• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The X-men: Deadly Genesis Mystery Villains is...(speculation/possible spoiler)

116 posts in this topic

I mean, that's like stopping TV watching in 1990 and then turning on the TV today and being mad cause the shows aren't the same as The Wonder Years.

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gifthumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif That was awesome. Why didn't I see that before.

And the comparison couldn't be farther off if you triend. As I stated earlier:

Not at all, it's actually like turning on the TV and seeing "Wonder Years 2" where they retcon Kevin and Paul into having a hidden homosexual relationship, Winnie is sleeping with Mr and Mrs Arnold, Wayne is a serial killer, and Winnie's brother (who died in Viet Nam) comes back as a bad guy.

That's Marvel comics in 2006.

I've waited to see if anyone else wanted to point out actual events, but they haven't so here we go.

The New Wonder Years aka 2006 TV... Kevin of Wonder Years is on a new sitcom called "crumbs" where he IS GAY. This week's episode had him teamed up with some other previous saturday night must see TV actor from the 90s(can't remember his name).

And I think that the last year or so Winnie came out of acting limbo and portrayed a hooker or some other type of wayward gal.

I don't know about the rest of the crew....and maybe I'm afraid to know too..... makepoint.gif

lol, this is true. The chick who played Winnie got her degree in mathematics but has come back to acting. Even acted in a low budge Sci-Fi channel movie "Locusts".

Anyway my point had been that JC has continuously stated he no longer buys/reads moderns and continuously says [embarrassing lack of self control] about the story lines by pointing out one or two he doesn't like and says "Look all moderns are bad" which is just BS. He acts as if the only good stories were written before 1989. So why do you even post in this area? Why do you even care now since you don't even buy them and/or read them? I would think most people would only stick to what they like. I mean, I don't go to the GA area since I don't know and don't care much about them. Just doesn't make sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

The New Wonder Years aka 2006 TV... Kevin of Wonder Years is on a new sitcom called "crumbs" where he IS GAY. This week's episode had him teamed up with some other previous saturday night must see TV actor from the 90s(can't remember his name).

And I think that the last year or so Winnie came out of acting limbo and portrayed a hooker or some other type of wayward gal.

I don't know about the rest of the crew....and maybe I'm afraid to know too..... makepoint.gif

And Hugh Jackman sings dance tunes on Broadway, Patrick Stewart is Bambi's dad, and Tobey Maguire rode a horse during the Depression... your point?

It's a shame about Gwen, but the story wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility, was it?

Actually it was, since at no point is there a shred of evidence pointing to such a thing ever happening, and we're talking logistically with the timeline and pregnancy. To make this kind of thing work, you need the "aha" factor, like Spidey never actually reading Dr Connor's "clone notes" from ASM 150 - something that at least opens the door to the possiblity such a bizarre thing may have occured.

There is nothing to support it in Gwen's case and it isn't a "sacred character" deal, but something that makes absolutely no sense when you read all the comics. Pure unadulterated BS right up there with bringing Norman Osborne back to life. 27_laughing.gif

At least in the X-Men's case, both Prof X and the X-Men were "offline" for months and it could be conjectured that this type of retcon might have happened. Still pretty hazy to be sure, but not out of the realm of possibility like Gwen banging Norman and popping out twins without anyone noticing.

It's a shame about Gwen, but the story wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility, was it?

Actually it was, since at no point is there a shred of evidence pointing to such a thing ever happening, and we're talking logistically with the timeline and pregnancy. To make this kind of thing work, you need the "aha" factor, like Spidey never actually reading Dr Connor's "clone notes" from ASM 150 - something that at least opens the door to the possiblity such a bizarre thing may have occured.

There is nothing to support it in Gwen's case and it isn't a "sacred character" deal, but something that makes absolutely no sense when you read all the comics. Pure unadulterated BS right up there with bringing Norman Osborne back to life. 27_laughing.gif

At least in the X-Men's case, both Prof X and the X-Men were "offline" for months and it could be conjectured that this type of retcon might have happened. Still pretty hazy to be sure, but not out of the realm of possibility like Gwen banging Norman and popping out twins without anyone noticing.

Fair enough. thumbsup2.gif

Be sure to report back if/when you read "Deadly Genesis"!

And Hugh Jackman sings dance tunes on Broadway, Patrick Stewart is Bambi's dad, and Tobey Maguire rode a horse during the Depression... your point?

Just pointing out how close your speculation is to actual life(or unreal life as far as TV goes) in this case.

Also I think I've got your new tag line.....instead of "I don't read moderns" as you frequently have stated...since we now know that you do read new TPBs and read moderns through what other means you were referencing earlier(flipping through the books at stores?). Why don't you just say that..."You don't collect moderns, but can't resist the urge to occasionally pick up an issue and browse through it"

Not as catchy as your usual...but maybe more accurate.

Hey JC, I'm going to let you in on a little fact. Now this may shock you.

COMICS ARE FICTION. Fiction is an imaginative creation that does not represent reality. Another definition of fiction is literally "A lie." Writers of comic books are under no obligation to follow any kind of timeline or reality. All they need to do is present the editor with great ideas for FICTIONAL EVENTS.

COMICS ARE FICTION. Fiction is an imaginative creation that does not represent reality. Another definition of fiction is literally "A lie." Writers of comic books are under no obligation to follow any kind of timeline or reality. All they need to do is present the editor with great ideas for FICTIONAL EVENTS.

It's true. They are. But, most GOOD fiction is crafted in such a way that you don't realize you're being lied to.

It's true. They are. But, most GOOD fiction is crafted in such a way that you don't realize you're being lied to.

or you realise it and don't care.

Exactly. You can't suspend disbelief in a story that a 2-year old can see the plotholes in.

Looking at the latest issue and the backup story this may not have been a team prior to the original X-men team. At the end of the backup story Moira McTaggert is talking to the girl that can stop time and says, "I'm here to help you. A colleague and I have an institute to help kids like you. Have you heard of the X-men?" Now, the tape Banshee was transporting was messed up so you only see/hear part where she says Prof X is a [embarrassing lack of self control] and he killed all the "kids". You'll have to take this as similar to the tape of Jean Grey saying there was a traitor in the X-men. It was only a part of the message so it was ambiguious (intentionally of course) So all of this arguement is a moot point. At best we can guess that Prof X sent a team in to save the originals prior to the team in Giant X-men #1. That's a possibility and not a retcon at all IMHO. Kind of like the series Untold Stories of Spidey or Prof X and the X-men, or X-men: The Hidden Years. A story that could have easily taken place within continuity that is interwoven between different moments of the original story.

That's a possibility and not a retcon at all IMHO.

Of course it would be a retcon. It would change the New X-Men history, not to mention everything that Prof X did and stood for at that point in time. The story, if they go that route, would create a retroactive continuity, just not as harsh as the stupid "Bucky Lives" or "Norman Osborne's been in Europe for 30+ years" hogwash.

I think you're just discerning between a good or bad retcon, i.e. one that makes sense vs, Gwen sleeping with Norman Osborne and popping out twins.

Of course it would be a retcon. It would change the New X-Men history, not to mention everything that Prof X did and stood for at that point in time. The story, if they go that route, would create a retroactive continuity, just not as harsh as the stupid "Bucky Lives" or "Norman Osborne's been in Europe for 30+ years" hogwash.

I think you're just discerning between a good or bad retcon, i.e. one that makes sense vs, Gwen sleeping with Norman Osborne and popping out twins.

As much as it pains me to say it, the "Bucky Lives" story has been excellent and is worth a read.

Still with ya on the Gwen Stacy [embarrassing lack of self control] though... thumbsup2.gif

As much as it pains me to say it, the "Bucky Lives" story has been excellent and is worth a read.

Still with ya on the Gwen Stacy [embarrassing lack of self control] though... thumbsup2.gif

Oh my ....... I'm agreeing with drice on something. The Bucky Returns story has been excellent. I believe any story can be excellent with the right writer involved. If a better writer had done the Stacy twins arc in ASM, like a Brubaker, I believe a lot more people would have enjoyed it. I am with the crowd in that JMS is not a great writer.

If a better writer had done the Stacy twins arc in ASM, like a Brubaker, I believe a lot more people would have enjoyed it.

But a better writer probably would never have even thought up such a stupid storyline. It takes a true hack to churn out drek like that.

If a better writer had done the Stacy twins arc in ASM, like a Brubaker, I believe a lot more people would have enjoyed it.

But a better writer probably would never have even thought up such a stupid storyline. It takes a true hack to churn out drek like that.

Too True thumbsup2.gif