being inked after publication. The buyer canceled the sale after he learned that.

I think the price is okay given it is the special version cover of Ultimate Spider-Man for PS2. Many video game art collectors would be happy to have a Spidey game cover in their collections.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:57 AM, Jeremyamoto said:

I think the price is okay given it is the special version cover of Ultimate Spider-Man for PS2. Many video game art collectors would be happy to have a Spidey game cover in their collections.

If it was a non-OA collector crossing over it might make sense. They may not realize (and thus not care about ) the impact of the post publication alterations. 

On 9/18/2023 at 11:11 AM, comix4fun said:

If it was a non-OA collector crossing over it might make sense. They may not realize (and thus not care about ) the impact of the post publication alterations. 

No doubt they should've inked a blue line, but at the end of the day, it's still a published venom cover.

On 9/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, Jeremyamoto said:

No doubt they should've inked a blue line, but at the end of the day, it's still a published venom cover.

Right, with an interesting sentence or paragraph of disclosures attached. Whomever owns it needs to keep the description printed out and in the mylar behind the artwork if they ever think of moving it.