• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2023 - October 12th - 15th - Javits Center - New York, NY.
3 3

148 posts in this topic

Got 56 books CGCd. I seen that Jason Keith was there, not at a booth, but at a cosplay event at a pavilion section. I didn't get the chance to get over to wherever that was.  I wanted him on my Avengers 27 vol 8 Starbrand. Was able to get John's, Frank at thebsame table and Anderson a few booths down on my geiger 1 5th print, Sketch variant, geiger ground zero ashcan and the other to added onto my other Johns ashcan from Baltimore last month. 

Those were unplanned.  Johns signed them at the booth in balt so I just said what the hey and got it graded, then he was giving more away to each person at nycc, which I had no idea he would do, so I had to get the who was taking to money to charge me for 1 more sigs cause I didn't know.  He was a little frustrated but he hooked it up and I got Both frank and John's on that one also then from Anderson a few booths down.

Got some sigs on Investing in Each Other, which is a one shot from navy federal that no one paid attention to. Rachel Rosenberg, Jim zub and Todd Nauck all said this was the first book they've signed.  

Conan the barbarian 2099 1 Sliney variant, Batman 3 jokers 2, heroes reborn 1 artgerm virgin variant, SIKTC 1 8th and Jae Lee variant,  Batman 107 108 variants, UncannyX-Men 211, 285, marvel secret wars 8, a team 1, 2 Salicrup, Hulk annual 1 (2023), magnificent Ms marvel 1 babs tarr variant, Soule was the last needed on 2 Return of Wolverine variants.  More done.  Probably should've just posted photos of the invoices.  Just too excited and disappointed.  About 6 books r incompleted and 20 more I didn't even start because with the way Thursday was going I knew I wouldn't get them done. 

Over all I'm glad this is sh is over and nx year I'm planning better.   20 to 30 books and that's it. Getting my tickets whether I think I'm going or not because if u wait they will dissappear, but u will always be able to score them outside if push comes to shove.  That's how I got my Saturday ticket and it was 200, which was a lot less than lyte.  

I went yesterday and had a decent time, prly 9.0 or 9.2 overall.

Getting a witness from the CGC booth was huge hassle tbh - I got in line when we arrived around 11 for a witness, went out with a group of people around 11:40, finally got to the first artists I was looking for sigs on around 12:15, made it to the 2nd around 12:45 to find out she was only in her booth 1-3. At that point the witness had to be somewhere else and checked out, so my options were: try to enjoy the con, or get back in line, which was longer at that point than when we had arrived, so we opted to punt on the remaining signatures, walk around & check out the other floors. 

I had about 7 or 8 other books I was hoping to be witnessed/signed, but the prospect of waiting another hour in line for a witness and then have the artist maybe be there and maybe not just didn't seem worth it.

Also there were people queued up 3 deep at the end of the day trying to get the paperwork submitted, so in the end I think I did ok just getting my one artist signatures. It was my first time getting books signed myself, so maybe I just did it wrong.

There seemed to be an inverse relationship between interacting with the CGC and enjoying being at the con. I thought it was absolutely jammed - and from what I heard, yesterday was the 'calm' day - so I can't imagine trying to get any sigs Fri/Sat. We only had a total of about 6 hours to spend, a third of which was spent getting those initial signatures.

I don't know if I'd go again - and if I do, I won't bother with getting books signed myself - I'll happily pay a facilitator fee rather than deal with that again.

Fwiw, the books I did get signed I was very happy with; I bought 2 exclusives on the floor, unfortunately one had significant damage that I didn't notice in the moment - it was cool to see Mack, Maleev, Miller, Artgerm (surprisingly tall!), Claremont & Momoko in person, and the cosplay (KenPool and Barbie Quinn were amazing) around the rest of the con was great. 

On 10/16/2023 at 11:06 AM, 1Cool said:

Lack of photos and reviews doesn't bode well for this Con.

I've been going since 2006.  I missed last year.  This is the worst year I've seen yet.  VERY few dealers.  The show is now broken up into multiple places.  Downstairs is autographing and artist alley and main hall.  Upstairs is the main floor, split into two sections.  and then the 4th floor is panels and the second main stage (Empire Stage).  The show floor was 3/4s displays (Bandai, Dragon Ball, Topps, etc.).  You didn't really get to dealers until you got to level 3600.  There were more "stuff seller" than comic sellers.  No Dale, No Motor City Comics, lots of the major sellers weren't there.  Most people were walking around with blind boxes than comics or art purchases.  The con was probably super successful for reed pop, but its become a pop culture party and not a comic show.  

Sorry man, I was all over the place, my hands were full, kept goin in amd out of my bag while keeping up with the cgc group.  Nx time I'll only take 20 to 30 books instead of 56 and I'll get some pics.  I had way too many books

Sorry man, I was all over the place, my hands were full, kept goin in amd out of my bag while keeping up with the cgc group.  Nx time I'll only take 20 to 30 books instead of 56 and I'll get some pics.  I had way too many books

On 10/16/2023 at 12:42 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I've been going since 2006.  I missed last year.  This is the worst year I've seen yet.  VERY few dealers.  The show is now broken up into multiple places.  Downstairs is autographing and artist alley and main hall.  Upstairs is the main floor, split into two sections.  and then the 4th floor is panels and the second main stage (Empire Stage).  The show floor was 3/4s displays (Bandai, Dragon Ball, Topps, etc.).  You didn't really get to dealers until you got to level 3600.  There were more "stuff seller" than comic sellers.  No Dale, No Motor City Comics, lots of the major sellers weren't there.  Most people were walking around with blind boxes than comics or art purchases.  The con was probably super successful for reed pop, but its become a pop culture party and not a comic show.  

Which is fine but I'd think they would go the way of other shows and call it a fan expo or entertainment expo rather than a comic con.  I see a lot of people talking about the limited exclusives so that must have been where all the money was flooding towards.  Sad to hear another huge Con is basically making itself a non physical comic book show.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, 1Cool said:

Which is fine but I'd think they would go the way of other shows and call it a fan expo or entertainment expo rather than a comic con.  I see a lot of people talking about the limited exclusives so that must have been where all the money was flooding towards.  Sad to hear another huge Con is basically making itself a non physical comic book show.

Yup, the money was definitely more on cash grab exclusives and autographs than vintage comics and art.  It's a shame, I truly miss the old days.  Basically now it's HA/CL/and CC, no longer shows.  SDCC has been this way for a while and NYCC is there now too.   I was talking to Kevin Eastman and he didn't even bring his art rep or binder of art to sell.  All he was doing was sigs with remarks for $60 and sigs for $30.  Sold out all four days...

They need to have a section and cut comic dealers a break. Between the cost of tables, hotels, and parking in manhattan it must be a brute. I believe my last one was 2017 or 2018 and I've always been able to buy a ton of good stuff and find deals. But that was a while ago. As I had a weekend pass for the family usually I would have a shopping day on friday for myself, it would be wandering around with the kids on saturday (mainly not comics) and a mix of wandering around on sunday with the kids letting me do some comics the last few hours.

I am glad you said it.  There were multiple dealers who had setups that were worth stopping by like Reece, Storms, Harley and Superworld.  Notable setups also included Royal Collectables and Zapp as well as Absolute Comics and Kristinas Comics. 

Notable absences were Motor City, Dale, Torpedo and I do not recall seeing Midtown Comics.   Most notable absence of all was @greggy

Bechara was removed and more toward the back, having remarked that the guy that usually handles his account at NYCC was no longer working at Reed.  By the time they inquired to see if any progress was made most of the spots near other dealers were taken. 

Books seemed to sell though.  Metro reportedly sold a restored Tec 27 in 9.0.   Reeces seemed to do well and Storms said he was having a good show when we stopped by briefly on Friday. 

The Mystery Box game was in abundance though.  They were everywhere with half aisle setups in some cases. 

I do not mind getting a four day pass again and going next year if I do the same schedule of stopping by after work on Thursday and Friday, skipping Saturday and going Sunday.   

On 10/17/2023 at 4:40 AM, Buzzetta said:

I am glad you said it.  There were multiple dealers who had setups that were worth stopping by like Reece, Storms, Harley and Superworld.  Notable setups also included Royal Collectables and Zapp as well as Absolute Comics and Kristinas Comics. 

Notable absences were Motor City, Dale, Torpedo and I do not recall seeing Midtown Comics.   Most notable absence of all was @greggy

Bechara was removed and more toward the back, having remarked that the guy that usually handles his account at NYCC was no longer working at Reed.  By the time they inquired to see if any progress was made most of the spots near other dealers were taken. 

Books seemed to sell though.  Metro reportedly sold a restored Tec 27 in 9.0.   Reeces seemed to do well and Storms said he was having a good show when we stopped by briefly on Friday. 

The Mystery Box game was in abundance though.  They were everywhere with half aisle setups in some cases. 

I do not mind getting a four day pass again and going next year if I do the same schedule of stopping by after work on Thursday and Friday, skipping Saturday and going Sunday.   

Midtown has been gone for a while, pretty sure the last time they were there was pre-covid.  It's a noticeable absence since they are literally based right there.  But I can only imagine what they were spending on their setup especially when their store is RIGHT there, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who come for the show will just pop in while in town.  

On 10/17/2023 at 8:02 AM, blazingbob said:

I wish posters would stop bad mouthing a show just because there are NO pictures or commentary.  If you are looking for some "real" information talk to someone who you know very well that did or does the show and base their impression on what they are looking for.    

Believe it or not there was a lot of Golden age at the show.  

There was actually some keys that dealers could sell closer to GPA as we work through the Covid price hangover.  

There were actually sweetspots of price points that did very well.

Dumpster divers could actually do well also.

My sales were ok to good,  buying was good.

Traffic was good,  there were definitely some booth placement issues due to a Reed Sales rep leaving.

Load in went surprising well,  I have no idea how load out went since I never base it on how I get out of the show.  

This show is long,  stressful and very very hard work doing.  It is 6 days 15 - 16 hour long days.  

I'm glad you had a good show Bob, I know you guys worked hard and deserve it.  

On 10/17/2023 at 5:02 AM, blazingbob said:

I wish posters would stop bad mouthing a show just because there are NO pictures or commentary.  If you are looking for some "real" information talk to someone who you know very well that did or does the show and base their impression on what they are looking for.    

Believe it or not there was a lot of Golden age at the show.  

There was actually some keys that dealers could sell closer to GPA as we work through the Covid price hangover.  

There were actually sweetspots of price points that did very well.

Dumpster divers could actually do well also.

My sales were ok to good,  buying was good.

Traffic was good,  there were definitely some booth placement issues due to a Reed Sales rep leaving.

Load in went surprising well,  I have no idea how load out went since I never base it on how I get out of the show.  

This show is long,  stressful and very very hard work doing.  It is 6 days 15 - 16 hour long days.  

thanks for the report! my joke that the show probably didnt take place because no one posted pics is certainly not bad mouthing. its a facetious attempt at encouraging more pics and reports from attendees and dealers. i hope you made some nice purchases there and made some coin too bob.