• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punch Comics 12 in 9.8
4 4

24 posts in this topic

There’s now a 9.8 copy of Punch Comics 12 on the census. I noticed this because the owner posted it on Instagram. Now here’s the kicker…it’s the 2023 facsimile. Scary to think this is slabbed with the original 1945 label. (shrug)

If I was the co-signer of the 8.0 copy coming up on HA, I’d be less than thrilled.

IMG_9407.thumb.jpeg.6d97e0c76ff6d2b826bc8c002103dedc.jpeg

Edited by C. Spaulding

Two books were submitted. Both were identified as the UK facsimile edition.  I didn’t know until the shipment came back and saw the label that they screwed up on the one that passed.  The ungraded copy was returned in the PS Arts bag with the facsimile edition seal still on it.  

Not only is it a total breakdown of CGC quality control, it highlights all the dangers of these UK facsimile editions.  There is nothing in the indicia or anywhere on the book to indicate it.  They are Golden Age size and true replicas.  

There would be nothing stopping a rogue operator falsely submitting these, or distressing them and trying to pass them off as aged copies. 

IMG_9988.jpeg

IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_9990.jpeg

Edited by harley_lizzrd
Typos.

There are a number of things that concern me when it comes to the legitimacy of books, slabbed or raw. CGC had a very hard time catching micro-trimming; I doubt very much that they can catch it 100% of the time now. And what about micro-color-touch? It's just a matter of time before a Mark Wilson or a Jason Ewert comes up with a method of color touching spine ticks that will pass a black light test. I would not be surprised if that has already happened.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:10 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It's just a matter of time before a Mark Wilson or a Jason Ewert comes up with a method of color touching spine ticks that will pass a black light test. I would not be surprised if that has already happened.

Does it really matter if on one can actually detect it, especially in this day and age of rampant "maximization of potential" where all sorts of other so-called undetectable former restoration activites are now not only allowed, but actually encouraged to be performed on books without any disclosure at all?  hm  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/24/2023 at 7:45 AM, whomerjay said:

idk but I like these facsimiles. What is best place to pick up these (GA) facsimiles? prefer raw I see no point in submitting these. 

The Golden Age facsimiles come from PS Artbooks out of the UK.  They really are fantastic replicas for books most of us will never own. 

Boardie's, I bought a few of these books and there is just no way that the peeps at CGC would mistake these facsimile copies as the genuine thing.  They have a different look, different paper, different feel, and they don't smell like an old vintage book.  For $20 they are great to have in your collection, but there is not way these books will pass for the real thing.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:07 AM, harley_lizzrd said:

The Golden Age facsimiles come from PS Artbooks out of the UK.  They really are fantastic replicas for books most of us will never own. 

On 8/31/2023 at 8:42 PM, Et-Es-Go said:

Boardie's, I bought a few of these books and there is just no way that the peeps at CGC would mistake these facsimile copies as the genuine thing.  They have a different look, different paper, different feel, and they don't smell like an old vintage book.  For $20 they are great to have in your collection, but there is not way these books will pass for the real thing.

Sounds as though they are similar to the Alan Light GA Timely facsimiles reprints then which came out decades ago at the turn of the 70's.  (thumbsu

On 8/31/2023 at 8:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though they are similar to the Alan Light GA Timely facsimiles reprints then which came out decades ago at the turn of the 70's.  (thumbsu

Very much so, but these days the Alan Light reprints might actually have that old book smell and feel which makes them "feel" more real.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:14 AM, Et-Es-Go said:

Very much so, but these days the Alan Light reprints might actually have that old book smell and feel which makes them "feel" more real.

The Alan White books look amazing and feel good in hand, though they're black and white and the paper isn't newsprint.  I have a number of them and they're getting pricey now.  I'm tempted to get some of these PS artbooks I gotta say.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, davidpg said:

The Alan White books look amazing and feel good in hand, though they're black and white and the paper isn't newsprint.  I have a number of them and they're getting pricey now.  I'm tempted to get some of these PS artbooks I gotta say.

Which ones are picking up steam? I own a majority of them and I figured most are worthless ($8-20)

On 9/1/2023 at 4:42 AM, Et-Es-Go said:

This.

They are very nice for what they are, and the interior paper at least gives them the feel of a proper comic book. But the covers are too juiced and the colors correspondingly a bit too strong. (The facsimile of Suspense #3 uses a flat, brilliant blue for the background for example.)

The ones that look the most convincing tend to have a lot of black in the cover image, such as the Punch #12. Thing! #13, #14, #15 - but even then, the razor sharp edges are a dead giveaway.

As for size, they are all the same, so some might correspond to the original proportions, but others will not.

Nor do they bend in the same way.

And so on...