• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2023 - October 12th - 15th - Javits Center - New York, NY.
3 3

148 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, juniorMC said:

The wifi is good in the morning, but gets worse as the day goes on.  I paid for a Jae Lee sig with paypal.  Took a few minutes, bit when I came back the next morning it went right through

The higher you go up in the building the better the signal you get.  In the basement I could not even connect to my cell data, but when I went up to some panels upstairs I was getting 5g

On 10/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So in terms of comic buys, was this show actually worthwhile given the high cost/hassle associated with getting into the show?

from what I’ve read, it sounds very frustrating and disappointing 

Show wise? 

It depends.  I was closed out of any panels or presentations that I wanted to go to.  The text below is from a friend of mine who was only going Thursday.  His remarks were about the Crochet 101 class.  There were other sessions that were similar to this and then when you hear that Larry Hama was turned down for his seminar and not invited as an artist, it does cause you to shake your head.   Is it really necessary or interesting to make space for video game support groups if you cannot get past a certain level on your gaming device?  There were a couple of people that I personally know that suggested some panels that were turned down by Reed.   It's a shame, I truly believe that some would have really liked that more than the video game support group. 

As far as books?

Like I said, Bob seemed to be selling stuff when I passed by a few times, as was Anthony Snyder, and the Reeces.  Metro supposedly sold the restored Tec 27 in 9.0.  There were books selling.  Don't be soured though on the accounts of a few of us though.  I looked at a book I was interested in but I am at a point where I cannot justify spending certain money just to upgrade a book I have by .5 of a grade.   I pulled out my list on a few books that I am looking to upgrade.   There are two books I was looking to make a stronger upgrade of but no one had them in stock.   Checked with Reece, Harley, Bob, and a few others.   Yes I looked at the websites as well.  No one has them. 

WiFi was horrendous.  I do not know how the dealers do it.  I carry cash on me at most times as electronic transfers have had a history of being spotty the years whenever I tried to conduct business with them, so I just carry cash.   I actually wound up buying some "stuff" this week I had my eye on while on the train.  Everything pretty much arrived today.   So what did I spend my money on last week?  In my comings and goings and shopping on the train for other things, I picked up a bunch of stuff. 

Picked up the homage to one of the more fun Pirates Set, El Dorado Fortress reissued from the 80's along with the Pirate Island Gift with Purchase.  It might be time to swap out the Lego A Frame house that sits on the table in my office. I picked up the already seen two pieces of art.  GI Joe Classified Tunnel Rat and Firefly, Walt Disney Comics and Stories 76, Strange Adventures 93, and the copy of Joe 275 that the art was from.  I picked up a Tumbler to support JayDee Rosario's Unstoppable Comics that says, New York vs the World. (Check it out - it's a comic fan that is doing his own publishing company and toys), two Dumpster Fire Vinyl Figurines with one of them being the con exclusive and exclusive pin, Gentle Giant Droid Factory R2-D2 Jumbo that was supposedly sold out everywhere else, a Snake Eyes and Stormshadow figure that I wanted back in my collection and a Star Wars Bartender Droid, as well as the Target Luke arrived as well as another Vintage Figure that I found at a good price at the show.   Will show off some stuff in the Plastic Crack thread.

I spent around $1300 maybe a little more.  

It is interesting to me as to what vendors are making enough money to justify more space.  Does anyone know how much Reed is asking for a three table length setup is on the corner with a wraparound table?  I was amazed that the bootleg Lego figure people in the back of aisle 3800 took that much space this year.     Keep in mind that these are not authentic Lego people but imported bootlegs made of noticeably cheaper material and in some cases, 'off print'.   They were 5 figures for $20.  Last year people were throwing money at them.  This year, even with a larger footprint, they were like a bar on St. Patrick's Day often boasting three people deep trying to purchase things.  To justify that table, that is a lot of minifigures that need to be sold and they seemed to do it. 

We might be poking fun at mystery boxes but let's be honest.  The footprint continues to grow for them.  People would not be purchasing the retail space on the floor of the Javits if they were not selling.  For those that did not attend the show, there is no exaggeration from the online accounts that they were everywhere.  On Sunday, it seemed to be a great "kid" gift to give a kid where they are getting a themed mystery box of surprised.  However, we also saw a lot of adults buying them.  There were various kinds and themes and even trading stations.   That was interesting to me.  It was not something I was going to buy but it was interesting to me. 

Screenshot2023-10-19at4_22_13PM.png.fb27975a6731f8a569cb19bf25d29321.png IMG_7535.thumb.jpeg.a3d735bdde95c90d3e569f5efa48edf7.jpeg

On 10/19/2023 at 4:22 PM, Kevin76 said:

It's unfortune nowadays that a lot of people just go to the show to simply get their books they bought online, to the show to get signed. They get some autographs, a print and/or toys, a t-shirt, food and then they are out of money. Its how it is now for a majority of those that attend.  

I think we're all forgetting that there r many aspects of the comic con and here on the cgc chat board you will mostly find the comic sigs people because this is a cgc forum.  Many con goers aren't familiar with cgc like the boardies

On 10/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So in terms of comic buys, was this show actually worthwhile given the high cost/hassle associated with getting into the show?

from what I’ve read, it sounds very frustrating and disappointing 

Greggy missed this show and he doesn't miss many big shows.  Take that what you will.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:27 AM, workingdog said:

FYI ...

Comic Creators Coming Down With Covid After NYCC

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comic-creators-coming-down-with-covid-after-nycc/

:facepalm: “But at least it won’t kill you”

That is a lot of folks. And how many others got it we don’t know about? I know 5 people who picked it up in Bmore. One had to be in the hospital.

I just got my shot but will be wearing a mask to shows for the next few months. I don’t want to get sick at all.

Amazing how many clueless folks are out there, or worse, don’t even care. Lousy times we live in nowadays…

Forgot 2 more.

Iban Coello was $25 for cgc and Whilce Portacio was $70 for cgc.  Sinclair was right nx to him.  I commented to Sinclair "Portacio is chargin $70, no way in hell".  He kinda shrugged his shoulders. Wasn't expecting any comment, just wanted to make it known that there is a limit. I got about 4 sigs from Sinclair that weekend

Edited by juniorMC