• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sept Heritage Signature Auction
3 3

281 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2023 at 3:11 AM, delekkerste said:

Great page, right in my nostalgic wheelhouse.

That said, I don't know if I want to live in a world where this page sells for $6K more than the Neal Adams Action #399 cover... :sorry: 

Marvel > DC

Spidey > Supes

Also, it's a pretty blah cover content wise.  Collectors want heroic poses.

Edited by tth2

On 9/16/2023 at 3:14 AM, delekkerste said:

I don't want to break confidences, but, some consignors are taking a bath today. Not going to point out specific pieces, but, just a reminder that just because some prices look "strong" or "healthy" today doesn't mean that people didn't pay even more when the market was hotter. 

Why are they selling?

On 9/15/2023 at 10:47 PM, tth2 said:

Why are they selling?

That’s a great question! At one point, when everything was going so high, I thought about selling and then the Secret Wars 8 page hit $3M and I got a feeling that every auction thereafter  was going to be a big letdown and I put those thoughts out of my head.

Now, I’d like to hold off for another 10 years until I’m close to retirement before I sell.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:20 AM, delekkerste said:

Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday...$312,000

I asked Heritage at SDCC what their price expectation was and was told they thought it had a good shot at $100K+. 

I said I wouldn't be surprised at $250K+. Sadly, I was correct. :cry: 

Heritage were clearly lowballing, as there was never any question this piece was going to be well over $100k.  I was surprised that it wasn't a first day lot.

It's a fantastic piece.  Personally I prefer his more "line-y" style from the 1936-38 period to the much cleaner style that he used in this piece, but there's no question that this is a beautiful piece and many collectors seem to prefer this cleaner period.  It also has the Jungle Jim strip intact, which is rare because often they've been detached. 

On 9/16/2023 at 4:03 AM, comix4fun said:

There are ALWAYS so many P-nutz to choose from, like Kirby pages. It's hard to really STRETTTTTCH for anything that's not really exceptional because we've been tripping over lots of choices for years upon years. 

This is true only if you don't care about the period a Peanuts strip came from.  If you only want a strip from the '50s or early '60s, then there's usually only a few strips per auction. 

On 9/16/2023 at 4:13 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:
On 9/16/2023 at 4:03 AM, comix4fun said:

There are ALWAYS so many P-nutz to choose from, like Kirby pages. It's hard to really STRETTTTTCH for anything that's not really exceptional because we've been tripping over lots of choices for years upon years. 

Yeah. If you really wanted a Peanuts page featuring exclusively Peppermint Patty, this was your auction.

The PP bowling strip from 1982 went for $20,400. 

It took me several minutes to pick myself up off the floor.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:20 AM, Bill C said:

Picked up an Anderson Atomic Knights page (HA Wednesday) for maybe a few hundred less than where I figured it might go, so I'm happy.

Congrats!  Those were some nice pages at very decent prices! 

I put in some tepid bids for them but was keeping my powder dry for the Signature Auction.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:59 PM, tth2 said:

This is true only if you don't care about the period a Peanuts strip came from.  If you only want a strip from the '50s or early '60s, then there's usually only a few strips per auction. 

A few strips per auction, per auction house, per month…..

I watched the first 20 or so lots on thurs, the thing that seemed a bit different from other HA signature auctions was the live bidding seemed quicker. It didn’t seem that there was as many bidding battles, so much so, it felt like a Comiclink auction… just kinda odd.

On 9/16/2023 at 5:21 AM, delekkerste said:

I may not have won the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday, but, I feel like I already won Heritage this week, having picked up this naked, phallic Jon Sable cover by Bill Jaaska for only $312 in the Wednesday weekly auction (for 1/1000th the price!):acclaim: 

BillJaaskaSable15Cover.thumb.jpeg.77b0f564014dc174cb455b15635f16a1.jpeg

:jokealert: (but I really did pick it up lol)

The placement of the gun is quite subtle. lol 

On 9/16/2023 at 8:21 AM, delekkerste said:

I may not have won the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday, but, I feel like I already won Heritage this week, having picked up this naked, phallic Jon Sable cover by Bill Jaaska for only $312 in the Wednesday weekly auction (for 1/1000th the price!):acclaim: 

Bill never used a gun, apparently... if you are right-handed you rack the slide (feed a bullet into the chamber after inserting a magazine) w/your left hand by coming over the top... what you should see here from this angle is the back of the wrist, not the fingers. Still a fun cover tho!

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 9/16/2023 at 8:21 AM, delekkerste said:

Hung above the bed of a guest bedroom :wishluck:

On 9/16/2023 at 9:03 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Bill never used a gun, apparently... if you are right-handed you rack the slide (feed a bullet into the chamber after inserting a magazine) w/your left hand by coming over the top... what you should see here from this angle is the back of the wrist, not the fingers. Still a fun cover tho!

You may be the only person who looked at that cover and saw an actual gun. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 9/16/2023 at 7:21 AM, delekkerste said:

Thanks for reminding us that these boards have been missing the ScreenShot2023-09-16at1_38_44PM.png.987c77e9eb596b69211306397f93e934.pngemoji all these years.