• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion on Artificial Intelligence and how it's going to affect our industry.
3 3

255 posts in this topic

This discussion is happening in the movie section because of the Writer's strike. It has upended that industry. 

The strike, JUST THE STRIKE, is causing companies to fold, artists to leave the industry and people leaving Hollywood. That's how bad JUST THE STRIKE is affecting the industry. It's utter mayhem (I know many people employed in the industry). 

Many of these artists couldn't afford a 3 month strike. 

Now, what is MOST interesting about this strike is that it is becoming apparent that 

a) the movie companies are stalling, meaning it better suits them to prolong the strike and starve out the artists, whose contracts all expire eventually....

and 

b) the movie companies have been aggressively pursuing AI behind the scenes in a much more aggressive fashion than previously realized. 

------------------------------

This of course leads me to the conclusion that the writing is on the wall. This is the Death Knell for this particular industry.

The artists know it hence one last ditch effort to protect their jobs, and the Corporations know it because they know it's inevitable that AI will dominate the creation of projects and so they have everything to gain by stalling. 

This leads me to my next question:

How will this affect our comic book industry?

Let me share with you something a friend of mine did. He has ZERO artistic ability. Like, he jokes around that he has trouble drawing stick figures. 

But he is an award winning Horror novelist....that was until he decided to learn how to use AI and now he has turned his novel into a Graphic Novel and it immediately topped charts on Amazon. 

So this breaks open an incredibly important discussion about where we are headed. 

What are everyone's thoughts?

AI has the potential to significantly impact the comic book industry in various ways:

1. Artistic Assistance: AI-powered tools can assist artists and illustrators in creating comic book art. These tools can generate backgrounds, character designs, and even help with coloring, making the production process faster and more efficient.

2. Content Creation: AI algorithms can generate story ideas, plotlines, and even dialogue. This can be useful for writers who might be facing creative blocks or looking for inspiration. However, it's important to note that AI-generated content may lack the depth and emotional resonance of human-created stories.

3. Personalized Comics: AI can be used to personalize comic book content for readers. Based on a reader's preferences and history, AI algorithms can recommend specific comics, genres, or storylines, enhancing the reader's experience.

4. Accessibility: AI can make comics more accessible to individuals with disabilities. Text-to-speech and image recognition technologies can help convert comic book content into audio or text formats, making it available to a broader audience.

5. Distribution and Marketing: AI-powered algorithms can analyze market trends and reader preferences to optimize distribution and marketing strategies. This can help publishers target their audience more effectively and predict which comics are likely to perform well.

6. Content Curation: AI-driven recommendation systems can curate collections of comics tailored to a reader's taste, introducing them to new series or characters they might enjoy.

7. Adaptive Storytelling: AI can enable interactive and adaptive storytelling in comics. Readers could have choices that influence the plot's direction, similar to choose-your-own-adventure books, creating a more engaging and personalized reading experience.

8. Cost Reduction: AI-driven automation can reduce the costs associated with comic book production, making it more economically viable for independent creators and small publishers to enter the industry.

However, there are also challenges and concerns:

1. Creativity and Authenticity: AI-generated content may lack the emotional depth, creativity, and authenticity that human creators bring to comics. Readers may prefer the unique perspectives and styles of human authors and artists.

2. Job Displacement: As AI takes on certain tasks in comic book creation, there could be concerns about job displacement for artists, writers, and other creative professionals.

3. Quality Control: AI-generated content may require careful quality control to ensure it meets the standards expected in the industry.

4. Copyright and Ownership: There may be legal and ethical issues surrounding the ownership of AI-generated characters and stories, as well as concerns about plagiarism.

In summary, AI has the potential to enhance various aspects of the comic book industry, from production to distribution and personalization. However, it's important to strike a balance between AI-driven automation and the creative input of human artists and writers to maintain the unique and artistic qualities that make comics a beloved form of storytelling.

That was my tongue-in-cheek, ChatGPT generated answer. My real answer is that there could be breakthroughs that would absolutely adversely affect creatives, but at the same time could be seen as desirable to us as content consumers. Some in the entertainment industry have postulated a world in which a consumer could enter a prompt like, "Create a movie set in the Marvel and Star Wars Universes, using all of the characters from previously released movies, where I am the main character and need to help the Avengers and the Rebels battle Thanos and Darth Vader," and AI could make such significant advances that it would create that movie using likenesses of your favorite actors across the spectrum of those movies.

Obviously we're nowhere near that now, but it's not that far-fetched to imagine advancements in technology that would make that possible. Looking at your friend's examples you posted above, you can see how the tech would be concerning to artists.

Even just playing with the publicly available instance of ChatGPT, you can make it do some crazy things from a writing standpoint too - here's a scene between Thanos and Darth Vader, where they argue over universal domination (by the way, it took about 20 seconds for it to spit this out):

-----

INT. INTERGALACTIC THRONE ROOM - EERIE AMBIANCE

The room is shrouded in darkness, illuminated only by the faint glow of distant stars through massive windows. At the far end of the room, THANOS, the Mad Titan, sits upon a colossal obsidian throne, his eyes burning with an eerie purple light. Opposite him, DARTH VADER, the Dark Lord of the Sith, stands with an aura of malevolence, his black cape billowing.

THANOS: (grinning) Ah, Darth Vader, the Sith Lord. What brings you to my domain?

DARTH VADER: (deep, mechanical voice) Thanos, your ambition knows no bounds. The universe is mine to command, not yours.

Thanos rises from his throne, towering over Vader with a sinister grin.

THANOS: (booming voice) Your galaxy is a mere speck compared to the vastness of the cosmos. I seek to bring balance to it all.

DARTH VADER: (raising his lightsaber) Balance? Your quest for balance is nothing more than an excuse for genocide.

THANOS: (calmly) Genocide, you say? It's a small price to pay for salvation. With the snap of my fingers, I could erase half of all life in the universe, sparing it from suffering and overpopulation.

DARTH VADER: (clenching his fist) Your arrogance blinds you, Titan. Power should be used to control, to shape the galaxy in one's image.

Thanos chuckles darkly and extends his armored hand, revealing the Infinity Gauntlet studded with gleaming gems.

THANOS: (waving his fingers) And what is this, if not power to shape the universe? With these Infinity Stones, I can rewrite reality itself.

DARTH VADER: (igniting his lightsaber) Your Stones and your ambitions are irrelevant. The dark side of the Force is the true path to dominion. It bends life and death to my will.

Thanos clenches his fist, and the room trembles as he summons an ethereal energy, creating an illusion of planets orbiting his hand.

THANOS: (mocking) The Force, a mere parlor trick compared to my cosmic might. I could extinguish stars with a thought.

Vader's mechanical breathing intensifies, and his crimson lightsaber crackles with malevolent energy.

DARTH VADER: (advancing) Then let our power decide, Titan. Only one can rule the universe.

Thanos steps off his throne, and the two powerful beings face off in the darkened throne room, the fate of the universe hanging in the balance.

FADE OUT.

-----

It may be trite, but it isn't awful. Creators do need to figure out a way to harness and embrace this technology, and as much as I hate oversight, they may have a point that something needs to be done to protect their jobs and their industry.

The more I play around with this, the implications for comics writing are downright scary. Here's another interaction with ChatGPT that literally took no more than 1 minute:

My prompt (this is exactly as I wrote it): How would Barbara Gordon confront the Joker after the events in the Killing Joke?

ChatGPT's answer: After the events of "The Killing Joke," where the Joker brutally paralyzed Barbara Gordon, Barbara, now operating as Oracle, would confront the Joker in a very different way than when she was Batgirl. Here's a hypothetical scenario of how Barbara Gordon, as Oracle, might confront the Joker:

INT. ORACLE'S HIDDEN BASE - NIGHT

Barbara Gordon sits in front of an array of computer monitors, her wheelchair parked beside her. The screens display various surveillance feeds and information about the Joker's recent activities.

ORACLE: (speaking into a microphone) "Batman, I've tracked down the Joker's location. He's holed up in an abandoned amusement park."

BATMAN: (voice over the comm) "Oracle, be cautious. The Joker is unpredictable."

Barbara nods, her expression determined. She uses her computer skills to tap into the Gotham City Police Department's radio frequencies, gathering information about the Joker's movements.

ORACLE: "Commissioner Gordon, this is Oracle. I've located the Joker's hideout. I need your officers to surround the area."

COMMISSIONER GORDON: (over the radio) "Copy that, Oracle. We're en route."

As Barbara coordinates the efforts of the police and Batman, she continues to monitor the Joker's hideout. She also cross-references the Joker's known associates and recent activities, looking for any patterns or clues.

BATMAN: (voice over the comm) "Oracle, I'm entering the amusement park now. Stay on comms."

Barbara watches the live feeds as Batman stealthily infiltrates the Joker's lair. She listens to their conversation through Batman's communicator.

JOKER: (taunting) "Oh, Batsy, you're here to play? I hope you brought your sense of humor!"

BATMAN: (stoic) "This ends tonight, Joker."

Barbara's fingers fly across the keyboard, hacking into the Joker's communication devices. She records the conversation as evidence.

Suddenly, the Joker triggers a trap, causing an explosion in Batman's vicinity. Barbara's heart races as she watches Batman barely escape the blast.

ORACLE: (frantic) "Batman, are you okay?"

BATMAN: (coughing) "I'm fine. Keep tracking him, Oracle."

Barbara continues to monitor the situation, providing real-time information to Batman and the police. She guides Batman through the perilous maze of the amusement park, her determination unwavering.

As the confrontation reaches its climax, Barbara's technological skills and unwavering resolve prove crucial in ensuring that justice is served, without having to directly face the Joker physically. Her transformation into Oracle represents her transition from a vigilant hero to a brilliant strategist and information hub for the heroes of Gotham City.

-----

My follow-up prompt (again, exactly as I wrote it): What would Barbara Gordon say if she were face-to-face with the Joker after the events of the Killing Joke?

ChatGPT's answer: If Barbara Gordon, as Oracle, were to come face-to-face with the Joker after the traumatic events of "The Killing Joke," it's likely that her words would be filled with a mix of emotions, including anger, sorrow, and determination. Here's a hypothetical dialogue:

INT. A DIMLY LIT ROOM - NIGHT

Barbara Gordon, in her wheelchair, is unexpectedly in the same room as the Joker, who's restrained and surrounded by security personnel.

JOKER: (grinning maniacally) "Well, well, well, look who decided to drop by. Babs, my dear, how's the back?"

Barbara's eyes narrow, but she maintains her composure.

ORACLE: (calmly) "You always did have a twisted sense of humor, Joker. But let's talk about your little 'joke' from that night."

The Joker's grin widens, relishing the confrontation.

JOKER: (mocking) "Oh, that little misunderstanding? It was just a bit of fun, my dear. I'm a performance artist, after all."

Barbara takes a deep breath, fighting back tears of anger and frustration.

ORACLE: (firmly) "You shattered my life that night, Joker. You took away my mobility, but you didn't break my spirit. I've become something you never expected."

The Joker's expression briefly changes from amusement to curiosity.

JOKER: (raising an eyebrow) "Oh, and what's that, dear Oracle?"

Barbara leans forward in her wheelchair, her eyes locked onto the Joker's.

ORACLE: (with determination) "I've become the one who's going to ensure that you never hurt anyone again. I'm the voice that guides justice, the eye that never blinks, and the one who'll make sure your madness ends."

The Joker's laughter echoes through the room, but Barbara remains resolute.

JOKER: (laughing) "Oh, Barbara, you're almost as crazy as me now! But isn't that what Gotham does to us all?"

Barbara nods, her gaze unwavering.

ORACLE: "No, Joker, you're wrong. Gotham needs heroes. It needs people who'll stand up to monsters like you, even from behind a keyboard."

As Barbara turns away, leaving the Joker to his laughter, her words linger in the air, a testament to her strength and her commitment to fighting the darkness he represents.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 9/2/2023 at 8:23 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

The more I play around with this, the implications for comics writing are downright scary.

Where some people are getting in their heads today, I was already at when AI broke to the public.

The far reaching implications are so obvious to me. We're seeing an entire decimation of the need for MOST human involvement but the elimination of most of the creative team seems inevitable. 

Just look at what the writer did above for that Graphic novel. He is self admitting that he can not draw and yet that work is incredible. 

On 9/2/2023 at 7:30 PM, VintageComics said:

Where some people are getting in their heads today, I was already at when AI broke to the public.

The far reaching implications are so obvious to me. We're seeing an entire decimation of the need for MOST human involvement but the elimination of most of the creative team seems inevitable. 

Just look at what the writer did above for that Graphic novel. He is self admitting that he can not draw and yet that work is incredible. 

The crazy thing is, as a consumer, I would love to be at a point where I could say "create a full comic sequel to The Killing Joke using Alan Moore's writing style and Brian Bolland's art style, and make me a central character." I mean, how cool would that be? But I also understand it would be a soulless ripoff, and it would basically be stealing Moore and Bolland's talents. So how do you reconcile that?