• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2023 - October 12th - 15th - Javits Center - New York, NY.
3 3

148 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, TupennyConan said:

Looking forward to seeing all the usuals at this show. First time back in NYC since 2019. 

I’m only going to stop by after work on Thursday and see my cousin.  Stop by after work on Friday for a bit.  As of now I have to skip Saturday and then Sunday is up in the air.

With the limited time I will be there I have one priority.

“Greggy”

I suppose folks are following the NYC news. If not, keep up with it. Reports are that NYPD is prepping for the possibility of social unrest tomorrow.    

On 10/12/2023 at 9:56 AM, TupennyConan said:

I suppose folks are following the NYC news. If not, keep up with it. Reports are that NYPD is prepping for the possibility of social unrest tomorrow.    

Source? I didn't see anything on nytimes or nypost. Also, it's NYC: they're probably always prepping for social unrest lol.

I'm headed to NYCC on Sunday & would love to hear general experiences board members are having - good, bad or ugly! 

Edited by dbcn

On 10/12/2023 at 1:39 PM, dbcn said:

Source? I didn't see anything on nytimes or nypost. Also, it's NYC: they're probably always prepping for social unrest lol.

I'm headed to NYCC on Sunday & would love to hear general experiences board members are having - good, bad or ugly! 

https://abc7ny.com/israel-hamas-war-nyc-unrest-hate-crime-palestinian-rally/13901666/

If anyone plans on going and walks by the Topps Booth (# 3206) I’d offer a few dollars for your time to grab a Star Wars Card Trader promo code they are handing out at the booth. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 10/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, awakeintheashes said:

If anyone plans on going and walks by the Topps Booth (# 3206) I’d offer a few dollars for your time to grab a Star Wars Card Trader promo code they are handing out at the booth. 

I'll try for you tomorrow afternoon.  Not a big deal.  Wish I knew earlier.  Jaybuck and I were there until around 7pm and then we left.  

On 10/12/2023 at 10:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

I'll try for you tomorrow afternoon.  Not a big deal.  Wish I knew earlier.  Jaybuck and I were there until around 7pm and then we left.  

Thanks! Appreciate it, man. If not, no worries. Didn’t realize they were giving out codes until this afternoon. 

On 8/27/2023 at 7:21 AM, Buzzetta said:

I am pretty sure that NYCC has its own fan exchange for excess tickets. 

https://newyorkcomiccon.lyte.com/

If you do not see what you want there, I would not trust anything else but StubHub.  In all my years buying tickets on that platform I only had one problem and that issue was taken care of immediately by Stubhub which had my back and fully backed the ticket.  

I just had a serious issue with lyte. I was only able to purchased thur&sun.  I signed up with lyte to get Fri and sat.  I got the Friday in the mail, but they were still working on securing Sat.  Thurs morning at 0640 I received this email:  YOU'RE GOING TO THE NEW YORK COMIC CON. YOUR TICKETS HAVE BEEN SECIRED FOR NEW YORK COMIC CON 2023.  Great, right, then at 0850 I got this email: RESERVATION CANCELED.  WE CANCELED YOUR RESERVATION BECAUSE WE COULDN'T CHARGE YOU.

I have no idea what this means.  It's the same card used to purchase the Friday ticket,  checked my credit union and I have 3k in that account, if there's ever an issue my credit union sends me a text, email or call.  I received nothing from them so I have no idea what happened.  I spoke to will call for the comic con and they said they have nothing to do with lyte and that they had a booth there last year but not this time.  I'm guessing they were gettin a lot of negative feedback so they decided not to show up this year. 

A big problem with lyte is that they have no phone number.  The only way to contact them is either using the "BOT", which doesn't have a clue what any question it's being answered unless it's an easy simple answer like how do i return tickets, where do I pick up tickets and email, which I did and of course there was no response.  Being this is the comic con weekend you'd think they'd get back asap especially when it deals with ticket purchasing.  Personally I'm not happy with them

On 8/25/2023 at 6:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

First order of business was that Larry Hama announced that he was not invited this year and his panel was not approved.  GI Joe is at the highest popularity it's been in almost a decade with the classified line.  Amazon, Walmart, and Target are embracing the line.  Every single Haslab has made it into production which is something the Star Wars team cannot say, and Hama is no longer relevant as a guest or to host a panel?

On top of that, GI Joe is relaunching at Image Comics with issue 301 being written by Hama...  (shrug)

IMG_6636.jpeg

The comic world is too big and always expanding.  To think that any one person is too big to get bumped or not invited is not logical.  Momoko, Frison and a bunch of other new jacks r on the rise and new york comic con doesn't have unlimited space. Sh happens,  maybe next year

On 8/27/2023 at 7:21 AM, Buzzetta said:

I am pretty sure that NYCC has its own fan exchange for excess tickets. 

https://newyorkcomiccon.lyte.com/

If you do not see what you want there, I would not trust anything else but StubHub.  In all my years buying tickets on that platform I only had one problem and that issue was taken care of immediately by Stubhub which had my back and fully backed the ticket.  

What about the guys selling tickets outside.  Is that safe?  After lyte screwed me over why should I care about getting tickets from a scalper. Isn't that what lyte does just in a professional type way.  They're not selling at cost, lyte tickets r quadruple the cost.  How r they different from scalpers. I guess because they do it on line

On 9/5/2023 at 8:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

My usual words of advice... 

While we are at it... 

Certain city rules to consider for those unfamiliar with the subway. 

1. If the subway is crowded and you see a car that is mostly empty, there is a reason it is probably empty.   Eyes and ears open at all times.  For all you know the car is empty because a few people have turned it into their own campgrounds.
  2. Look before you sit.  Yes, I have seen people sit in someone else's feces stain.  Disgusting but true.  Our homeless sometimes cannot hold it in.  They release.  They wipe on the seats leaving a brown stain on the blue seats.  If the seat is discolored, stand.  
  3. If standing, look before you touch the bar.  There is nothing worse in the world than touching the support bar or anything else in the subway and then wondering why your hand is wet and then praying that it is water.  I stand. 
  4. When you get to your stop, walk out the doors... and keep walking.  Don't take a step out and then start to check your phone to see where you have to go next. There are others behind you trying to get off.  You will get shoved.  
  5. Do not pet any animals.  Yes, you read that right.  Do not pet any animals.  There are people that are crazy enough to bring their dogs on leashes on the subway during rush hour.  These poor animals are weirded out enough by all the new sights and smells.  They are tolerant and some do not want to be touched.  Don't put a dog in a situation where the dog is being a dog and snaps at you to keep away.  I've seen that and then they blame the dog which is sad.
  6. If you have anything of value keep it in your front pockets or securely in your bag.  Don't talk about high end deals or what others are spending. 
  7. Don't draw negative attention to yourself.  

New for 2023

1. There is absolutely nothing you need in to do in the very heart or crossroads of Times Square unless you are familiar with Times Square.   The place is not like it was when Disney first moved in especially in the evening.  We now have people doing burnouts and wheelies driving through crowds while some are intermingling amongst the crowds so they can take advantage of those who are unsuspecting.  
  2. Watch when crossing the street.  That goes doubly these days and look both ways even on one way streets.  Since last year the unlicensed scooter game has at least doubled.  NYPD is doing what they can having confiscated a flatbed truck's worth this summer but the place is swarming with them.  They can and will ignore traffic rules.  Saw another screw of dirt bikes and ATV's going at least 40mph on the Grand Central Parkway on Saturday night doing wheelies and weaving between traffic.  

Anyone want to add any others. 

They do that in Baltimore and DC also

On 9/10/2023 at 7:41 AM, Buzzetta said:

Want me to start taking pictures of what I see every day on my morning commute from Penn Station to Brooklyn?

I already take a bunch because my coworkers and I have a group chat to warn what to stay away from. 

• Wednesday at Penn Station there were two people at the Southbound A,C,E platform engaged in an intimate act under their blanket while another guy was urinating in the corner.  On the L train, a woman walked on at 8th in a city parks opportunity program uniform and just decided to lay down on the floor.  I posted her picture in the Water Cooler. 
  • Thursday there were two again doing drugs and injecting needles into their ankles on the platform by Penn on the Southbound platform by the A,C,E, line at 6:30am.  There were no incidents on the L Train.
  • Friday there were no incidents or anything to mention on the Southbound A,C,E, but I presume due to the heat, there was a naked homeless man laying across the benches on the 8th Ave L train stop. 

While I appreciate that your son may not have witnessed these things in his travels they readily occur on a daily basis and at all hours as I see the same stuff between 6:00 t0 7:30 am each morning that I see at 2:30 - 4:00 pm in my round trip commute.   I was even looking at last year's NYCC photos and remembered, (because I took a picture of her) the homeless prostitute on 34th between 8th and 9th sitting on a blanket soliciting for sex acts as con goers were walking toward the Javits. 

BTW, on one of the days, I found this guy waiting at the top of the Subway steps.   He may have lost his shoe, but he will not lose his drugs, as they are crumpled and tied around his wrist on a makeshift bracelet.    

Cue Alicia Keys... 

IMG_6808.jpeg

BAMB!  How bout that for an answer.  Maybe his son is the one who isn't saying anything because he doesn't wanna scare him

On 9/10/2023 at 2:27 AM, GrandInquisitor said:

I was going to be in Baltimore on a vacation this weekend but was derailed by family issues and I'm thinking about rescheduling everything and going to NYCC, but I'm not sure if it's worth it (it's pretty of a vacation, but still 12-14 hours away from home).

I'm really only into the comics side of cons and I don't really do much in terms of paying for pictures/autographs.

I'm just curious if those familiar with the show would consider it worth while to travel to as a part of an East Coast vacation.

I'm 40 minutes from balt, but never really go except for the con, but I do hear a lot of vendors talking about going out to eat.  I hear them say things about the good food at the different restaurants.  Same with the creators.  And unless ur allergic u can't beat steamed crabs baby.  That's maryland

On 9/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, the blob said:

When they aren't moving, like that, they are the least of my concerns. He's just taking a nap! At least he isn't taking up 5 seats on the subway. Admittedly, since blowing out my achilles two months ago I have not been commuting, but before that I'd probably see one crazy a day on my commute. Totally manageable! I take 2 trains each way into Manhattan. It's just not THAT bad. I go for walks during lunch (Wall Street area) and it is practically sterile. And in the last 15 years I have avoided sitting on the subway maybe twice due to mystery substances. I try to avoid holding the handrails (or wear a glove or have a paper towel) in the subway not for the reasons you suggest, but because non-homeless people are also disgusting, sneeze into their hands, half wipe it off on their pants, and then hold the handrail. Yuck. But yes, be ever vigilant. I do have eyes in the back of my head after so many years here, growing up in the heroin 70s and crack 80s/early 90s, so I don't have the terror of a suburbanite when i come here. Heck, my son's Long Island (Suffolk Co.) girlfriend's parents w**ke up to all their tires being slashed, bad stuff can even happen in the burbs! With that said, I live in a big Brooklyn house in a "diverse" neighborhood and aside from a couple of package thefts and one time someone stealing a pair of sunglasses out of a friend's unlocked car in my driveway, nothing in 17 years here. And some crazy neighbor dug up and stile some mums in the middle of the night. And sure, some middle aged well dressed white guy decided to sodomize himself in front of me at the end of my driveway on our fence post and take a selfie and run off giggling after I threatened to kill him. Pretty normal stuff. Aside from that I can't count how many times I've left the car unlocked accidentally or forgot to close a window and even left my keys in the front door! I did find the most polite homeless guy ever rummaging around on my porch once when someone left the front porch door open, he walked away with the shoes I was going to give to goodwill anyway. In sum, don't be afraid of NYC and if you are in the market for a pied a terre with 11 foot ceilings and incredible Hudson River views in a luxury doorman building on the Upper West Side give me a call.

Sneezing in hands and wiping it on pants. I do it all the time, What's wrong with that

On 9/11/2023 at 5:54 PM, dbcn said:

Question on in person signings: I'm planning on attending NYCC and have a few books I'd like to get signed by attending artists: Fiumara, Artgerm, Sienkiewicz, etc.

When I go to the CGC table to get a witness, can that person come to witness all of the signings of the different artists at once, or do I have to do it one at a time, ie, go with the witness to the Artgerm table, then return to the CGC table for paperwork or whatever, then go back to the Sienkiewicz table with the next books, etc. ? 

thx - this will be the 2nd con for me & my funko obsessed kiddo 👍

Get there asap or You'll b standing in a 2 hr line. They'll grab u along with others going to the same area to cut down on the time.  Hopefully tomorrow will b better.  1 hr upstairs to get 8 slabs cracked, the 2 more downstairs waiting for witnesses.  Then they kept leaving me because they were called off to do other things.  Was a bad day today, Thursday this 12th day of October