• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undervalued Bronze Age ASM issues?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2023 at 11:31 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Recently, I noticed just how many ASM issues in the late 100's and early 200's have broken from the pack in the OPG and are now commanding more than surrounding issues.  It's a pretty incredible list of books and it got me to thinking about some of the other issues that may need to break out from the Bronze Age pack.  I'd like to share my list, and I hope you will share yours.

My top 3 as follows:

1. ASM 204/205.  The 3rd and 4th appearances of the Black Cat, with 205 being the 1st Romita Jr art on the title, I believe.  Overstreet lists them at $20 each in NM- 9.2.  By comparison, ASM 226/227 feature the return of the Black Cat and list for nearly double, $38 each.  Why?  the stories in 204/205 and just as good as 226/227 and they are available in equal quantities.  Most recent GPA sales for ASM 204/205 in 9.8 is $400 and $275, respectively.  By comparison, most recent GPA sales for ASM 226/227 in 9.8 is $190 and $158, respectfully.  All sales occurred within the past two months.  Similar results where sales for ASM 204/205 in 9.2 fetched more than ASM 226/227 can be found on GPA.
  2. ASM Annual 13.  While there is usually less interest from collectors for annuals, there is no doubt that ASM Annual 13 needs to break out from its current grouping of ASM Ann 11-13 = $28 in OPG.  Annual 11 really has nothing going for it, while Annual 12 is a reprint of ASM 119 and 120.  However, ASM Ann 13 contains a killer, brand-new Spidey vs Doc Ock story illustrated by Byrne and Austin at their peak (same time they were on their ground-breaking Uncanny X-Men run), its the first time Spidey rips out one of Doc Ock's tentacles from his body, and its part 1 of a two part story that concludes in Spec Spidey Annual #1.  Not as easy to find in high grade as it used to be.
  3. ASM 216.  With Madam Web's recent rise to fame in the Spider-verse, we've seen her 1st appearance in ASM #210 sky rocket in price, and its safe to say that she'll be a fixture in the Spider-verse for a while longer.  So ASM #210 may have already become unaffordable to some, but her second appearance, in ASM 216, should still be affordable...for now.

Thoughts?

Nice, well laid out analysis.

Couldn't agree with you more on ASM Annual 13.  I haven't looked a prices in a decade, but always assumed this issue would command a little more.  That JB art is nice.

Idk how the flat top character would go lol it always reminded me of MR. Tracy, but that whole asm run from about 105 to 135 has been minabke for a while.

I forget which issue but there is shin shin female character that eventually dates Eddie Brock. With the 1st venom movie, I never researched if that was her or not, but idk.

Midmworm maybe or will o wisp.

I thought the faked death of aunt may might have hit at some point but idk how they'd work it in now @jjonahjameson11

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

ASM 216.  With Madam Web's recent rise to fame in the Spider-verse, we've seen her 1st appearance in ASM #210 sky rocket in price, and its safe to say that she'll be a fixture in the Spider-verse for a while longer.  So ASM #210 may have already become unaffordable to some, but her second appearance, in ASM 216, should still be affordable...for now.

Thoughts?

IMO Madam Web is a nothing that would make Blue Beetle look popular to the general public. No one cared about that character before, no one other than speculators cares now, & no one is gonna care in the future. Even assuming *if* a MW movie even gets released, it's gonna be Morbius-level, fodder for youtubers to make money by making fun of it, nothing more. I would avoid it like the plague, like anything coming from the non-animated/non-Miles/Gwen side of Sony that's like "we wish we could even Spider-Man".

Make money while you can, sure, but this will be like how Morbius comics OMG spiked!! for a bit, but now...?  JMO.

On 8/28/2023 at 10:56 PM, RobAnybody said:

IMO Madam Web is a nothing that would make Blue Beetle look popular to the general public. No one cared about that character before, no one other than speculators cares now, & no one is gonna care in the future. Even assuming *if* a MW movie even gets released, it's gonna be Morbius-level, fodder for youtubers to make money by making fun of it, nothing more. I would avoid it like the plague, like anything coming from the non-animated/non-Miles/Gwen side of Sony that's like "we wish we could even Spider-Man".

Make money while you can, sure, but this will be like how Morbius comics OMG spiked!! for a bit, but now...?  JMO.

I think her movie will be delayed due to the writer’s strike, but it’s definitely in the works.

regardless, even if the movie is a flop and we never see her on the big screen or small screen, ASM 210 will always be worth more than prior to the movie hype.  That’s just the way things go.

so again, I think 216 has some room to break out from surrounding issues

Edited by jjonahjameson11

Title says undervalued Bronze ASM's but 1st post seem to indicate it's not about that but refers to OPG. Is the topic actually  Bronze Age ASM that OPG should break out from the pack? If yes then my question is; does OPG have relevance anymore other than as a dated reference guide for those over 50.

Edited by MAR1979

1. ASM Annual 13.  While there is usually less interest from collectors for annuals,

Curiously, out of about 50 nice late bronze, early copper X-Men issues I put on ebay recently, the best sellers seem to be the annuals.  They deserve more respect! :sumo:

On 9/3/2023 at 12:07 AM, NP_Gresham said:

The tough books in high grade are #165 Whitman and #184 no price with sticker.

OSP is clueless on how impossible these books are in 9.0/9.2

They would be the only books close to being “under-valued”

I traded my ASM 184 no price (All Detergent variant) with sticker for some original art work several years back.  I sold that art work for $2200 a few years later and thought I made a good deal on the trade.  The new owner of the ASM 184 had it graded and it came back CGC 8.0.  I believe this is the highest graded sticker copy.  So, I do wonder did I get the great deal that I had thought I did?  hm

On 9/7/2023 at 8:33 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I traded my ASM 184 no price (All Detergent variant) with sticker for some original art work several years back.  I sold that art work for $2200 a few years later and thought I made a good deal on the trade.  The new owner of the ASM 184 had it graded and it came back CGC 8.0.  I believe this is the highest graded sticker copy.  So, I do wonder did I get the great deal that I had thought I did?  hm

I vaguely recall a PGX 9.2 with sticker selling on the bay a couple of years ago, That of course is a huge Krapshoot as it could be anything with that label, still gives me hope that 8.0 is not the ceiling on the stickered variant. I think you did quite well. Always wanted a piece of original art. 
What was the artwork? Was it comic related?

On 9/7/2023 at 12:13 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I vaguely recall a PGX 9.2 with sticker selling on the bay a couple of years ago, That of course is a huge Krapshoot as it could be anything with that label, still gives me hope that 8.0 is not the ceiling on the stickered variant. I think you did quite well. Always wanted a piece of original art. 
What was the artwork? Was it comic related?

LOL, incredibly sore spot for me.  It was a page from ASM 145 by Ross Andru, a much cherished issue I bought off the stands.  I would never in a billion years sell it had I still owned it today.  I would find another way to come up with the money I needed.

Recently, I noticed just how many ASM issues in the late 100's and early 200's have broken from the pack in the OPG and are now commanding more than surrounding issues.  It's a pretty incredible list of books and it got me to thinking about some of the other issues that may need to break out from the Bronze Age pack.  I'd like to share my list, and I hope you will share yours.

My top 3 as follows:

1. ASM 204/205.  The 3rd and 4th appearances of the Black Cat, with 205 being the 1st Romita Jr art on the title, I believe.  Overstreet lists them at $20 each in NM- 9.2.  By comparison, ASM 226/227 feature the return of the Black Cat and list for nearly double, $38 each.  Why?  the stories in 204/205 and just as good as 226/227 and they are available in equal quantities.  Most recent GPA sales for ASM 204/205 in 9.8 is $400 and $275, respectively.  By comparison, most recent GPA sales for ASM 226/227 in 9.8 is $190 and $158, respectfully.  All sales occurred within the past two months.  Similar results where sales for ASM 204/205 in 9.2 fetched more than ASM 226/227 can be found on GPA.
  2. ASM Annual 13.  While there is usually less interest from collectors for annuals, there is no doubt that ASM Annual 13 needs to break out from its current grouping of ASM Ann 11-13 = $28 in OPG.  Annual 11 really has nothing going for it, while Annual 12 is a reprint of ASM 119 and 120.  However, ASM Ann 13 contains a killer, brand-new Spidey vs Doc Ock story illustrated by Byrne and Austin at their peak (same time they were on their ground-breaking Uncanny X-Men run), its the first time Spidey rips out one of Doc Ock's tentacles from his body, and its part 1 of a two part story that concludes in Spec Spidey Annual #1.  Not as easy to find in high grade as it used to be.
  3. ASM 216.  With Madam Web's recent rise to fame in the Spider-verse, we've seen her 1st appearance in ASM #210 sky rocket in price, and its safe to say that she'll be a fixture in the Spider-verse for a while longer.  So ASM #210 may have already become unaffordable to some, but her second appearance, in ASM 216, should still be affordable...for now.

Thoughts?

Agree on 204/205, but 195 has been overlooked a long time too, maybe bumped a little lately. ASM 172, 1st Rocket Racer as well. And 135. And I know 135 is not a cheap book, but you can still get a decent copy for under $50 if you try hard enough. Ionic cover, etc. if you are priced out of 129.

On 9/15/2023 at 1:21 PM, the blob said:

Agree on 204/205, but 195 has been overlooked a long time too, maybe bumped a little lately. ASM 172, 1st Rocket Racer as well. And 135. And I know 135 is not a cheap book, but you can still get a decent copy for under $50 if you try hard enough. Ionic cover, etc. if you are priced out of 129.

Agree with you on the ASM 195, an overlooked book featuring the Black Cat’s origin.

135 - seems as though it was stalled in value for over a decade, but in 9.6 and up, it’s a tough book to find

On 9/19/2023 at 11:16 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Agree with you on the ASM 195, an overlooked book featuring the Black Cat’s origin.

135 - seems as though it was stalled in value for over a decade, but in 9.6 and up, it’s a tough book to find

Yes, high grade on 135 is spensive, I'm just thinking from a collector's standpoint looking for a BA semi-key within a low budget, you can get a presentable copy for not THAT much. And I have always liked the cover. Will that VG/Fine copy appreciate? I dunno, but let's face it, not that long ago a 5.0 (raw) copy of 129 was like $50-60 if you went to a shop pricing by OPG. It was 2-3X much on ebay. I made 3 flips of 129 buying it at guide from shops and then here or on ebay. Wish I had kept them.

Edited by the blob