• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 14
2 2

9 posts in this topic

That does not look to me like a normal spine split since there are actually pieces missing and it does not correlate with the rest of the books condition, bug/animal chew?

1 1/2" - 2" spine split at lower spine with pieces missing, goes through the entire book, blunted corners/edge wear with some color loss, denting on top edge, minor spine stress with creasing and a couple of spine ticks that barely break color, small tear/color breaking scratch at lower edge, slight spine roll, moderate dust/sun shadow on outer edge of rear cover, fold at the top left corner of rear cover.

IMO, without the spine split - FN 6.0

Since a book is graded on it's entirety and not just by its biggest defect, IMO, as the book sits right now - VG 4.0

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD)  May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book.

2.0 GOOD (GD) May have up to a 2" spine split.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG) May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2".

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG) Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN) A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. 

6.0 FINE (FN) A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, marvelmaniac said:

That does not look to me like a normal spine split since there are actually pieces missing and it does not correlate with the rest of the books condition, bug/animal chew?

1 1/2" - 2" spine split at lower spine with pieces missing, goes through the entire book, blunted corners/edge wear with some color loss, denting on top edge, minor spine stress with creasing and a couple of spine ticks that barely break color, small tear/color breaking scratch at lower edge, slight spine roll, moderate dust/sun shadow on outer edge of rear cover, fold at the top left corner of rear cover.

IMO, without the spine split - FN 6.0

Since a book is graded on it's entirety and not just by its biggest defect, IMO, as the book sits right now - VG 4.0

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD)  May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book.

2.0 GOOD (GD) May have up to a 2" spine split.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG) May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2".

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG) Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN) A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. 

6.0 FINE (FN) A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break.

Thanks very much for the detailed breakdown. That’s higher than I thought it might achieve so I’d be thrilled with a 4.0. I intend to send it in, so we shall see. Thanks again. 

On 8/25/2023 at 5:16 PM, 10centcomics said:

Yeah I can see VG if it were a simple spine split. The damage to the interior pages knocks it down to VG- or G/VG I think. Perhaps bug chew? Still a solid copy!

Thanks, I’ll report back once the book is back from CGC. Don’t know if it’s bug chew..pieces just seem torn/shredded.